Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-06-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
Hi all:
i dont post as much as i read over here. i currently own a 2001 mastercraft x-10, I've got a buyer wanting to pay 25k for my boat with out the trailer and i have 800 hours on it. so i think that a good price for me on my boat, and at about 150 hours a season i am so close to a 1000 hours i think i better go for the deal.

Now talking to the dealer they have a 2012 vandal with all the trimmings including the corvette ls3.
http://skidock.com/Page.aspx/diid/76...l-Edition.aspx
I really like the boat i do 70/30 wake to surf. but the x-10 is a shallow v and loading it down to surf is a bit scary by the time i get a decent wake. and i have no perfect pass so cruise is a nice upgrade ect.

my question is: if i go get a new mastercraft which i love the brand at best i can afford a 08 maybe a 09. and would be hoping for a x-30 nice boat but hard to find. anything newer i just can't afford,

Axis being a younger boat but made by BU seem better the moomba for holding there value but i don't think it will do as good as an MC or BU. so comments there

but i have been searching around and the only thing i really see a complaint with is Vinyl. any others out there. i mean all boats have there issues look at what MC went though with the power tower. but what is every ones experience good and bad. give me some food for thought before i go from paid off to payment lol
Old     (AXISA20)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-06-2014, 9:39 PM Reply   
I have an axis and your right the vinyl sucks. But... The boat kicks ass, the wake is sick and the price point can't be beat. Forget all the other comments about the $100,000 boats. Axis can't be beat for the quality BEHIND the boat for the price.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2014, 9:50 PM Reply   
If you're worried about running low with an x10 surfing the A22 isn't going to be much better. It's going to sit just as low and the bow even lower when loaded up.

However the wakeboard wake on the A22 will absolutely blow your x10 away. It will be bigger , steeper, and just have way more kick. You will be like a kid in a candy store coming off that very mellowed out , soft x10 wake. Obviously plug and play on the A22 will give you that. Quality wise I own a 2000 Star. I can tell you will everyone rags on the vinyl it's still steps above your current X10 vinyl and the overall quality is still on par with you're x10 of that era. It's a very straight forward simple boat. Much like the old boats of the era you have. Which we all know are bomb proof from the demand and price they still fetch. Sure when compare to a Malibu , Nautique , and MC of this era it may seem like a slug in comparison to all the flashiness and gadgetry but there is something said for simplicity and longevity. My boat has close to 1200hrs on it. It's seen the shop outside of preventive maintenance 2 times it's entire life. No computers and bs to fiddle with. If I have an issue it's easy to diagnose and I do all my oil winterization, and trouble shoots. The Axis will allow you to continue this. 12-13-14 Acis really started evolving and upgrading some of the little things like vinyl and hardware. When they first hit the scene all I could think was Bayliner. However that 12-13 upgrade years have really propelled them in my eyes.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-06-2014, 10:38 PM Reply   
I agree with swatguy! The wake on a a22 compared to an x 10 is night and day better.
Old     (Jwredmon101)      Join Date: May 2014       06-07-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
Yeah the resale value on a Axis might be higher because of the fan boys BUT, it wont sell for crap when you sink it cause it has no foam in it ... Scared about the MC when you surf.. Be scared on a axis to.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-07-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
No foam!!!
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-07-2014, 7:47 AM Reply   
thank everyone for the input. same swatguy that is on team talk? i like the fact that there is no computers, i do almost all my own work on my x-10 and its easy enough only send to my mechanic for repairs i don't want to do. And part of me want to be in it to win it with the x10. i did redo the interior of mine last year.

Lets talk about the foam. from what i have read that is a BU build thing, so even if i go look at this 2009 wakesetter its gonna be the same thing with the foam unless i am off my research.

the last problem i am facing is i could hold out for a 08 09 MC x30 if i could just find one. and find one while the people are still interested in my boat.

thanks for all the input would like to hear more.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-07-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
the axis imo is the best wakeboat you can buy for the money. simplicity is a plus with it and shouldn't be made into a negative. if the vinyl is that big a a deal get a nice custom job done when its needed. until then enjoy a mackin wake, an awesome looking boat, and a great value for the money. I think you would make a smart choice as I have ridden with a friend that owns one and was very impressed with its performance
Old     (Jwredmon101)      Join Date: May 2014       06-07-2014, 10:12 AM Reply   
Not talking about the seat foam.. We are talking about floatation foam.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-07-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
Oh I know it's not the seat foam lol
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-07-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwredmon101 View Post
Yeah the resale value on a Axis might be higher because of the fan boys BUT, it wont sell for crap when you sink it cause it has no foam in it ... Scared about the MC when you surf.. Be scared on a axis to.
If you're worried about sinking a boat surfing, you shouldn't own ANY boat. There's not a roller that can be made on an average inland lake that a good boat driver can't deal with.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-07-2014, 11:19 AM Reply   
Same Swat Assume same cwarndhal feel free to hit me up over there in pm if you want. Personally I have heard the T22 surfs better and is pretty darn close to the same wakeboard wake. It also sits higher in the water and has a bit more gunwale. It's also more of a bu finished look inside. Just something to ponder.

