Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-26-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
No boat riders in the top 3? I actually liked Chris to win it, but thought A boat rider should have gotten a medal for sure... Agree or disagree?

Loved the show, well put together, did a great job of showing the sport to the masses.

It will be Interesting to see who gets the fan vote!

Edit* sorry for the botched thread title, iPhone autocorrect

Last edited by zoodsmak; 07-26-2015 at 2:07 PM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-26-2015, 2:15 PM Reply   
Raph and Rathy both had some boat clips in their segments.

The results definitely show the changing of the sport though.
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-26-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
My bad, I guess I didn't think of Raph and Rathy's videos since they seemed to focus more on winch/cable. Mad respect to all the riders, each video was amazing and these guys all deserved to be a part of the contest. I'm sure the effort involved to produce 90 seconds of video is highly under valued by the public as well.

It will be interesting to see where RealWake goes from here.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-26-2015, 4:19 PM Reply   
I liked the Daniel Grant vid the best. If you followed the past xgames snow/skate vid contests, it's all about variety of terrain and the edit. Mixing up some wakeskating was killer to show his diversity.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-26-2015, 4:25 PM Reply   
Seriously - if Dowdy didn't win, much less make the top 3.. it was about the video, NOT about the riding in it. The guy is landing w2w doubles and a 12.. that's next level riding.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-26-2015, 5:05 PM Reply   
I have not been involved in wakeboarding long so my opinion may be similar to other people outside of the sport. I only ride boat but when I watch pro's riding behind a boat all I really see is people spinning or flipping. I don't know any of the trick names and all the tricks look similar. I do like watching guys go big though. I really can't stand watching people riding at cable parks, presses and grinds just don't get me stoked unless they are going big.
Then you have the guys winching through crazy terrain doing massive transfers, that stuff is sick. They are going big and the chance of getting hurt is right up there. These vids get my vote.
This is just my opinion on what I like watching the most. All these guys have more skill in their little toe than I do and I respect their skills but when it comes to watching these guys rip it up the winching guys impress me the most
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-26-2015, 5:44 PM Reply   
Amazing riding and cool to see some national coverage.

All my wife could say was how dull and boring all the guys looked in the interviews.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-26-2015, 7:07 PM Reply   
did anyone notice rusty and shota's weren't even in the running let alone voting...LOL!!!!! Could have had some other well rounded riders in there.

I think the reason dowdy didn't win because a lot of the other riders did multiple/more accessible aspects of wakeboarding and the other riders want to see that (probably to show the masses you don't need a boat). 2 of the riders don't even ride boat so their votes aren't going to be toward him, counting their filmers that's 4 votes out of 12. If rusty and shota were included it could have been a different outcome, but its probably for the better that they weren't included.

Looking forward to seeing the fan vote. i know a lot of people on here were loving dowdy's section (including me).

In all, i'm satisfied with the outcome.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-27-2015, 5:18 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if there will be a re-run? I can't believe I forgot to DVR it!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-27-2015, 5:23 AM Reply   
The problem is there was nothing creative about mike dowdy' run.

Boat is dying/dead.

Cable is where things are headed these days
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-27-2015, 6:09 AM Reply   
IMO boat riding looks like a bunch incomprehensible spin/flips. I would think wakeskating in a "slope style" event would really get more attention and respect the wakeboarding. I mean the level of difficulty and trick options is so much more then wakeboarding. I mean bindings you can just huck it which skaters and surfers don't respect,which is a huge part of the demographic they are trying to reel in.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-27-2015, 6:57 AM Reply   
Wake skating is way too much of a niche for others to understand the difficulty level of the sport.
In terms of snowboarding:
Boat riding = half pipe

Cable = slope style

Realwake=real snow, which is all unique street stuff
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2015, 7:04 AM Reply   
Dowdy's video captured the highest level of wakeboarding in the sports purest, original form. I'm disappointed.

I can understand how the untrained eye can probably not comprehend what they were seeing, and how the obstacle urban winching looked really cool though.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       07-27-2015, 9:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Dowdy's video captured the highest level of wakeboarding in the sports purest, original form. I'm disappointed.

