Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
I thought it was about time we had an ongoing UFC thread.. rather than the threads that pop up for each event.

Something interestng to get us started...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC...-Numbers-36053

It's pretty awesome to see each champion's numbers like that - some were surprising.. some not. Great breakdown.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-30-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
As much as I hate Nick Diaz as a person, I sure do love to watch him fight. I thought BJ would be a much tougher fight for him. I cant wait for the GSP fight.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-31-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
I didn't see the fight.. but I did see BJ's face afterwards. Yowza!

GSP is a much more athletic fighter and a better wrestler than BJ.. he will just wrestle Nick Diaz to the ground and keep him there. There's always a chance of Diaz getting in a shot.. but I doubt GSP will allow himself to be put in that position. He's an extremely smart fighter.

Too bad for Condit.. his title shot taken away just like that. Bummer.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-31-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
BJ ended up in the hospital. I figured he would get beat down if he stood in the middle and boxed but thought BJ would be smarter and work the clinch up against the cage where Diaz is an idiot and drops his guard. Guess the Stockton native is on the rise.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-31-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
That... or BJ is on the decline.

I'm still confused as to why BJ would stand and trade with him. Why on earth would you play to a guy's strengths that way? Guarantee that GSP will NOT do the same.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-31-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
209er for life. I will never understand why the Diaz brothers have an insatiable desire to act like total losers. He fights this amazing fight and then acts like 209 thug. Makes me sick. He doesn't stand a change against GSP - he has won 10 fights because he hasnt faced any decent contenders (IMO). Penn hasn't looked good for years and he lacks the hunger that powers most of these fighters. I think GSP would make a mess out of Diaz, especially because he has no punching power which is GSP's kryptonite.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-31-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
What, GSP has a glass jaw, thats why he wrestles everyone and hold them on the ground. He has finished 2 fights since 2008 how does everyone give this guy so much credit, he is a joke he doesn't fight to win, he fights not to lose. I am a big Diaz fan, but i wouldn't give him as much credit as people do either, he has beaten only some B and C level guys but he at least comes to finish fights. In fact I think Condit deserved a shot more then Diaz .
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-31-2011, 4:10 PM Reply   
Diaz made $600K this year, not including sponsorship, and he's complaining about money and respect in the sport? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...-money-in-2011
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-01-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
It's funny to me to hear that GSP has a glass jaw. I do agree, however, that GSP does fight not to lose. He certainly is not out there taking crazy chances.. he does what he needs to do, to win.

Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz should be a great fight too.. I can't wait for that one.

The 209 can keep the Diaz brothers.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-01-2011, 7:39 PM Reply   
Would you all agree that the UFC is a 10 year fad?
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-01-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfan23 View Post
Would you all agree that the UFC is a 10 year fad?
I would not agree. I believe the UFC is in the process of filling the void that criminal promoters and boring champions created in professional boxing. I believe the sport is increasingly relevant and will continue to grow.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2011, 11:05 PM Reply   
Fad? No.
I've been watching UFC since the middle of '94 and while it's gone through some changes, it continues to grow in popularity. I really wish it would return back to the solid fan base it had even in the late 90's... I get tired of seeing "Tapout" and fight related logos on every Tom, Dick and Harry... and the influx of BJJ wannabes.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-02-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
I am recent to the sport (2004) but I used to be a devout boxing follower. The joy of the UFC is that it is essentially one guy decides who fights who and when and for how much money - and he picks the fights the fans want (99% of the time). None of this Mayweather/Manny BS that ruined boxing. It is a PPV a month (which is a lot of money) but I almost always feel I get my $50 worth of value and I am always looking forward to the next one.

