Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-28-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
any info on whats happening with this? hopefully chris walker will chime in
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
From the NWL website, seems they are still fundraising............which will prob be the case for a looong time, so ask all your relatives for money. Hopefully a little light can be shed on this event, like what the two rounds are, normal NWL or what?

South Indy, IN Got Cable? Special Event SPONSORED BY INDIANA RIDERS CLUB

Sunday, 6/15/2008 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM

Got Cable? Fund Raiser For BRING TO INDY
If We Build It - They Will Come!!!
USA Wakeboard Olympic Training Center.
Bring all Pledge Monies with you to the event.
Checks Payable to: Indiana Riders Club

ASK: your boss, teacher, neighbor, coach, doctor, dentist, grandparents, and everyone else!

8 miles south of 465 off St Rd 37. Then turn right or East on Old State Rd 37. ¼ mile on right. 2 rounds $40. Save $10 pre-register by 5/25/08 by sending $30 to Indiana Riders Club 412 S Brittain Muncie IN 47303. h2obug@comcast.net 765-744-6310
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-28-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Cable park in Indiana?!?!?!?!?! DANG!

to bad its south Indiana... atleast its closer to me then Orlando!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
It's not happening, only speculation. Cincy's will be the closest to you Nathan.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
and its scheduled to open next year
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-29-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
No not south Indiana! This location will be 20 minutes from downtown Indy.

We are about 30 days from the official press release but here is an update.

Everything is on track for spring 09. We are well into the development stage. Campground Plan has been approved, Zoning has been approved, Onsite plan has been done by Blake at Cable Wake parks. We are finishing up erosion control plan which is a big big issue specific to this location. The cost of erosion control is a major expense and could be a deal breaker so thats why we have not done the official press release.

Why the fundraising?

Our business plan includes Angel investors that will launch the project with a buy/sell agreement to a 503c non profit foundation on a 3 to 7 year exit plan. The 503c will be a local affiliate of USA Wakeboard which is a member of the International Water Ski Federation (world governing body), the Pan American Sports Organization and the United States Olympic Committee.

To bring USA Wakeboard Olympic Training Center to Indy is very clear. 42% membership is in the Midwest, Indy is home of the most attended WWA National Championship both in 2003 & 2004. Indy is the amature sports capital of the world with headquarters of NCAA, USA Gymnastics, USA Diving and more.

Just as soon as we have to total cost of development we will be publishing the Pro Forma for investors along with initializing the local affiliate of the 503c.

We are planning a great event on June 15th, with tours of all 9 lakes within the 330 acre grounds. More details to come on the event
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-30-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Chris,
I want in on this! I have an idea so when you get a chance hit me up!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-30-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
Sounds too big for its own britches. Olympic training facility to a midwest state? the sport isn't an Olympic sport. 42% of membership? How far do you think people will actually drive? Seems like you're jumping past the local market, and dreaming of something too big. I was at the boat show, I saw the plans and filled out the survey (market info). Why not try one lake, then after it is successful transition into the big plan? I'm ALL for a cable in Indy, but this is not the way to go about it IMO. This is just unrealistic, what happens in the winter? What happens when attendance goes down because more cables open up around the nation and world? This seems to be similar to the USA waterski headquarters lake, and other items they have been involved with, I'm sure you know the status and story of Lake Grew?. I'm very interested in how this is truely expected to work. Memberships of $1000 or $2000!?!?! I've also got a lot of ideas, that are business and financially related. Open a cable, but don't try and turn it into a Mecca right off the bat, you can't one up OWC anyway.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-30-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
A-Dub just to clear up some issues. The campground is the driving force in the plan and is the main source of revenue. We will offer very nice large RV lots with Log Cabin Rentals. Cable is just one of the playgrounds at the 330 acre park. BTW we are only starting out with 1 cable but we have site plan up to 4 for future development.

Another playground will be the 2 wakeboard boat lakes. We will have to limit usage to only 30 memberships per lake and restricted by 10 days year for tournaments. We will welcome WWA Nationals back to Indy, NWL Nationals, Cable Nationals, and support local clubs such as Indiana Riders Club, IU, Purdue, and Ball State.

A great beach with some water features will be another playground with plans to expand to a water park.

About Olympic sports. Austin Hair was the first wakeboarder to compete at the Pan American Games in 2007. http://www.usoc.org/11638_53083.htm

(Message edited by redsupralaunch on April 30, 2008)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-30-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Makes more sense than I had previously heard. I obviously didn't talk to you at the boat show. Will there be only wakeboard lakes or will there be a 3-event lake as well? Thanks for the response!
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
I have been to the site and it is beautiful! So much potential! I grew up in the midwest and missed it after touring the property with Chris. He has a very realistic growth plan but as he mentioned, a lot depends on the Campground as the driving force. I haven't met many people as dedicated to the sport as Chris and I hope everyone realizes the hard work he is putting in to try to make this park a reality!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-01-2008, 5:08 AM Reply   
Chris, it's good you got Blake helping you out with this. He's done an amazing job with TSR, I can't think of any other place I'd rather be.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-01-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Chris, it is hard for me to talk about this at work so could you call me around 8-830 tonight? I really intrested in helping out and I have a few ideas on some places to get some more cash!