The foam issue is a non issue and an absurd argument.

Last edited by xstarrider; 06-07-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-07-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
Would be absurd if there wasn't a thread on the axis forum about a someone sinking their axis from a roller while surfing with NO ballast
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-07-2014, 2:27 PM Reply   
I've seen plenty of boats with foam at the bottom of the lake as well. First hand experience with an x45 and a Nautique 230 on Lake Michigan our dive team handled. Also watched a 2007 XStar loaded up w/ 9 people on Lake of The Ozarks in 2008, on 4th of July weekend , go down just outside of party cove. It hit a roller and submarined . That is why there is no requirement at all for it to be used in watercraft. Hell there's plenty of pics floating around on Wakeworld of "foam" boats at the bottom. Just because the tower stays above water doesn't mean it didn't sink. The foam allows some neutral bouyancy to a point, but in the end all depends on how the boat goes down. Foam will not save you from operator error or bad weather. It's laughable to insinuate that it's a build quality aspect that makes something superior and any boat without it is doomed. Is it different ? Yes. The companies that use it, use it to fill voids and air pockets due to their designs not to keep a sinking boat afloat.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-07-2014, 6:43 PM Reply   
Well I went for a second look today, I did find 3 holes in the vinyl 2 on corners and one on the swim deck, man it was thin. An then then the price wasent as good as we thought it was gonna be. Had a 2011 x-25 come in and we are going to look at that Tuesday.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-07-2014, 7:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livesound View Post
Axis being a younger boat but made by BU seem better the moomba for holding there value but i don't think it will do as good as an MC or BU. so comments there
I can guarantee that your current boat, being a 2001, will hold it's value far better than any 2012 boat. Your X-10 is pretty close to fully depreciated at this point. Given the ridiculous inflation rate over the last few years in new boat prices your X-10 will probably be worth the same in 5 or 10 years regaurdless of hours if you keep it looking and running good.

Get the new boat if you want but there's no way to justify it from a depreciation/"value holding" perspective. Even if you need a rebuilt engine and/or transmission in the next couple of years that would likely cost less than the Axis will depreciate in 1-2 years of ownership.

This is not a slight against Axis or a pro-MC statement. The same would apply if you had a 2001 Malibu and were contemplating the purchase of a 2012 MC.

Last edited by Jeff; 06-07-2014 at 7:34 PM.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-08-2014, 4:23 PM Reply   
Really we are going to talk about boats with no foam in them sinking. I'm not going to call anyone out because I wasn't there to witness ant of those situations but I can assure you that any boat on the market can and will be sunk at some point. If you do not know how to drive you can and will sink a boat.

From what I understand the boat in question was being driven by a guy with little to no experience. I have taken water on in all three of the boats I have owned (2 Axis and 1 MB) never thought I was going down even when the wife filled the boat with a couple inches of water.

Axis boats are great boats as are others. I would say get a 13 or 14 if you can overall quality of interior will be better.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-08-2014, 10:26 PM Reply   
I love my Axis. It would be hard to sell me another boat, even a BU. The wake is extremely hard to screw up and it is always great.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-09-2014, 8:36 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff I appreciate the straight forward talk, I have been boat shooing I decided not to buy the axis, long story but found a few things I didn't like with the previous care of the boat. I think it may be hard to buy a new boat do to my x-10 I put a new Interoir last year and gel coat looks awesome and the boat has never let me down. So buying a new boat is a becuase I can and some of the features in new boats are kinda cool.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-09-2014, 8:38 PM Reply   
I agree with you texas, I have had a ballast bag break while
Pumping water into my boat while I was at my doc and didn't notice till the water came up through the floor board, and no fear of it sinking, but te fear at check out with a new starter and alternator was legit
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-11-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
No offense to Axis but if you can afford that 2011 X25 I would go that route for sure. Such a sweet boat. To me the best boat in the line up for MC. Just some guys opinion on the interweb is all.
Old     (Livesound)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-13-2014, 9:49 PM Reply   
Well I bought the mc x25 the 2011