Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-29-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
Working through my boat camping plans for the summer. Looking at doing Powell 1-3 times this summer but will be camping rather than house boating. I'm looking for ideas on great tent camping sites and on how to get all my gear and and gas out there and minimize trips back to the marina.

Basic plan is to put in at Halls or bullfrog (*i live in Colorado Springs) and then drive 20-30 miles or so up river and set up camp. I've gone south the past couple of years and have been underwhelmed by the quality of water. Any recs for locations north of bullfrog?

Also, looking for ideas of a gear/gas hauler. We can fit all the gear in the boat (22 footer) without too much effort. The bigger issue is gas. I burn through about 20-30 gallons of gas per day on average so need about 150 gallons for the week. That means I need to figure out a way to get ~125 gallons of gas out there. Any ideas? I'm thinking of figuring out some sort of Jon boat based barge that I could put the gas into but am a little to a lot concerned that it will end up sinking while towing it.

Thanks

Bakes
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-29-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
Rent a pontoon boat and it should free up some room for gas. I think a 150 gallons of fuel would be too much for a jon boat. If you could put half the fuel in your boat and the other half on a jon boat, then that might work. 150 gallons x 6.25lbs per gallon = 937.5lbs. I don't think jon boats are rated for that kind of weight.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-29-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
I've definitely thought about the pontoon boat option. It is my plan of I cannot come up with a satisfactory camping plan.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-29-2014, 7:07 PM Reply   
I don't know the upper lake very well, but when we do a camping trip out of Wahweap, we find a spot not far from Dangling Rope so gas is never an issue. I've done the pontoon thing too and unless we have a big group, it is easier to camp nearer the gas.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-30-2014, 1:31 AM Reply   
Well....I did the math and having a pontoon boat (*or any houseboat, pontoon, etc) costs quite a bit. The only way it is cost effective is if you go several times per year. If you are a hit powell every year or two kind of person it is definitely cheaper to rent...especially if you go off season.

Even without a pontoon or house boat, a week on the lake will cost about $500 car gas, $75/ day boat gas = $375 assuming 5 days boating, food=$35/day more than normal=$245 for 7 days. That comes out to about $1130 for a week on Powell if you camp. Adding a houseboat with houseboat gas costs between $3500 and $10000+ depending.

Anyways, for this year, I think I am going to try and figure out a good way to transport gear and gas to a remote site. Jon boats have a published weight limit of about 500-600 pounds for a 12 footer. I wonder if I can go up 1000 if I keep the weight low and put a cover on it. I've definitely seen 1200 pounds of bubba in them down on the red river.

Someone should start a resupply service on Powell where they boat in supplies to folks at remote campgrounds.