Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-18-2017, 5:26 PM Reply   
Anyone who has surfed a 2016 or 17 Axis A20 that can give a review of the surf wave on it? Haven't had an opportunity to get behind one but interested.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-18-2017, 8:16 PM Reply   
Tested it last year.
I changed my boat last summer and tested a lot of model.
Got an A20 for a fullday and that was enough for me!

This is just my personal opinion.

Before starting my shopping for a new boat Axis was my first choice. I never saw one on my lake, I like the look it's aggressive.
But after testing it.. i found that boat wasn't for me.
First thing I observed is the quality. I found the quality poor for the price. Windshield is shaking when speeding with the wind (because Axis opted for a straight windshield with no sides), after that you have the vinyl. Very thin, pretty much sure 2years and it's all scratch up..
I don't want to bash or anything. Malibu makes really good boats but I think their Axis division need some new. Their models have not change since 2014 and many lack can be fix.
Moomba offers very aggressive price these days just for example (lot lower than Axis) and many material are better..

Axis is the only boat that not have a monohull. It's all small pieces put together and that's not so good.. when you take big waves sometimes you hear crack noise coming from nowhere. And that's the reason why axis have so many stress cracks issue too.
It's all covered and they respect their warranty really good but.. you know take your boat out mid season for a month job is not very nice.

BUT. They are still great boat. They have their cons and their pos too. Like all brand
Axis is the best boat for wakeboarding, no doubt about it. It's built for that.
Look great, not much electronic too so less long term problems

Surfing it always depends on your personal feeling.
I surf a lot and been surfing For more than 5years now. And wouldn't recommand Axis for a primary surfing person. Surfgate works well. It push a monster wave perfect for skim board. But I almost never skim anymore. 95% surfstyle so I forgot Axis at the end of my testing day..
if you wakeboarding 50% and surfing 50% it could be a great boat but if you are surfing more I think you can get a better bang for the buck.
Centurion, tige, MB sport and much more. Even Moomba are really competitive now, it's not like it was back in the days.

But it's just my personal opinion!
Hope it help!

Last edited by Mike88; 05-18-2017 at 8:22 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-19-2017, 4:18 AM Reply   
If you're looking for a 20' drug boat you can't beat a Moomba Helix or Mondo for the money. Waaaaay better quality and performance than an Axis. Sorry but it's true. The interior of the Axis is pretty sad, and it's not a very good surfing hull.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-19-2017, 5:22 AM Reply   
Axis does need a refresh/upgrade imo as well.....

Several years ago they were at the top in their respective market. It was hard to beat what they offered, at the price they offered it for........ but then, skiers choice seriously reworked the moomba lineup, and set a new standard for a price point wakeboat. I expect axis will be refreshing stuff very soon, but they are seriously behind right now, in my opinion.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-19-2017, 8:30 AM Reply   
Axis made significant changes to the A20 in 2016; supposedly a better hull, much better upholstery, and for some reason they seem to change the (plastic) dash every year. Anyway, I bought a 2016 A20 last year and I'm a total beginner at surfing but we were really happy with it. With the wedge, surf gate, and dealer-installed PNP ballast, it's easy to set up, get up, and start surfing. I'll put 2 videos below but this is with only 4 people in the boat (kids). The wave cleans up and gets a lot longer if you put an adult or two in the bow (or another sac).

I'm actually really happy with the boat. The wakeboard wave is sweet (previous boats I owned: 89 mastercraft prostar 190, 04 sanger v210). Surf wave (to me) is great, but I've never tried to surf anything else. We don't have any rattles, shakes, cracks, or anything weird, even in rough water. It definitely doesn't perform as well as the V210, but the boat is significantly taller and we didn't expect it to perform as well. When I say performance I'm more talking about maneuvering, not power. I have the base engine and it's more than enough to pull wakeboarders and surfers even with full pnp ballast and a bunch of people.

I've had to have a few warranty repairs done: upholstery blemishes that were there when I bought it (dealer replaced the skin), a cup holder popping out (duct was run poorly and was pushing up on it), stereo kept freezing up (dealer replaced head unit), and the center fiberglass floor cover (separate from the hull) had cracks all over it, which they repaired (note: this is a cover for an access hole, not part of the hull itself). The repairs were done over the winter so I didn't have any downtime.

Yes, there is a lot of plastic in the boat. Glove box, dash, etc. However the boat is significantly cheaper than comparables (even moomba, when I was looking) and we haven't had any mechanical or electrical or hull issues at all.

We have had a number of problems with the axis-brand trailer. Poor wiring, crappy paint, improper bunk placement that made loading the boat problematic. After a little bit of back-and-forth with the dealer, and a single phone call to Axis customer support, the trailer is being completely stripped and repainted, the bunks repositioned, and the wiring fixed up. A couple other people have had problems similar to this (on axis forums), but most people don't have any issues. I'm happy that Axis/Malibu took care of the problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKA...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Tj...ature=youtu.be
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2017, 9:11 AM Reply   
Axis just updated hulls and towers. So I don't know what you guys are talking about.

I've had 6 Mastercrafts, 4 Malibu's, and am now on my second Axis. Axis is a great Wakeboard boat, although I don't know anything about Wakesurfing. And the best part.....I rode the hell out of the last one for 2 years and sold it for close to what I paid. They are holding value very well.

Every builder produces a few bad boats. Sometimes you end up in a bad one. But as stated above, most companies take care of it.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       05-21-2017, 4:42 AM Reply   
You have had 6 Mastercrafts and 4 Malibus and now you have a Axis what happended to make you downgrade so far?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2017, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
You have had 6 Mastercrafts and 4 Malibus and now you have a Axis what happended to make you downgrade so far?
Funny that you look at it that way. It doesn't feel like a downgrade. But boats got expensive.

All I need is a big wake and speed control. When boats got too expensive, I eliminated the flashy **** that some people are willing to pay extra for. None of that bling stuff and touch screen made my day on the water any better in the slightest. Given my priorities I'd say the Axis was an upgrade. The wakeboard wake is incredible - better than the MXZ in my experience (I owned 3 of them), but I haven't ridden the 2017 hull.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-24-2017, 6:21 AM Reply   
If they didn't have 20 year mortgages every one who couldn't write a check
Would own an axis or moomba