I guess we will see how well it does with the masses later this month when Fox holds their first non-PPV heavyweight title shot. Great card and it is for FREE.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-02-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
I guess we will see how well it does with the masses later this month when Fox holds their first non-PPV heavyweight title shot. Great card and it is for FREE.
I hear they are only televising the title fight, so I wonder if they will stream or delay broadcast the other fights on the card.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-02-2011, 5:01 PM Reply   
all the other fights will be shown on fox.com or facebook. i guess dana said the main event will be the only fight televised regardless of length. kinda strange if it is a short fight.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-02-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Well that is stupid.....first round knock-out of Cain is highly probable with Dos Santos I hope. I am curious why they are only showing one fight. That is disappointing.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-02-2011, 11:10 PM Reply   
It is crazy because I want to see the guida vs Henderson fight more then the dos Santos vs Cain fight. I am gonna have to make sure I can watch it on the Internet. I love guida and I think Henderson is legit!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-03-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Why in the world would they do that?? How lame!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
Yeah it looks to be true http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC-on-Fox#/fight

The Fox coverage is only an hour between 9-10 EST...bummer.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-03-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
Wow, that's really disappointing.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-03-2011, 2:39 PM Reply   
Hmmm this should be interesting. Not sure what kind of contract they have with fox but they need to be careful they don't start to lose viewers. If the Cain Dos Santos fight is over quickly it will leave fans wanting more. I know I would feel robbed. I want to watch all the fights on my big screen with my friends, not on my computer. Netflix tried to raise their rates by only 2 bucks a month and they had a mass exodus, I hope the UFC gets this right because I am a big fan.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-03-2011, 5:00 PM Reply   
i guess the contract with fox doesnt even officially start until 2012 and this is just a teaser or something like that and that is why they are doing it that way. Next year there will be normal fight cards on fox
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2011, 5:33 PM Reply   
I'm sure they will have a highlight reel of the precious fights ready to go if in fact the main event is short lived. I listened to an interview with Dana and it sounded like the way Fox does productions is way above what the UFC is use to. He referenced the fact that they will be doing rehersals much earlier than usual and actually sounded a but nervous about it all.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-04-2011, 7:51 AM Reply   
YHea now the Fox deal is ONLY the Cain/JDS fight and no under card or anything. I am sure they will use the time to build the story of the UFC and the two fighters. They have said they need much more time to explain things to non-ufc fans during the events. They are modeling a lot from pro wrestling. They are going to try to develop more of the characters and less of the difference between an arm bar and a guillotine. I think any press that is on free TV will be helpful. They are trying to catch people that are watching NFL and cross over. Pretty good marketing idea. The issue is the fight. If it were a one round knockout, which is typical for Cain, this could be a big problem. It would not surprise me if these guys are not "bounsed" to make this a 3 round heavy spar session. I am not saying it is fixed but there is so much riding on this, that it almost has to go perfect or there would be some negative consequences.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-04-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
The draw of the UFC is that fighters get large bonuses for Fight of the Night, Knockout of the Night and Submission of the Night which is supposed to encourage all out war in the cage unlike what you see in boxing. I would be shocked if Dana deviated from that model as all the fans want to see the fighters unleash everything they've got.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-04-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
I mean an off the table kind of bonus. Not a bride, but an incentive to make this a 3 round war. Imagine if Cain knocked out JDS in 20 seconds. There would be nothing left to do for the hour. Or worse case JDS knocks out the champ in 20 seconds. Would be crazy/
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-04-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
I imagine they can easily start airing some of the better undercard fights if there is a first round KO. This has to be something they've thought of. Right?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-05-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
Wondering why everyone is saying if Cain knocks out Dos Santos in the first round because both these guys are undefeated in the UFC and nobody has come close to beatnig either one of them. Santos easily beat up in my oppinion the #2 guy in Shane Carwin so it wouldnt surprise me at all if he took it to Cain the same way. Yeah I give the ground game to Cain but Carwin is a good wrestler to and he couldnt take Santos down in fact Santos took him down. I really like both these guys so I just want to see a good fight, all I am saying is everyone thinks Cain is going to win easily I don't see that, in fact I give the stand up to Santos..

