Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-17-2014, 12:46 AM Reply   
I recently picked up a Sony Z1S, the waterproof smartphone.
This season I plan on slapping a floating case on it for, syncing it up to the boat stereo via bluetooth and literally managing my own playlist while surfing.
No more having someone in the boat try to navigate to the perfect track for your moment, just do it on the fly in the surf.
On the boat I normally ride, we are running the WS420SQ EQ as the main head unit and just using an AUX in for the music from our phones. What would be the best hard wired bluetooth to 3.5mm audio jack with the best range and sound quality?
I figure the range we'd be working with while surfing is maybe 20-25 feet back from the head unit.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-17-2014, 3:24 AM Reply   
I am sure you have looked into this already.

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WW-VC-BT.html
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-17-2014, 5:43 AM Reply   
Yep, Wet Sounds BT!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-17-2014, 8:00 AM Reply   
$100 seems like a lot of dough for this.

Wonder how this works?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541ISFM...lu-ISFM21.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_079AIRW...0.html?tp=8395

Last edited by scottb7; 02-17-2014 at 8:08 AM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-17-2014, 8:26 AM Reply   
Thanks for the follow up links. The wetsounds was the first one we looked at, but it is kinda spendy for what it is.
The Cobra one looks pretty compact and straight forward. Also the fact that it has a battery with 15 hours of playtime is kinda cool too so you wouldn't necessarily need to hard wire it. We would still probably hardwire it in with a usb charger on the key.
We have also thought of this one as well
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-...iliary+adapter
It's around the same price point as the Cobra one, but it doesn't spec the range like the Cobra does. I know most bluetooth devices have an effective range of about 30-35 feet in theory, but Cobra does spec it as "effective" range, not maximum range.
I think that one might be the way to go. Thank you for your replies.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-17-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
The wetsounds was the first one we looked at, but it is kinda spendy for what it is.
Marine unit
Volume control with track forward
hard wired power so no need to remember to take unit with you to charge or install an additional USB charging port
The Sound quality and range of the Wet Sounds BT are far better then units similar to the Cobra, the Miccus and Avantalk
1V line level
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-17-2014, 9:08 AM Reply   
The volume control and track forward are more convenience options, but definitely something worth taking into account. Also it looks like they're going for $75 all day long, a little price drop from what I remember when I first looked at them.
I think the cleanliness of the install and the easy convenience might be worth the extra money. Not to mention if the sound quality and range is better.
It would be nice if when you fell, the phone would stay connected and not have to resync itself when you got back into range again.

BTW: Does anyone think it's ridiculous that the only reason I'm looking for the bluetooth option is so I can control the music from the board?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-17-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
I've found the range on the Wet sounds to be lacking but Tim said it was because of the steel body on my golf cart. I'm getting maybe 10'

You are for sure going to have your music cutting out when you fall and the boat swings around.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-17-2014, 2:09 PM Reply   
Having fun with the Wet Sounds BT controller, but I haven't tried it while wakesurfing yet!
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-17-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
I'm having a problem with my WS BT unit. I wired it to the 12v of my head unit, and my ws420. But it doesn't turn off? Even when my ACC switch is off and the head unit and EQ are off, the bt module always stays on until I turn my perko to the off position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-17-2014, 2:43 PM Reply   
Which 12v wire of your head unit did you wire it to? The red wire or the yellow wire?
The yellow wire should be your constant 12v. The red wire should be switched.
If your deck goes off with the key off, then your deck is wired correctly and you should have it connected to the red wire off your head unit.
If your deck doesn't turn off when the key is off, then you don't have the red wire hooked up as switched as it should be. If it doesn't, then wire it correctly with the red hooked up to the ignition and not constant 12v and hook the bluetooth unit into the same ignition (or red wire) as well and it should all fall into sync.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-17-2014, 3:01 PM Reply   
Yes, I think it is ridiculous.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-17-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
I'm surprised people are balking at the cost. When you've already thrown thousands of dollars at a wet sounds system, what is another 75 dollars?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-17-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I'm having a problem with my WS BT unit. I wired it to the 12v of my head unit, and my ws420. But it doesn't turn off? Even when my ACC switch is off and the head unit and EQ are off, the bt module always stays on until I turn my perko to the off position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B+ means constant battery positive. Thats what your EQ and BT are wired tom so what the issue? If you only want it on when the stereo is powered up, relocate the BT's red B+ to the head-unit's amp turn-on circuit.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-17-2014, 6:02 PM Reply   
But I haven't thrown thousands at a system. My issue is not so much the cost it is just that there is no real way to compare a $100 blue tooth device to a $40 or less.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_822BTRE...MIL-BTREC.html
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-17-2014, 9:43 PM Reply   
I think a wifi option like an Apple airport express might have the range you want. I really think this is the way to go versus Bluetooth, technology wise. Way way more range and bandwidth, can have as many people connected as you want. Not sure why there aren't any 12v versions, seems very possible to build.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-18-2014, 5:36 AM Reply   
Hey Levi, here ya go: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...bt-airenabler/
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-18-2014, 6:25 AM Reply   
A bit over kill........ Just go and SURF

Work on your form and tricks..

