Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    jimmyboulton            07-06-2018, 4:33 PM Reply   
Hi all! I’m new to this forum and am in need of some help selecting my first wake boarding boat. I am 24 years old and am an Air Force pilot student to give you some perspective on myself. I will list out the three boats with pictures of each, a little about them, and the price. I ask if you can give me your opinion on each and some things to consider, thanks guys!

Boat 1: 2001 Moomba Kanga
-12k dollars
- mercrusier 5.7 350 engine only 670 hours
- New interior. Monster wakeboard tower with Probox Pro 2's 10 inch tower speakers
- comes with a tube, wakeboard, surfboard, and life jackets
- First three pictures

Boat 2: 2002 Supra Launch
- 21' long with a 98" beam
- 320 Hp indmar assault direct drive engine
- Hour meter says 960 but I'm guessing has about 500
- Fourth through 6th picture

Boat 3: 2002 Moomba Mobius LSV
- V-Drive
- “Low hours” don’t know how low yet
- Last two pictures
Attached Images

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-06-2018, 5:19 PM Reply   
Of those three I would pick the Supra Launch. It will sound crazy to say go with a DD over the LSV, but... those old Supras are super deep boats with tons of freeboard. The seats are nice and high up off the floor. For a DD, there is a fair amount of storage. The Moombas of that era we’re not the best built boats, fit and finish, lots of rattles and creaking, thin vinyl prone to tear, etc...

Both of those Moombas will sit low in the water and the seat bases will be very short and close to the floor. You can get a good wake out of the Supra for sure, the LSV can do ok, the Kanga I don’t know about.

I wouldn’t let the hours scare you off, it’s actually better for an engine to be used than sitting all the time. If you are serious, pay for the owner to take it to a shop and get a compression test. There are a bunch of other things to check out before buying, search the forum or maybe some others will chip in. If I think of any more and get some time I’ll add to the list.
Old    jimmyboulton            07-06-2018, 5:56 PM Reply   
Awesome thanks for the advice. Still looking for more!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-07-2018, 8:07 AM Reply   
Get the LSV, vdrive boats are much easier to set up, they are more comfortable to be in and you will benefit from the flexibility to sell it if you want to upgrade later. Also, had a friend with similar boat, not the best boat in that era but worked well, simple electronics and easy to fix if needed. nothing against the DD, just a dead boat in todays market.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       07-07-2018, 6:20 PM Reply   
Laughlin, Vance, Columbus, or Shepherd? Honest opinion? Focus on graduating UPT, getting thru IFF, FTU, or Initial Qual, figure out what base you will be at and then decide on a boat...are you active duty or guard/reserve?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-08-2018, 7:29 PM Reply   
V drive. You are going to want space. V drive first then the launch not the Kanga.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-09-2018, 2:48 PM Reply   
LSV all day I had a 04 that was bulletproof. 500 a side and ibs and the wakeboard wake was money.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-09-2018, 5:06 PM Reply   
Vdrive is kind of a no brainer if it is clean. That price is about half what it would sell for here, so I would be a little suspicious, but at the same time pounce on it fast if it is legit
Old     (MikeB313)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-24-2018, 12:29 PM Reply   
LSV for sure. Go with V-drive,you won't regret it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-25-2018, 9:08 AM Reply   
Lsv
Old     (pimpind)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-25-2018, 12:13 PM Reply   
2006 Mastercaft X1 for $20k if you are interested. New interior!
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       07-25-2018, 3:50 PM Reply   
I think I'd go with the LSV as well. Lower hours and much better ballast options with the v-drive.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-25-2018, 5:10 PM Reply   
Holy crap thats cheap. Take a look at the X1 as long as you dont want to surf. I have an 2002 xstar I would not sell below 28ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpind View Post
2006 Mastercaft X1 for $20k if you are interested. New interior!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-29-2018, 2:45 PM Reply   
V Drive All. DAY. LONG....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-30-2018, 7:35 AM Reply   
V-drive.... anything else will have you looking to buy a V-drive in like 2-3 years.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2018, 7:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
V-drive.... anything else will have you looking to buy a V-drive in like 2-3 years.

Absolutely the truth!