Ok so I did not see the Penn Diaz fight so I am interested in knowing if Penn looked bad or was it a little closer then what I am hearing? If Diaz man handled Penn then he might just be the guy to beat GSP. Diaz has the long arm jab that just keeps nawing at opponents the whole fight, he wont knock you out but he will definetely do some damage. I know GSP would probably plan on taking him down but Diaz has long limbs and is gainful at submissions so IMO I think he poses the biggest threat to GSP at this point. What do you think?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-07-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
I watched the fight and Penn looked ok. His game plan was terrible, but his heart was solid. His cardio did not run out for once. An aging, Un-motivated BJ penn can never been compared to GSP and now and especially motivated GSP. Jerry Rice, Tiger, and Jordan found ways to motivate themselves every day like GSP. Once you talk smack to any of the greats, they find ways to really show you why they are great. This will be the case for GSP. He will grind and ground and pound Diaz like no others I like watching Diaz, but I am not sure that trying to get in the head of one of the greatest athletes ever is a good decision. It is his only option, but GSP is not like any other fighter other than Spider. Would love to say that this will motivate GSP to finish a fight, but it's been so long I forgot what it is like to see him finish. Diaz's boxing is legit, for MMA, but is it really much better than GSP? GSP's boxing was almost perfect in the Koscheck fight. Diaz wrestling is horrible. His clinch is poor. He is solid on his back, but not against a wrestler of GSP's caliber. I don't see where he can possibly win this fight short of a punchers chance. I am sure the current odds of -400 for GSP will change and actually grow closer to -450 when it gets closer. I always thought Conduit had a better shot at GSP just because he is a little more well rounded, but it does not matter who they put in front of him at this weight class. He has said he is not that interested in going up in weight class, but he will at some point be so bored of winning that he will do it just for the challenge.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-07-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
As far as JDS/Cain. They are very evenly matched and probably the best heavyweight match-up in years or maybe ever. Put that fight on anything besides FOX and I think you see one round fight where Cain uses his speed and wrestling to stay out of JDS range. Put this on Free Fox with a months of promo's and the whole world watching, I just think we see something different here. There is so much at stake for the ufc and fox that I think we will see a 3 rounder spar session before the last 2 rounds. These guys can heavy spar for 3 of the 5 rounds and impress the hell out of the average fan. Than they can let it go. They both have fantastic cardio and speed so they can cruise for 3 rounds. Right now Cain is a -145 in the sports books which is just a slight edge which we RARELY see in the fighting world. It is much more common to see in championship fights a -400 (like the GSP/Diaz fight). This says to me that the betting world sees this the way I see it, very close with Cain out wrestling for the win. Could be first of 5th round, but either way. I have a great record over the last two years of mma wagering, but will probably go small on this one because I do think JDS speed and power posses the first legit challenge to Cain. I may even take JDS as the payoff will be worthy and he has a damn good chance. Either way this is a fight I have waited along time for and would have gladly paid the $60 PPV for this bad boy.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-07-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
What GSP, is a very good fighter...Great no way. Again he doesn't finish fights, has no power in his hands (or least doesn't stand in the pocket to throw a solid punch) GSP will try and hold Diaz down and win a decision. Diaz has better stand up and better BJJ. I think one major problem for GSP is that this fight is suppose to be Super Bowl weekend, which is always one of the best cards for the UFC, I don't think they let GSP just sit on him for to long they will continue to stand them up and keep action going. Diaz always has issues getting off his back, that is the weakest part of his game and he knows it, that’s why he is always complaining about guys not fighting (which is crap its his job to get up). I think GSP will win by another EXITING 5rd wrestling match in which he doesn't try to win, just not to lose.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-07-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Isn't the point of fighting to win? I don't understand how people are so critical of GSP's style. He has never been flashy but he has an excellent track record of beating down his opponents. I don't think you have to KO or Tap Out your opponent to be a great fighter. Since his unfortunate loss to Serra he has had two "fight of the night" and one "submission of the night" he has defended his belt nine times and I can't really remember his losing a round (five unanimous decisions). He stopped Penn, subbed Hughes (supposed to be the best welterweight ever) and he beat down the best in the division. I just don't get the lack of respect people have for him as a champion. He always comes in shape and always seems to improve since his last fight. It seems to me that a lot of the guys who finish fights in an explosive manner (except for Bones) seem to go down in an explosive manner as well because they are swinging for the fantastic finish. I have a tremendous amount of respect for GSP and what he has accomplished and how he has recovered from adversity.

