Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       06-21-2020, 2:47 PM Reply   
I'm new to the board. Thanks for having me. I'm doing a fractional ownership with a few friends on a new boat. We all have young kids. We'll do a lot of cruising and some surfing and wakeboarding. I'm in Austin Texas so we have pretty much every brand due to our nice lakes. We need a big boat because Lake Travis has huge boats that throw massive wakes so the ladies want a smooth dry ride even on Saturday which is why we decided on 23ft+. Seriously considering a Nautique G25, Centurion RI25, Tige 25RX. Haven't really looked at Malibu yet. Staying under 200k. What would you guys do if it were your money and why? A great surf wave and fuel efficiency are concerns. Thanks in advance.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       06-22-2020, 4:44 AM Reply   
I just looked at the 24-25 footers and purchased a Supra SE. In addition to the Supra SE, I looked at the Nautique G25, Centurion Ri257, and Mastercraft X24.

First, the surf wakes were great on all of these but I ruled out the G25 because the wake is not adjustable. While the Nautique build quality was the best, their tech for making the wave is clearly behind the other guys. They have the least amount of ballast, slowest fill time, and least wake adjustments. The boat also felt smaller than the others to me. The Centurion Ri257 is huge. Clearly larger than the other boats. I ruled it out because of the dealer and the bow rise. It had the most bow rise of any boat by far. It seems to love bow rise to make a big wake. I ruled out the Mastercraft mostly on price but it was also a fantastic boat with a great wake. I did not consider Malibu at all because the little I looked at the boat show, it was clear these guys have fallen way behind in quality and fit and finish. I went with the Supra SE because it had the most freeboard, great adjustable wake, Autowake, loads of features not found on other boats, and they are known for their fantastic customer service. Supra fit and finish is impressive at this point though I would knock them slightly for the way the interior of some of the storage compartments are finished with cheap carpet which looks like a left handed 3rd grader with right handed scissors made the cuts. Nobody is perfect I guess. I've been using the Supra Autowake and love that I don't need to worry about the wake changing as people move around the boat. This was one thing that bugged me in all my prior inboards. When surfing or wakeboarding, someone would move to a different seat and suddenly the wake changed. Once you dial in your wake, you simply put your settings into Autowake and it can compensate for people moving around the boat. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. Look at all the details of each boat and it will become clear which is right for you. It did for me after a thorough search.
Old     (Xbigpun66)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-22-2020, 12:39 PM Reply   
G25 wake is not adjustable? There are 7 settings for NSS and also the center wake plate. The new G has higher velocity pumps. Way better made boat than Supra.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       06-22-2020, 1:01 PM Reply   
The G25 has the least adjustable wake out of all the boats I looked at. The NSS does not do much of anything to change the wake shape when compared to Centurion and Supra. NSS was great at the time Nautique came out with it but it is a pretty dated system at this point. NSS is a delayed convergence device which does next to nothing to shape the wake or change the "steepness". It all depends what you are looking for. If you like the Nautique wake shape and never want to change it, then it could be a good boat for you. I wanted more control over my wake shape. The G25 is slower to fill the small(ish) amount of factory ballast compared to the other boats I looked at. All the boat manufacturers use the exact same pumps but Supra has 6 pumps while the G25 has 3 pumps. All 6 Supra pumps are use for both filling and emptying. I've crawled all over all of these boats and researched them thoroughly. I don't have owner goggled like most. I'll go with the best boat for me each time I buy. I've owned various inboard wakeboats for the last 20 years. My first was a 1999 with a massive 450 pounds of factory ballast. Seems funny by today's standards. At any rate, they are all great boats but all have their advantages and disadvantages. I pointed out a few of them and mentioned my reasoning. As I said, you can't go wrong with any of these and each person must go through all the big and little details and it will become apparent which boat is right for each of us. If we all looked for the same things in a boat, we'd all be driving the same boat and there would only be one manufacturer and one model.

Last edited by tre; 06-22-2020 at 1:06 PM.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-23-2020, 3:39 AM Reply   
If wakesurfing is your primary in no particular order I would say Tige, Centurion, and Supra
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       06-23-2020, 9:22 PM Reply   
Thanks so much for the in depth recommendation Tre. That really helps. I have heard the G series are not adjustable as well. We looked at the Mastercraft X26 yesterday and the fit and finish is in a class by itself. I'm looking at supra tomorrow.
Old     (BLucas86)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-24-2020, 4:06 AM Reply   
The Tige 25ZX is an absolute surf monster. Comes fully loaded and will not disappoint, given the priorities you mentioned. Supra makes a great looking rig, but be ready to add some lead to get it surfing close to the 25ZX. The Centurion is overpriced for what you actually get, although the wave is $$.

Good luck in the hunt.