Leave the "management of the playlist" to the boat..
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-18-2014, 11:38 AM Reply   
Hey Shawn, I just checked that out and I think I'm going to order one. Have you actually used it?

And Charlie, your post is of absolutely zero help to anyone. Leave your "Get out and ride" posts for somewhere else. This is a bunch of nerds just chatting about streaming options. What is wrong with that?

I seriously don't get why people have to make comments like that so they feel better about themselves. If all we did was "Go and Surf" there would be no point to these boards, no one would be around to discuss these things. Plus it's winter and a lot of us can't go boating so we fill our time thinking of ways to make it better. This is exactly WHERE people come to discuss these things.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-18-2014, 11:58 AM Reply   
If I were to be honest, I don't know how much I would really use this feature. This is more of a fun thing, and a "can we do it" type question.
When I first got the phone, I thought to myself, what is the craziest way I can use this feature? My first thought was this, along with using the phone as a go pro while surfing. I will probably try my hand at both. It does have a 1080P 20.1mp camera on it, so that would probably work out pretty good as well.
As far as the sound system goes, it is a semi-budget build and the only Wetsounds equipment in it so far is the EQ. It is not my boat, but my bro's. I brought up the idea to him and he shot me the Amazon link I posted as an adapter to get to do it.
I decided to start the thread to see if there were any better options. Being that the Wetsounds is the only one that offers track control, we may go that route. It would be convenient to just sync a phone and throw it in a cubby and forget about it, versus changing tracks from the screen. It also may offer a little bit better resale value.

And thank you for your post LW. That is exactly right. We think of crazy/stupid stuff in the winter and then do it in the summer
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-18-2014, 12:45 PM Reply   
Hey I've got bluetooth on my boat too.. and if someone wants to stream their play list while they hit it.. not a prob.. Let someone onboard hit the play bottom on your device and get after it.. I'm guessing I've never been on a boat full of nerds.. The peeps in the boat are generally athletes that accell in several sports.. Playlist never has been a problem.. But hey, if guy surfin controls the playlist and clicks on "J Beaver.. Baby" while 4 or 5 of us in the boat don't do "J Beaver".. Then it's not cool.. "OFF"

We ride year round down here..

My 2 cents..... It's over kill... Have a great summer...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-18-2014, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Hey Shawn, I just checked that out and I think I'm going to order one. Have you actually used it?

And Charlie, your post is of absolutely zero help to anyone. Leave your "Get out and ride" posts for somewhere else. This is a bunch of nerds just chatting about streaming options. What is wrong with that?

I seriously don't get why people have to make comments like that so they feel better about themselves. If all we did was "Go and Surf" there would be no point to these boards, no one would be around to discuss these things. Plus it's winter and a lot of us can't go boating so we fill our time thinking of ways to make it better. This is exactly WHERE people come to discuss these things.
No, I haven't tried it, but just remembered reading the thread. On my winter list too.

I've got a miccus BT unit that seems to do what I ask of it. I know for a fact that mine would not have range from surf distance to work reliably though. LOL, maybe for you guys with short waves...
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-18-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
The volume control and track forward are more convenience options, but definitely something worth taking into account. Also it looks like they're going for $75 all day long, a little price drop from what I remember when I first looked at them.
I think the cleanliness of the install and the easy convenience might be worth the extra money. Not to mention if the sound quality and range is better.
It would be nice if when you fell, the phone would stay connected and not have to resync itself when you got back into range again.

BTW: Does anyone think it's ridiculous that the only reason I'm looking for the bluetooth option is so I can control the music from the board?
And he asked if anyone thinks its ridiculous that the only reason he's looking for the bluetooth option is so he can control the music from the board...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-18-2014, 3:35 PM Reply   
lol Yup. Sure did. I even think it's ridiculous. I still want to try it though!

And some of guys I ride with, myself included would be considered "nerds" we're still athletic and love to get out and do stuff. But we can be both
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-18-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
ive only got to test out my ws bt a few times, but anyone else feel sound quality suffers vs with an aux cable?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-18-2014, 5:08 PM Reply   
You can't be both a nerd and athletic. You only think you can be both. But just keep believing it. Don't let me burst your bubble.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-18-2014, 5:36 PM Reply   
Im a nerd and an athlete.