I personally don't think that Cain measures up to JDS. After watching Congo knock him down (twice) and pound on him - with virtually ZERO ground game - I think JDS will dominate him in every phase of the fight. JDS has some wicked power and his BJJ and ground game is one of the best in this division. Either way it is going to be a great fight.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-07-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Once you talk smack to any of the greats, they find ways to really show you why they are great. This will be the case for GSP. He will grind and ground and pound Diaz like no others I like watching Diaz, but I am not sure that trying to get in the head of one of the greatest athletes ever is a good decision. .
According to White, GSP said "He's [Nick Diaz] the most disrespectful human being I've ever met and I'm going to put the worst beating you've ever seen on him in the UFC.[74]
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-07-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
There is a difference between not being flashy and not trying to finish. Ever since GSP has been knocked out by Serra he knew he had no chin, so his sole purpose is to go in there and take you down and not let you up and take the decision. IMO the respect goes to the guys that try and finish, even if Silva gets KO'd he is a great fighter, he goes in and finishes the fight, does that make him susceptible to get knocked out yes but he wants to end the fight he wants to give people what they paid for, I personally prefer that. I don't have a problem with GSP going in there just to win a decision because I know that’s how he fights and I know not to pay for that fight. That doesn't diminish his ability to be a very good fighter; it just doesn't make him great. Even Bones said when he fought Rampage his goal was to finish, he could have went in been safe and won a decision but he wanted to finish, GSP doesn't want to finish. He's finished 3 fights since 2007...I just don't classify that as great.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-07-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
I also don't understand people that are critical of GSP's style. He's lost TWO fights in his entire career. He took Matt Sera lightly and lost his belt and ever since, people say he's got a glass jaw or that he's not a great fighter. That's total and complete nonsense. You don't clean out an entire division, defending your title over and over again, if you aren't great.

I remember having an identical conversation when GSP was fighting Kos... and we know how that turned out. I think Diaz woke a sleeping giant and I firmly believe he will regret it, come February.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-08-2011, 7:28 PM Reply   
My buddy Phatboy has been riding the dos Santos train for a while and I think I am gonna jump on board. I think it maybe close but his striking is awesome and will be the difference.

As much as I hate to say it I think Henderson will take down Guida. I like clay but Henderson looked great in his last fight. He looks very strong for 155.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-09-2011, 12:47 PM Reply   
Ok so after watching some of Nick Diaz fights on youtube, I have to say this, GSP is a better all around fighter but Diaz has an iron chin and never and I mean never stops coming. I don't think GSP has to worry about Diaz knocking him out, he throws a lot of shots but not with any kind of power. What he does do is beats you up enough over 2-3 rounds where you almost lose your will to fight. GSP needs to take him down lay on him for 5 rounds and get an easy win making sure he doesnt get caught in a submission with those long limbs of Diaz.

Henderson also won me over in his last fight, the dude is the real deal but so is Guida. This will be a huge test for henderson and if he wins, then he should be in a contender situation.

Just saw an interview with Ariel Awani and Chael Sonnen, I have to say Chael give the funniest interviews I have ever seen. Looks like there may be a rematch with him and Silva super bowl weekend. Now this is a match I can't wait to see. Something tells me that Silva will be more prepared this time.

Ok so just a few days away from probably the biggest heavy weight match in UFC history, I really just want to see a bad ass fight between these guys I like both fighters.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-09-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
What GSP has horrible stand up! HAHA lay on him for 5 rds, thats what he always does anyways so you don't need to worry about that. Thats why he will never be considered on the same level as Silva.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
Sonnen has quickly become one of my very favorite fighters. I think some of the things he says are absurd, of course, but he's nothing if not extremely entertaining. When he's a guest on MMA Live.. it's easily the best episode ever.

