Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tspringer)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-22-2016, 9:06 AM Reply   
New to the forum... first post... really hoping for some help figuring out what boats to look for.

I am hooked on wake surfing - my kids too - I need a boat but am on a tight budget. A very good friend has a 2014 Moomba that we wakesurf behind and love it but now I need my own boat so we can go whenever we want.

$25K is where I need to be. I am 100% ok with an older boat and with the likely need for adding ballast and potentially other gear to an older boat to optimize it for wake surfing. I have rebuilt boats from the ground up and have the proverbial awesome set of tools and equipment. Tackling mechanical stuff is not an issue but that said I want to surf, not rebuild an entire boat.

I believe a V-Drive would be best. I am guessing the early 2000's or very late 1990s is going to be mandated due to my price limit.

So... specifically what makes and models would fit this need? Where should I look? What should I avoid? Any details or explanations is greatly appreciated. It can get very confusing, often because the abbreviations used go over my head because I am not up to speed at all on the different makes and models.

THANK YOU!!!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-22-2016, 9:26 AM Reply   
We bought a 2004 Wakesetter LSV .... after ballast upgrade and ghetto gate for surfing we're still under $25k and it surfs pretty great.

As far as boats I would put on my short list if I was looking, like you said, Vdrive is a must -

Wakesetter VLX / LSV / sunsetter / sunscape
X-30 / Maristar 230
Tige 22v / 2300v / 24v
Centurion had a slew of boats in the early 2000s .... not sure all the names vs. sizes
Moomba Mobius XLV (not sure if these are sub 25k)

as far as avoiding, as long as you're Vdrive it will be okay. I believe the 04+ X-stars weren't the best surfing boats, and anything <=21' is probably going to produce a shorter steeper wave
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-22-2016, 10:27 AM Reply   
Vlx, v210/230, 22v, Super sport or 210. X30
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-22-2016, 11:10 AM Reply   
Ceturion avalanche is what I would be looking for. The year does not matter just find one in your price range. The surf wake will blow you away. It is still to this day one of the best surf wakes out there.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-22-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
I forget about those centurions
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2016, 11:43 AM Reply   
Tige 22v or 24v will out surf an avalanche and any boat if the price range. It was a deep tall boat before it's time. The 21 and 23v will surf well and be similar to the centurion avalanche. The avalanche is a low boat, but a nicely designed hull for surfing. I have owned both and a 24v is much better for surfing with lots of weight. Pm if you want details on each. The other option in that price range is a sanger v215.
Old     (jtryon)      Join Date: Jan 2015       04-22-2016, 11:43 AM Reply   
Centurion Avalanche or Tige 22v. try to get the C4 Avy without the walkthrough in the rear so you can have a good wake on the goofy side as well. both of those boats can be had for 25K in good shape
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2016, 8:27 PM Reply   
The Centurion Cyclone v-drive and Avalanche are great cost effective surf boats
Old     (Tspringer)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-23-2016, 7:37 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help! Am now seeking either a Tige 24v or Centurion Avalanche C4. If anyone knows of one for sale let me know?
Old     (Hammertime)      Join Date: Sep 2017 Location: Cincinnati       09-19-2017, 7:51 AM Reply   
I am looking at a family boat for mainly and surfing. As my kids get older, we will do a little wakeboarding.

Legal seating for 10 or more is a must!

Based upon my reasearch, I understand that the older Tige are great for surfing. I would like the extra room for kids and extra people and would love to have a 23' but this is not a deal breaker. 21' would be OK as well.

Here are my choices that seem to be on par based upon my research. The more I read... the more I am confused!

2000-2004 Tige 24v or 21v

2000-2004 Malibu 23lsv Wakesetter or 21

2000-2007 Moomba B52 (worried about build quality, not sure if this is true)

2000-2004 Mastercraft X-star Not sure if this is a good boat for surfing

Sanger and Centurions are not found around me.

I know I need to add ballast to each of these and it will take a little bit to dial it in.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2017, 9:09 AM Reply   
From your list above and the fact you want 10+ seating capacity I would cut out all 21' boats and only look at 04+ X-stars
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-19-2017, 9:27 AM Reply   
I have an 04 vlx, best wake board wake and actually not bad surf wave, I have enjoyed it. Plus its rated for 11 people. . Weight it properly and I think its a great surf wave for the buck. Whether ballast or people. Very easy on gas too, easy to keep in doors, easy to trailer. Easy to drive. Fun to tube too but I don't tube much anymore.
Old     (Hammertime)      Join Date: Sep 2017 Location: Cincinnati       09-20-2017, 4:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
From your list above and the fact you want 10+ seating capacity I would cut out all 21' boats and only look at 04+ X-stars
The 10 people include 8 kids, which most of the time are on the tube. Plus we would only have 10 people 1-2 times a year. I personally think a 21' would be fine.

I am also wanting to stay in the $25k price range.

My wife says 'the BIGger the better' I just hope she was talking about boats.