Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ICTVillain)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-10-2015, 10:45 PM Reply   
All,

First time poster.... I currently have a 2000 DD Prostar 205 that does a lot things well when I use it on our small private lake which has a 21 foot length restriction. Like a lot of folks, we spend more and more time surfing which works well on the Prostar when I have 5 or more adults in the boat, but isn't ideal.

Anyhow, I am strongly considering a new NXT or Used Moomba Mondo (2015 with Raptor engine, Flow Surf (manual) and 2300 lbs of ballast). I will demo the NXT locally, but I would have to drive a few hours to check the Mondo out since the local dealer doesn't stock Mondos. The local dealer also carries Axis which gives the A20 an outside shot of winning my business (he doesn't stock the A20 either).

I was hoping to get feedback from people who have surfed or wake boarded behind both boats.

Thank you!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-11-2015, 4:45 AM Reply   
I would hold off on the A20 till the updated '16 comes out later this season. Both the NXT and the Mondo are great boats. Get one that fits your budget and style.

Last edited by dezul; 07-11-2015 at 4:49 AM.
Old     (ICTVillain)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-11-2015, 6:05 AM Reply   
Thank you for the advice... from a budget perspective the boats are the same... The loaded Mondo has 23 hours and is less expensive by a few thousand than the NXT.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-11-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
Nxt was not a good looking boat in my opinion - personal preference only. Mondo is a good thing. Malibu for resale?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-12-2015, 7:16 AM Reply   
Personally, if I was you and looking to buy today. The Mondo would be my first choice. If you don't mind waiting another month, the Axis A20 will be out and it will compete with the Mondo. The Mondo's fit and finish will be a little better but the A20 offers more with the wake and the ease of surfing. Surfgate is awesome and the new A20 will have the updated hull and dash. I personally don't think you will make a bad decision either way. Both are awesome boats. The NXT will be good when the 22' comes out.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-13-2015, 3:49 AM Reply   
2016 A20 hands down. If you order now you'll likely be ordering a 2016 boat.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-13-2015, 4:45 AM Reply   
I would throw the 21 MB B52 in there too if you have a dealer and the new Moomba Craz will be right in your range too.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-13-2015, 5:45 AM Reply   
Is Moomba really naming a boat the "Craz"?
Old     (ICTVillain)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-13-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
I took a short ride in the NXT (All white with small blue trim and an old school swim platform - In my opinion this boat has a very attractive/classy look that will stand the test of time).

Overall I was very impressed. This boat feels and looks better on water.

As advertised, the NXT trim system makes it quick and easy to change the shape of the wake when the ballast was evenly distributed (left, right, wake board). The waves produced were clean and had good shape, but I am disappointed with the size of the surf wave when utilizing the standard factory ballast only. With more ballast in the lockers I believe it would be good enough; unfortunately, the dealer did not have plug and play bags available.

Final verdict: The boat was better than expected, but I can't buy the NXT without taking a look at the wave with additional ballast.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-13-2015, 11:30 AM Reply   
Have you demo'd an A20? The wave is very big and clean for a 20 foot boat with plug n play.

This is a 2013 with a home made surfgate attachment, all hard tanks, bow plug n play and rear plug n play all full (sumo 900s)

Last edited by boardjnky4; 07-13-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old     (ICTVillain)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-13-2015, 1:21 PM Reply   
Just to throw a curve ball... my dealer just traded for 2007 Mastercraft X2 with upgraded ballast and 208 hours. I just did a drive by since and it looked nice (darn paradox of choice)..

Back on topic - that second picture of the A20 wake looks great. Are all bags used for that picture in lockers or under seats?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-13-2015, 1:28 PM Reply   
All bags are hidden and on switches. Boat was purchased with plug n play option. Then I hooked the bags I wanted to the provided hoses. A 2014+ A20 with surfgate will produce the same wave.

I think the second picture the wave is longer due to higher speed. I think I was running low-mid 11's. The first pic is probably low-mid 10s.
Old     (ICTVillain)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-14-2015, 7:29 PM Reply   
Quick update: I went on a second NXT test drive. This time 500 lbs of ballast was added to each locker. The new wake was significantly improved and would allow a great surf experience without additional ballast. We didn't have the bags completely full and we kept weight even on all sides and the wake looked great on both sides of the boat.
Old     (alMN)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-20-2015, 10:08 AM Reply   
We were in your same situation a month and a half ago. Test drove the Mondo and we were unimpressed. The auto flow stunk & the dealer didn't help it out at all with not having it dully dialed in for our test drive. Did a second and was still not impressed. Didn't do the manual flow which seems like it would be easier. I will say the size felt more like a 22'. One thing we did notice is that the Mondo with the Raptor engine felt like it could give a little more. Different gear ratio maybe and the thing would have a ton more power. The Mondo threw a really nice wakeboard wake, surf wave was pretty bad. We also test drove a "15 Tige RZR. This thing was a rocket, hence the Mondo feeling underpowered. The RZR put out a decent wakeboard wake (was touchy) and a darn good surf wave (it didn't have the AVX or VX system) so AVX would be a must for that boat. Then we were at boat test day and drove the NXT. Was really impressed with the boat. Drove more like a Malibu VTX, ie turned on a dime and felt way more powerful than the Mondo. Ilmor did a good job with the engine on the NXT. Surf wave was impressive for the NXT, but the wakeboard wake was so so. Pretty sure it had the 500s in the rear. Styling of the NXT didn't really appeal to us, but it was nice. We ended up ordering a '16 A20. Press your local dealer about what might be happening there because it was a game changer for us. Made it a really easy choice. But then again I have always like the styling of Axis and the no frills function of these boats. (it's our first V drive also). Best part of Axis, wakeboards amazing and surfs great. It is a true fill the plug and play and pick your side. All the other brands try to achieve this, but from our experience it has not worked that way. This is the first boat where the simplicity has been as easy as advertised. We take delivery soon and can comment further.