GSP's stand up didn't look to horrible when he left Kos with a broken orbital bone.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-09-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Great broke his orbital bone and still couldn't finish him. Yea thats why he wouldn't even stand with Serra the second time around, he was afraid again of being knocked out by a very sub par striker. Thats why he has never stood up against BJ. He didn't stand w/Hardy of Alves, because those are good strikers.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-09-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
So.. he should play into their strengths and abandon his own? Come on now.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-10-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
No there has been plenty of great ground and pound finishers, but he doesn't try to do that either. What is his strength, take you down and hold you there so he wins a decisions? I don't discard his wins nor do I disagree that he is a very good fighter, but not great...great fighters finish fights!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-10-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
GSP is awesome.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Odds being what they are I am going JDS and Henderson. Can't believe the Henderson/Guida fight is not on tv. That could be a fight of the year type of fight.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-11-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Odds being what they are I am going JDS and Henderson. Can't believe the Henderson/Guida fight is not on tv. That could be a fight of the year type of fight.
fight of the decade material
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-11-2011, 8:40 PM Reply   
Guys how do we watch the other fights that are happening? I mean everyone says they are online but where?
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-12-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
i believe they are on fox.com and facebook, probably look at ufc.com for correct info though.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-12-2011, 10:13 PM Reply   
way to go jds and boxing is freakin corrupt
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-13-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
UFC was weakk..

Boxing final a crock.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-13-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
man i was not a fan of the fox fights last night! Having to watch them on-line sucked! Why the hell did they not show the full card, I understand they didn't get the contract to show the full card but then they shouldn't have done it yet. I thought it was a joke. Compared to UFC fight night on Spike and how the WEC was on Versus, this was a joke. It reminded me of the CBS fights a few years ago. They have a model that works with Spike and what was with Versus, why not just replicate it on Fox. There is something about the main networks (FOX, CBS) that it just doesn't seem to work. Once the fight was on it was good, but all the lead up and only one fight! I'm all for free fights, and non paper-view prices... just wish they would have done it right!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-13-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Ok so the whole fox thing didn't work for me but come on JDS took it to Cain in 1:04 I love Dos Santos. My prediction Brock beats Overeem and then grounds and pounds JDS to get his belt back. On the flip side I did not enjoy watching one fight. For a minute. This whole fox thing was ridiculous
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-14-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Yhea the NFL music playing the whole time was driving me crazy. My bets played out nicely. i have not seen the Henderson fight, but reading it on MMATorch sounded like a great back and fourth battle.

Far as Brock getting through Overeem that's easier said than done. We have seen guys with far less power than Overeem turtle up Brock. If I was Brock, I hire freddie Roach and TYson. I have Freddie teach me to box and Tyson to punch me in the face 50 times a day for 60 days until I am more comfortable with getting hit with that kind of power. Than you got a bad moflicka in Brock. I see that fight seeing brock finally get knocked out cold. Than Overeem fights JDS and now you got a pretty interesting fight as guys have similar standup but JDS is Way faster.

Why the heck was Cain even trying to stand in there. Maybe stand later in the fight, but not when you are both fresh. Crazy he knocks cain out, but pounded on Nelson for 3 rounds and barely phases that mullet.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-20-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
WOW!! What a card! We decided at the last minute to buy the PPV and I'm glad we did. It was AMAZING! Faber absolutely demolished Bowles.. he hasn't looked that good in years. WOW. The main event is definitely in the running for fight of the year. What a great night of fights!
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-20-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
I agree, that was one of the best cards in a long time! The co-main and main event were amazing. I know Henderson personally, I workout at his gym in Temecula, TEAM QUEST, he dug deep to win! I was worried in the 5th round!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
Fantastic card. Not to mention I won every bet except the Bonner fight as I had Kingsburry. Faber looked great. Back to his aggressive style - He needs to do that with Dominick cruz. I would say that has to be fight of the year between Hendo/Shogun. Wow that was fun. Don't think he'll get through JBJ, but he poses plenty of problems with him.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-21-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Everyone should go out and watch the Chandler vs. Alvarez fight from Belator this weekend if you didn't see it..

It was far and away "Fight of the Year" (for about 3 hours)..

