Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-02-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
took a couple of friends out with us yesterday and everything seemed to go wrong.

some of you have read that ive been having problems with my front ballast jabsco reversable pump. well it finally locked up and i removed it from the boat, leaving all the tubing, thought nothing of it.

well we get out and the water is trashed so we decide to teach the new guys to surf. fill up the left rear (which is also where all the pumps are hidden behind a panel) well i notice while we were surfing the bilge was running. constantly. thought maybe it just rained since last time we were out and the hull was full or something. well finally after 10 minutes or so i realized that it wasnt right. pulled the bench seat and sure enough the bilge was FULL. so i opened the hatch were the left rear sack was and the floor was 4-6" under water! what happend was the open end of the hose coming from the under-hull pickup was BELOW water line since we were sacked so hard so it started syphoning water in as fast as the 1" tubing would allow which was damn fast!
unfortunatly the 750 sack was full so i couldnt access the hose! so i had to wait to drain which seemed like forever! then i could finally remove the panel and sure enough the hose was just pumping in water! so i re routed it so it was pointed way up high right to the top deck so it would be way above water line. i also duct taped the hose shut just for an extra peice of mind. no issues after that.

day goes on, water calms down. so we decide to wake board. since my front sack was out of commission. i used my external sack to put on top of the floor walkway. as im filling it. i see a bayliner type IO coming VERY close to us. and pulling a wake boarder and hes actually cuting right at us. he gets about to my swim deck 10' away and for some reason i stop looking. 2 second later i hear a huge THUD. well the chic driver cut right in front of us doing a circle around us. the rider never realized and this allowed the rope/him to reach us cause he was already in a hard cut right at us and looking at us, not where the chic driver was going. we he smashed right into my bow. fliping upside down i saw the bottom graphics of his board right as he hit.
i came Bubb Rubb glued. he and the chic driver thought it was no big deal. blowing it off. not having any remorse or realize they were even at fault. they bacically hit a parked car! we were just floating. chic driver was cusing at us! and the dude was glazed over blowing it off. they just thought it was no big deal. i assume had been drinking. eyes looked it. he got a busted blooding elbow. and the boat got very lucky. his Hydroslide rubber "bindings" seemed to be the only thing that hit the boat as the he fliped the board must have went JUST over the top of the bow and the binding just ground across it. after 10 minutes of rubbing rubber off the bow no damage or scratches that i could find.
one thing i did chuckle at later, was a comment he made that i missed in the heat of the moment (we were all livid) he goes, its no big deal i just hit it with my elbow, its only a $20,000 boat and Audrey told me my response was, is your elbow black?

whole ordeal still makes my blood boil. but it could have turn out alot worse for both him and my boat. and the chic driver was 1 more cuss word to my gf away from me jumping in the water and choking her.

heck of a day. and the one time we invite freinds.
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       07-02-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Wow. Well I'm glad his elbow took more of a beating then your boat.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-02-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
wow, what a couple of idiots
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-02-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
That's why I hate being on the water on the weekends. I go into full kill mode if anyone gets within 100ft of me.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-02-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
happened to us this weekend as well...only it was another boat almost running over our rider who had just gone down.....the driver wasn't even facing forward but was talking to people behind him......if we hadnt raced back and our rider wasn't a quick swimmer it could have been terrible. There were some very choice words after that incident and the other boat chose to leave the cove. It was a very scary near miss.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-02-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
That's why I hate being on the water on the weekends. I go into full kill mode if anyone gets within 100ft of me.
amen. last two years the number of Wallys has tripled at our lake.
we re-looked it up this morning. sadly the law says only 50' is required
but thats probly for tiny lakes and rivers. we have a huge lake.
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-02-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
Wow, Cory. That was a close call and glad we're not hearing about a much worse outcome. Glad you, your crew & ride came out OK.

Now, let's figure out this ballast issue.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-02-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
That really sucks. I would have been livid as well but I'm glad there was no damage to yalls boat. You better not sink that thing before the jam! And isnt there a ball valve of the thru hull you could have shut off