I can understand how the untrained eye can probably not comprehend what they were seeing, and how the obstacle urban winching looked really cool though.
Took the words out of my mouth! I understand the "masses" will relate to the urban winching scenes easier, but boat is where I started 18 years ago and will always be biased toward it... ESPECIALLY when I see a video part like Dowdy's! Congrats to the the riders that won... Just not the outcome I expected at all.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-27-2015, 9:25 AM Reply   
Young guys ride cable/park. They are better connected to social media. It wasn't a wake/park contest. It was a popularity contest. That said, Chris killed it. Congratulations. I am just stoked at how hard all of the athletes pushed it for the parts. There was progressions in all disciplines.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Jrod and JC - I am with you guys - That part got me jacked. Although I would have loved to see the last clips of Randall in Al Sur over most of these, but that is just me. I am amazed at the levels of all the riders here, but I just don't get pumped to ride watching cable or winch - Maybe I am just too old!
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-27-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
W2W 12 > artsy crap and fancy editing.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-27-2015, 11:58 AM Reply   
Fan results. Just goes to show boat isn't dead.
Attached Images

Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-27-2015, 2:26 PM Reply   
I watched all these vids multiple times - very cool. Overall my picks weren't too far off from the fan results. I had Rathy MUCH higher in the list tho. And I expected Daniel Grant to get one of the medals.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-27-2015, 6:43 PM Reply   
I hate choosing as all those riders are amazing, worked very hard to perfect their skills, and the videos took a lot of work to produce.

That said, boat stuff is usually what I like to see, probably because that's what I can relate to, and appreciate the most.

The night stuff and colored smoke boots felt gimmicky. The Dowdy video was my favorite as it was just wakeboarding at its best for me.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-28-2015, 1:12 AM Reply   
I think it was a great result and one the industry should really sit up and take note of.

Dowdy's part was amazing (they all were, but his stood out) but only to hardcore fans.

The re-actions above is exactly why wakeboarding got dropped from the X-games. The riding is next level, incredibly technical but to the uninitiated it can look very samey.

Major sponsors are dropping long serving and loyal riders at an alarming rate.
It is harder than ever for young athlete's to make it in this industry.

I think cable and winching are the saviors of the sport, they make the sport more accessible to the masses and entertaining for the casual viewer.

I think riders like Rathy and Webb need to be commended for pushing the sport not only behind boat but using all other mediums.

Does anyone have industry figures on board sales boat vs cable?
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-28-2015, 4:04 AM Reply   
^ pretty sure it got dropped originally because the venue was to hard to put together. Yeah a lot of the tricks looks similar to the untrained eye but so do snowboard tricks and they push snow big time

I think the idea behind the "real" series is more street stuff rather than contest style tricks. Probably why dowdy/Harley/grant didn't do well
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-28-2015, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think cable and winching are the saviors of the sport, they make the sport more accessible to the masses and entertaining for the casual viewer.
I keep hearing this - and yet I've met very few people who find it remotely interesting to watch.

Quote:
pretty sure it got dropped originally because the venue was to hard to put together
This is why it got dropped.. it was too limiting for locations. Same with 'street luge' and a few others'
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-28-2015, 6:42 AM Reply   
Nobody really likes watching ANY extreme sports. Snowboarding (arguably the most common extreme sport) has become the same thing. A few enthusiasts will watch the X-Games here and there, but when it comes down to it, it's just a bunch of flippy spinny things that seem impossible to the layman.

Our sports will never be huge. Cable will not completely overtake Boat. Cable and Feature riding is here to stay, but I don't foresee a massive decline in boat riding either. It is what it is. Both disciplines are fun hobbies, but they're way more interesting to DO than to WATCH.

It will have its ebbs and flows, but I don't think any aspect of our sport will see drastic change.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-28-2015, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Nobody really likes watching ANY extreme sports. Snowboarding (arguably the most common extreme sport) has become the same thing. A few enthusiasts will watch the X-Games here and there, but when it comes down to it, it's just a bunch of flippy spinny things that seem impossible to the layman.

Our sports will never be huge. Cable will not completely overtake Boat. Cable and Feature riding is here to stay, but I don't foresee a massive decline in boat riding either. It is what it is. Both disciplines are fun hobbies, but they're way more interesting to DO than to WATCH.

It will have its ebbs and flows, but I don't think any aspect of our sport will see drastic change.
Some good points. I agree with the ebb and flow and also doubt that cable will ever overtake boat.