SICK scrap - those guys brought it.. Unforunately upstaged by Dan and Mauricio
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-21-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Amazing fights this weekend. I kind of wish the Hendo/Shogun fight was a draw - no one deserved to lose that fight. December 10th card should be interesting as well. I can't wait for Bones/Machida.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-21-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
I decided not to buy the card and it ends up being killer. I guess that is the way it goes sometimes. I am gonna buy december 10th card it will probably be a snoozefest. I used to have a bunch of people over for the fights so the price didn't really bother me but when it is just me and the wife sometimes the cards get a little steep.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
That win should put Faber back in title contention. Can't wait.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-21-2011, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalrider View Post
That win should put Faber back in title contention. Can't wait.
he's already been guarenteed the next shot at Cruz and with Cruz on the shelf with hand surgery - it seems HIGHLY likely that the ultra-likeable Faber and the "heel" Cruz will be coaching TUF against each other while Cruz recovers.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-21-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
he's already been guarenteed the next shot at Cruz and with Cruz on the shelf with hand surgery - it seems HIGHLY likely that the ultra-likeable Faber and the "heel" Cruz will be coaching TUF against each other while Cruz recovers.
I've heard rumors to that effect. Not to mention Faber's boy is doing well in this season of TUF.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
Yhea they will be coaching. I think based on Cruz's comments, he will be very nervous coming into the next fight. He was amazed at faber's speed and power. Now if Faber comes out aggressive instead of tentative - it will be over.

Mikey - Maybe when we are all on the fence on a card we should talk a few days before here in this forumn and set up a place to go watch it. A bar or a friends house. It seems like I never know until Friday or Saturday.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-04-2011, 12:16 AM Reply   
Ok I am sorry great night of fights tonight but Mayhem sucked bad. I was really dissapointed in his performance. I know they were talking about adrenalin dump but come on he was dead after 1 round. Very dissapointing
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-04-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
freakin Mayhem, How did he gas out so fast. That Diego guy is a stud, awesome fight, i thought Bermudez was about to TKO him and boom he breaks his arm.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-04-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
Yeah I was expecting more from Mayhem. Not a good showing at all. I also think Herb Dean stops to many fights to early. I understand fighter safety is number 1 but it seemed like TJ was trying to fight out of it. Also Dean seems to stop alot of fights early. I was saying that if Dean was the ref when Diego hot knocked down he would have stopped it then.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-05-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
I really like Mayhem.. he's been great on TUF. That being said, he looked like complete crap in the fight with Bisping. You fight at 185 pounds and it's your job to be in shape and ready to fight. FAIL.

The TJ fight was stopped way too soon. Very bad stoppage, in my opinion.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-05-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
I also think Herb Dean stops to many fights to early.
This.

I too was disappointed in Mayhem but he sure is a hell of a good guy and hope he gets more chances going forward to show us who he really is. I will say this he's damn tough and has a really good chin. He just needs to manage his fight better.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-05-2011, 1:26 PM Reply   
Bummed that TJ didn't get it. That being said I think several of the fighters from this season will have additional bouts.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-06-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
I thought the TJ Dodson fight was stopped a tad early to. Dodson is a weird kid but has mad skills. TJ is an amazing fighter sojust shows yo uhow good Dodson is. They siad TJ's fighting style was monkey style I thought that should have been said of Dodson that dude is the craziest moving freak show Ive ever seen, did you see those acrobatic moves he was doing after the fight?
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-06-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
As much I love Mayhem - this is the first time I have seen him fight and not only did he gas but he is not a very good fighter. Maybe his ground game is more impressive but his stand up looked like he had been drinking at a bar and it was 2am and he was in the street throwing down with some british douche. I hate the Count but he is legit. He is always soooooo humble after the fight and such a king douche at any other time. I come from a humble family - well you don't like it.

I don't think TJ is that good, Dodson looked awesome all season so I was not surprised by that. he is gifted and has exceptional technique. I didn't want Diego to win but that kid is fierce.

I have got Machida on my mind this weekend........Jones is going down. I am calling it......lol.

Last edited by phatboypimp; 12-06-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-06-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
I bet on Mayhem. His first appearance in the UFC went to decision against GSP, then he was relegated to other leagues. I honestly thought more of him, that and a viseral hatred of Bisping.

OK, Thoughts on the next card?

