Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-28-2017, 7:32 AM Reply   
Head unit (w/ cd player... remember those?!) is crapping out. Thought my amps got hot and went into protection at first, but shut everything off for a few a while and it did same thing.

Volume is playing about half the level it normally does. Can I measure voltage at the RCA preamp outs to determine if the head unit isn't putting out the normal volume? was running my phone to aux plug on unit. volume was up all the way on phone, all the way up on unit. 50% volume. seemed to taper off the last hour we were out.

tested it a day later, same thing.

1. issue: diagnosing the current HU volume output. How do I measure output vs what it should be?
2. what should I replace it with. BT would be ok, but think an aux line would save some battery. but don't know that for sure.

would really like auto volume control when I cut the throttle, resume when we get up to speed.
doesn't need to play a CD, just get signal to amps. multiple zones would cool. tower/cabin/sub volume levels. found boost box, but feel like I should get more for $200.

WS 420 looks like it would work, but no auto control

What are you guys running between source and amps?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-28-2017, 11:43 AM Reply   
anyone running Exile media center?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2017, 12:25 PM Reply   
I know this isn't what your asking but I just found a used Kenwood on ebay to replace mine when it went out. I want to still be able to use my rear remote. (don't ask why because I haven't use it since.)

I have it hooked up to a WS-420BT and it doesn't seem to wear the phone batter down any more than an AUX cord would.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-28-2017, 1:24 PM Reply   
thx. good to know.

I'm debating on do I actually need a head unit? Do EQ's have remotes or just head units? I'm basically starting from scratch so want to do it right the first time.

most recent thread I found in search was from 2015 IIRC but was a good starting point.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2017, 2:01 PM Reply   
With Bluetooth no need for a remote really. I can turn down the whole system with the phone just like a remote. I don't know of any remotes that have zone control.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-28-2017, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
With Bluetooth no need for a remote really. I can turn down the whole system with the phone just like a remote. I don't know of any remotes that have zone control.
Fusion offers zone control on its display remotes.

The exile media center can also be found under other names such the JL, Cerwin Vega and Metra Install bay. Pretty much all the same unit with Cerwin Vega being the first to show it.

Last edited by chpthril; 09-28-2017 at 2:20 PM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-29-2017, 9:27 AM Reply   
my phone's waterproof, but don't want it hanging around on the back of the boat while we float and chill.

thril, these?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_917NRX...c&awug=9027086
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-29-2017, 10:50 AM Reply   
Yes, that fusion remote parrots the fusion head unit. If the head unit offers zone control, you have it on the remote(s)