I think video parts and having a good mix of progression and style will keep wakeboarding alive. Contests tend to be all about doing the same bag of tricks, with almost no regard for style or creativity. It's like the double flip has become what the triple cork is for snowboarding. I guess it has to be that way so I don't know if I would change that. As a result, they push current riders to get better, but they shouldn't be expected to bring new people to the sport. To someone who has never done board sports, a 900 and a 12 look the same. But a video part with one of Murray's huge raleys or Vandal going big will make anyone with a pulse want to try it. They make it look fun.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-28-2015, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Seriously - if Dowdy didn't win, much less make the top 3.. it was about the video, NOT about the riding in it. The guy is landing w2w doubles and a 12.. that's next level riding.
Agreed...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-28-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
The sport will continue to change as more cable parks pop up. It's much more attainable for people and kids to scrape together 1,000 bucks for a year cable pass than shell out 25-150k for a wakeboard boat, plus gas and insurance, and still progress.

We are just seeing that highlighted here.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-28-2015, 11:23 AM Reply   
^my first boat cost $900 and I learned inverts and spins behind it, 9 out of 10 people can't "out ride" the boats they have, they just want the best so they get the newest biggest baddest thing on the market because they can. I agree cable and winch is great for the sport because of the accessibly it creates but it's a misconception that you need something expensive to ride behind.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-28-2015, 11:32 AM Reply   
$900?? What kinda boat was that?

I do agree with you in concept as my tecnhical ability will likely never outgrow my 20K boat, but I would like a bit more room.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-28-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
Even with. 6,000 dollar ski boat with flight pipe, you're gonna hit a wall at some-point.

A lot of the new boats are excessive in terms of wake, in my opinion, but you're gonna hit a wall at some point. It may not even be technical ability but your riding style as a whole. It is a lot harder to go out and ride like Josh Twelker or Randall Harris, or trevor maur, big and stylie with more simpler tricks, than it would be to go out and do nothing but learn every spin and flip up to r2r and 360.

Most cable facilities will offer that flexibility.

And even with a 900 dollar boat you need to store, tow, gas, and have somewhere to launch it.
Old     (Paul_42186)      Join Date: May 2013       07-28-2015, 1:20 PM Reply   
All of the riders were really good, but Dowdy and Grant were my favorites.
Old     (AxisofEvil)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-28-2015, 3:53 PM Reply   
I can't believe Shota got more fan votes than Rathy... I guess people like balloons and horse masks more that wrapped grabbed 10s and huge land gaps.
Old     (bruh)      Join Date: Jan 2015       07-28-2015, 5:11 PM Reply   
^
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-28-2015, 5:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisofEvil View Post
I can't believe Shota got more fan votes than Rathy... I guess people like balloons and horse masks more that wrapped grabbed 10s and huge land gaps.
Retweet
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-29-2015, 12:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
I keep hearing this - and yet I've met very few people who find it remotely interesting to watch.
Are you telling me you found Chris Abadie and Daniel Grant's parts not remotely interesting?

And I'm not just talking about watching, I'm talking about accessibility, board sales, exposure for the sport. This is truer in the international markets than in the US domestic market.

Quote:
This is why it got dropped.. it was too limiting for locations. Same with 'street luge' and a few others'
Yeah, and it was my ex's fault we broke up.....nothing to do with me.
Pop on to any other extreme sports forum and ask why wakeboarding got dropped and you'll get your true answer.

I'm not saying it was not logistically difficult but so is a super pipe. Where there is a will there is a way.
Set up's like Wake the Line or Harbour Reach are far more audience friendly and I think if wakeboarding is to get back into the X-games then this format is wakeboarding's best hope.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-30-2015, 2:37 PM Reply   
Super pipes can be built just about anywhere..... unless you are talking about snow, in which case the location blows snow year round and will even import the stuff to make sure that it can be built. If there's land and decent average snowfall it can be made.
Old     (asroczenski)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-03-2015, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
The problem is there was nothing creative about mike dowdy' run.

Boat is dying/dead.

Cable is where things are headed these days
The first WTW 12 wasn't creative enough?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-03-2015, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by asroczenski View Post
The first WTW 12 wasn't creative enough?

Skill and creativity are two very different things.