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
• Champ Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida (for light-heavyweight title)
• Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
• Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Tito Ortiz
• Brian Ebersole vs. Claude Patrick
• Mark Hominick vs. Chan Sung Jung
PRELIMINARY CARD (ION Television)
• Igor Pokrajac vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
• Jared Hamman vs. Constantinos Philippou
• Dennis Hallman vs. John Makdessi
• Yves Jabouin vs. Walel Watson
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-06-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
I love some Jon Jones.. but I'm not buying this card. I'm still protesting Machida being given a title shot ahead.. this should be Rashad Evans.

That being said, my only question mark with Jones is his chin. It's really never been tested. I'm curious to see how this shakes down.. but I still have to go with JBJ.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-06-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
I may get this card. Im one of those guys that likes to see the upset so I am hoping for agood fight between Jones & Machida. All I ask for is that Jons gets oughed up a little so all the other fighters can see he is just human like everyone else. ot hot on this card isanyone else geting tired of seeing fights like Mir vs Nog? I mean I wouldnt go in my own bac yard to watch that fight. None of these guy will ever fight for atitle again. There are so many other fights they could have made. I man come on Tito again? Tito talks big then looses almos every fight he has.

Sorry just venting, I really want to watch the Jones fight but notsure I am that interested in the entire card.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-06-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
Mir and Nog along with Tito and Lil Nog are fighting for their careers. High potential for fireworks in my mind. If Jones finishes Machida that will be his third victory over legends of the sport, solidifying him as the new benchmark in the sport.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-07-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
As you guys know, I am a huge Mir fan, but just can't see this fight being very entertaining. Same with the TITO fight. I do want to see the JBJ fight, but don't expect much. I expect him to be able to easily get Machida down and pound him. Normally Machida loves distance, that will not work against JBJ as long and fast as he is. I could also see JBJ just clinching and beating him up in the cage. Of course there is always a chance he will get popped, but don't think it is happening here. It's going to take a guy like Rashad or Dan Henderson to know him out. Rampage hits harder than all of them and he did not even touch him, JBJ is just an extraordinary athlete and fighter that will surpass GSP and Spider. With every sport there are always guys that come along and surpass those previous stars, he is the one for MMA.

How 'bout Phil Davis vs Rashad. Rashad should clearly win this one, but Phil does have a legit chance there. If Rashad were to lose, does he drop ranks heavily? He has only lost like 2 or 3 times which is crazy that he is not a champ.

Very excited about the announcement of FX's Ultimate fighter Faber vs Cruz!!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-07-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
It's crazy that Rashad keeps getting hosed on a title shot. Machida just fought a WELL past his prime Randy Couture and because of that.. he gets a title shot? Ridiculous.

I am SO SO SO excited for TUF with Faber and Cruz. They legitimately hate each other, so this should be a great season. Can't wait.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-07-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Just heard some BAD news.

GSP is out for at least 10 months with a torn ACL. Condit vs. Diaz will go down on February 4th in Vegas for the interim belt.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-07-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Oh man that sucks. I really want to see GSP & Diaz that is the fight at 170 that makes any sense at all. It's funny, a year ago everyone thought it was a new Machida era, now that he has lost a couple fights he looks human. Jones is now the new sherrif in town it will be interesting to see if anyone can topple him. I agree Machidas style is not a good match up against Jones. I think with Jones you need to get inside put him up against the fence and stay away from those long arms and avoid the take down.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-07-2011, 9:46 PM Reply   
I think rashad keeps getting hurt. That is why he keeps losing his shot. he has a broken hand right now. jones and him will make a good fight, even some bad blood with them being ex-team mates to add some drama to it.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-08-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
Dana has said (not that means much any more) than the winner of Machida/Jones will face winner of Rashad/Davis. Presumably that means Jones vs Rashad. They have been building for this fight for almost a year. Phil Davis is no joke and will likely give Rashad some trouble, but don't think he will get through Rashad. Rashad may be one of the only legit guys against Jones unless you count Dan Henderson. I personally don't think anybody touches JBJ for a few years. He will go on to be one of the greatest ever.

The real question is will GSP be the same after the two knee injuries? We have seen some of the greatest athletes in all sports can be changed mental and physically after something like this. I do believe he is a rare athlete and this will just be a blip on his screen.