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-02-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
50' is Texas law on any size lake. Damn Cory I'm surprised you didn't beat his ass. All that water on a 25+ mile long lake and a rider smacks into a boat...boy howdy. I keep binoculars in my boat to get the hull registration number and a couple game wardens numbers. For future reference you can call 911 and ask if there's a game warden on the water and report it...especially an incident of boat vs boat or rider vs boat incident...that will be taken serious. Glad your boat is ok Cory.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-02-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
We had something like this happen to us last summer but it was a jet skier cuting us off while I was towing a rider. He came across my bow so close, after we passed hsi jet wash coverd my boat and everyone in it. My wife was the only one sitting up front and "tensed up" when she thought impact was apparent. She was sore for 2 days just from that and the stress. I waved the guy down and exchanged a few words while my wife was taking pics of him and reg. number. We reported him to Gae Wardon and Sheriff and they were there within 10-15 minutes. We also had a crew of inexperienced boaters that may only come out with us once a year, scared them to.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-02-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
Thats what you call "A near miss" Drunk B@$$t@rds nearly missed your boat

I have zero tollerance for mouthy boat drivers, ESPECIALLY ONES THAT JUST HIT MY BOAT!!!!! GOD i dont know how you didnt drown them both.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-02-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
That is crazy! I'm glad no one was injured. Hopefully you get the ballast situation working properly and you have many good days ahead this summer.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-02-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
These stories are what keeps me getting out at the crack a$$ of dawn. Cory glad everything worked out for the best because it could have been much worse with people like that around.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-02-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
drew: issue fixed, new pump ships out today. i am going to flip the pump 180 degrees, so the water doesnt get into the motor again.

David. yeah the ball valve would have been a good idea. never remember those. had we not surfed it would have never been an issue.

AJ: the law is useless. and they didnt care or learn there lesson obviously. less than 5 minutes later they circled us again, same driver and rider well under 100' away.

Ben: i was too busy rubbing off rubber and checking for actual damage to beat there faces in. it was definatly on my mind, but the boat came first.

Scott: are you sure you dont wish he got injured? at least a little broken arm to remind him for a couple of months.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-02-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Ok, maybe something between a bloody elbow and ruptured spleen.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-02-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Wow, they came back? We need to keep a prop fouler on our boats to disable dumbass boaters ( like in Whale Wars).
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-02-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
Another reason we should be able to have paintball guns with pepper.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-02-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
Must have been the weekend for crazy A holes. We had a hail/wind storm come through on sun. Basically everyone ran for the bridge. Dude comes in through the no wake zone at 25, drops the throttle, and sends rollers into a handful of boats tied up to each other and pylons. Think another WW'er was part of that group. Heard some screaming and yelling but I was 20' away and couldn't see what really happened after he pulled in.

Rain stops and we all head out again. Ride for alil bit and heading back to the ramp. Same guy comes screaming through the bridge and is riding 50' off the back of me in an I/O. Was close enough I thought about bombing a can into the bow. I come off the throttle for him to go around and then I notice he is staring off into space. I slam back on the gas just as he "wakes up" and jerk to the side. he actually ends up jumping my wake. He stops and as I'm starting to ream him out he has a coniption that I almost got him killed. There is no such things as being safely behind a boat to the point that if they slow down you almost drive through them.

Freaking morons
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
I have been waiting for this to happen to me! Man thats crazy!! we have had some close calls but that takes the cake! I'm glad you guys are all alright! (and boat too!)
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-02-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
AIR HORNS! http://www.amazon.com/Unified-Marine.../dp/B0019M5EZ4 Once or twice a year this prevents my rider or boat from death by moron . The horns are directional and really grab attention. http://www.amazon.com/Unified-Marine.../dp/B0019M5EZ4

Other good advice is to report offenders to lake patrol or ride when the idiots are sleeping off their binge drinking.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-02-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
I would have gone into low Earth orbit. I am glad you are ok.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-02-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
^ I agree
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-02-2012, 3:50 PM Reply   
Agree agree^
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-02-2012, 3:56 PM Reply   
Must have been something in the air yesterday. My local ramps were near the stupidest I've ever seen.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-02-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
Dang, Cory! I'm glad you guys are okay and no serious damage to the boat. Please think SAFETY 1st next time and worry about your boat damage later. It's important to report such a serious "near miss" to authorities, as it might just make them learn some basic safety protocol on the water. At their current skill level, they will "graduate" to a much more serious incident....it's only a matter of time.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-02-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
thanks Kat! we miss ya'll and the puppys too! shoot us an invite soon!
you know now that you mention it i got to thinking, we did get lucky. 3 of us were in the boat, but i forgot that we had 1 guy floating in a lifejacket about 4-5 feet off the swim platform. that wakeboarder couldnt have missed our guys head by 10-15 feet. that could have have turned out really terrible....
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-02-2012, 10:15 PM Reply   
Another thing I get a lot of is a wally following about 200' behind the wakeboarder to avoid choppy water. What if the rider falls?

Slingshot and ice cubes leaves no hard evidence......