It doesn't take much thinking outside the box to push a 1080 another 180 degrees. Just a well loaded g23 and a highly skilled rider.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-03-2015, 3:45 PM Reply   
I cannot imagine boat riding ever being completely overtaken. Maybe after a generation of riders have been indoctrinated. There are 4 cable parks here in Dallas Fort Worth and even on supposedly "busy" days there doesn't seem to be a ton going on.
I bought a 20 ride pass 2 years ago and have only used 7 or 8 rides because I just don't get the same stoke from it.
Cable or winch takes to damn long to get back to a place where you can even try to repeat the trick to learn something quick. With boat you can get up and try the trick in less than 3 to 5 minutes. Cable may take 20 minutes between each try after the walk and wait.

With regards to tricks looking the same...... I reluctantly agree. Sometimes it take me awhile to think about what was just done unless I am completely focused on what is happening. I have tried to get even my longtime boat riders that are good for several inverts that don't know many of the names of different mobes or spins. That is why style is important. To make it stand out.
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-03-2015, 6:33 PM Reply   
I don't really disagree with the results too much. Overall, I thought Chris, Raph, Rathy, and Grant were the most impressive. Kinda disappointed in what Rusty and Shota put together. Shota was a little too much flash and not enough riding. And what was Harley thinking with those colored gas things? So distracting from his riding and unnecessary that it's kinda crazy. I hope the masses don't think that that's the future of wakeboarding. Dowdy's wake riding is damn good and he did something no ones done before to my knowledge, but I think Chris ended up winning for a couple reasons. Not only was his riding/tricks creative and stylish, but some of those setups were insane and risky as hell. A wrong move and his body could be taking a huge beating/knocked out for most of the season. Now, I understand most riders face those odds every day, but Chris was really taking it to a new level. Insane riding altogether by him, with no wasted amount of flash at all. Just pure riding for our enjoyment.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
For all the people who are loving all this urban winching thing.. there was at least one section there that looked sketchy as hell.

At the :11 mark of Abadie's video - he lands (helmet-free) about 4' from a concrete wall.. someone is going to kill themselves pushing that envelope.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-04-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
Okay hold on a second, you're gonna complain about that being unsafe but not dowdy, rathy, shota et al wearing comp vests or NO vests that have little to no business floating you if you're knocked out?
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-05-2015, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Okay hold on a second, you're gonna complain about that being unsafe but not dowdy, rathy, shota et al wearing comp vests or NO vests that have little to no business floating you if you're knocked out?
I haven't seen a video clip with no vest in a while.. comp vests are sketchy, but if you're skinny enough they'll KIND of float you. Smacking your head on concrete after a 15' fall won't matter much without a lid - they'll need a spatula to pick up what's left of your melon.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-05-2015, 7:27 AM Reply   
OMG wakeboarding is dangerous
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-05-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
I haven't seen a video clip with no vest in a while.. comp vests are sketchy, but if you're skinny enough they'll KIND of float you. Smacking your head on concrete after a 15' fall won't matter much without a lid - they'll need a spatula to pick up what's left of your melon.

Unfortunately, neither will a back edge catch in most comp vests-the divers will pull you up, though. I have only had 1 comp vest on that actually floats me. The rest ride up, come off, and sink if you exhale. Riders have died in them.

I just think it's really funny you take Chris Abadie's lack of PPE as an issue but not any other pro's lack of PPE? (PS, rathy hardly ever wears a vest)

Neither is setting a "good" example if that's what you're getting at...
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-05-2015, 11:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Unfortunately, neither will a back edge catch in most comp vests-the divers will pull you up, though. I have only had 1 comp vest on that actually floats me. The rest ride up, come off, and sink if you exhale. Riders have died in them.

I just think it's really funny you take Chris Abadie's lack of PPE as an issue but not any other pro's lack of PPE? (PS, rathy hardly ever wears a vest)

Neither is setting a "good" example if that's what you're getting at...
It was more his lack of a lid.. winching around concrete w/o a helmet just seems like a bad idea.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2015, 5:25 PM Reply   
Watch the Real Snow video's, and you'll see a) sketchy spots are the expected b) why boat didn't get far.

Daniel Grant should have won imo, tech, sketch spots but not landings, and wakeskate to boot!