Star wars, lord of the rings, harry potter are all a part of my interests. Nerds ftw.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-18-2014, 6:08 PM Reply   
Hay, even Ogre aligned with the Nerds by the 2nd or 3rd movie
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-18-2014, 6:55 PM Reply   
Thats a valid point.

Han solo is played by indiana jones. I mean how cool can you be?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-19-2014, 4:47 AM Reply   
I got this for $8 bucks. I will let you know how it is. Get's power from usb port. (Which I have with my alpine head unit) and then just plug in aux input jack.

http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Bl...adapter+stereo

I am not concerned about range as I just want to use with phone while sitting in the boat. I just want to avoid direct wires since I move around the boat.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-20-2014, 3:07 PM Reply   
Whats the latest on the Surfin DJ?.. Rockin out yet?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-21-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
Not yet, haven't even been out this season yet. Also still haven't talked to my buddy who owns the boat about what option we should do since he's been on s snowboarding trip this last week.
Don't worry, when it happens I'll probably be posting video of it, range provided.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-24-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Thanks for the follow up links. The wetsounds was the first one we looked at, but it is kinda spendy for what it is.
The Cobra one looks pretty compact and straight forward. Also the fact that it has a battery with 15 hours of playtime is kinda cool too so you wouldn't necessarily need to hard wire it. We would still probably hardwire it in with a usb charger on the key.
We have also thought of this one as well
http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-...iliary+adapter
It's around the same price point as the Cobra one, but it doesn't spec the range like the Cobra does. I know most bluetooth devices have an effective range of about 30-35 feet in theory, but Cobra does spec it as "effective" range, not maximum range.
I think that one might be the way to go. Thank you for your replies.
So, the WS one can adjust volume, track forward/back, and play/pause FROM THE KNOB.

The $40 Kinevo can: Play, Pause, Previous song, Next song. So the advantage of the WS would be that it can change the volume from the KNOB. However if the WS BT is mounted within inches of the WS-420SQ than what's the point? Why would I need two volume controls?

As far as controlling items from the remote device (phone), of course anything you press on your phone will happen. So of course you can do about anything on your phone as long as you can do it through the case you get.

Can anyone confirm if the Wetounds WW-BT-VC has the autoconnect feature? Because I don't want to have to press a button to connect it everytime. Especially if Phathom is crazy enough that he wants to use it while surfing. Because if the driver has to hit a button to reconnect it every time Phathom falls and the boat goes out of range, that will get annoying.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
I apparently didn't read into the detailed description of the Kinevo. I guess it can control it the same as the Wetsounds. I am liking this option a lot more now.
- Supports aptX for high quality audio
- Stream music from any Bluetooth (A2DP) capable device
- Music player controls - Play, Pause, Previous song, Next song.
- Supports Bluetooth profiles: HFP, HSP, A2DP and AVRCP
- Connect via Bluetooth with phone to receive phone calls and use voice commands
- Recharge your device while listening to music via USB port

But fall? I don't fall. I land gracefully on the platform and cut my run completely dry. It works 100% of the time, 30% of the time.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-24-2014, 1:29 PM Reply   
the Plug in for that is just to connect it to power and provide over current protection you can cut the wires put a fuse in and voila hardwired just like the WS BT
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-24-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
Yes, the Wet Sounds BT will auto-sync.

Not everyone has a WS-420 or other EQ or a USB head-unit

The Wet Sounds unit is intended for the marine environment

2 ways to mount

No need for USB port for charging/recharging

12V ready so no need for a voltage reducer to step down to meet the needs of many USB devises.

Take it all in and make up your minds.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-24-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
I just ordered the wifi option the malibu guys linked too. I already have Bluetooth and it's "ok" but being able to have everyone on the boat connected to the music and anyone can play any song would just be so convienent. Plus the range and bandwidth is so much better that Bluetooth. I will post the results once I have it installed and tested. It will also be so much easier for anyone new to play their tunes.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-24-2014, 4:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I just ordered the wifi option the malibu guys linked too. I already have Bluetooth and it's "ok" but being able to have everyone on the boat connected to the music and anyone can play any song would just be so convienent. Plus the range and bandwidth is so much better that Bluetooth. I will post the results once I have it installed and tested. It will also be so much easier for anyone new to play their tunes.

If it works good, post a "how to".

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-24-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
Will do. I love the easy of my airport expresses so I hope this works as well.