Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-17-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...20expenditures

Is this another Taboo word? Is this another word that some Americans can utter but other are shamed at?

Ok here is how I came across the use of this word. I was watching channel 2. I watch a show called Right This Min (short video clips) The show that directly follows it is the Wendy Williams show. I'm working around the house and the show is playing,(normaly if im near the TV cause I cant stand the sound of her voice) I hear her talk about Wizz Kalfia and how he buys a New Bugatti Veyron,
It catches my attention and I go to the Tv where she reports that Wizz ( a Rap artist) buy's a New Veyron at the cost of 2.5 Million dollars. And then she calls the purchase a "Negroidian Expenditure"

The Audience is of Mixed race and 99% lady's and they are all laughing at it. I had a pretty good Idea at what she ment but I did a internet search just to see, and It looks fairly common. even to the point where its used in Prime Time TV? Clearly the lady's on the show thought it was funny enough to laugh at and be party of a TV studio audience.

Wanted to get your Thoughts on the Use of this word and other words like it.
Should words like this be Taboo no mater what the color of the skin the person saying them is or
Should people not be offended buy the Use of them at all?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-17-2014, 12:12 PM Reply   
Even in America, the great melting pot, all races face different socio-cultural and genetic issues. How a race is perceived by others, internal values and race related illnesses shape who we are. We are a world of insiders and outsiders. I'll never know what it really means to be asian (my wife is asian-I'm white) and I don't get some kind of asian ghetto-pass because I have a mixed child. I know just enough about being asian to get myself in trouble. It is always best to just keep my mouth shut.

For example, there is a new sit-com called, "Fresh off the Boat". I hear it all of the time around my in-laws, but it is also a derogatory term as well. They joke with each other and call each other FOBs, but if I said it to someone, I would be saying that that they are uneducated, unassimilated or just don't get being an American--something her family values very much. I'll never be able to use FOB as a term of endearment like her cousins and it will always be be negative out of my mouth simply because I will never know what it will be like to be on the receiving end of the slur. The old saying goes: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So I don't ever say it.

Grant, my advice is to never start a commentary about another race (especially on a website that is +90% one race). Just shrug and say I don't get it. There are a lot of words that I would never say to a black man or woman, well, unless I was ready to go to dukes. This word is close enough that it is just best to walk away.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-17-2014, 2:17 PM Reply   
Ski: You bring up good points. I guess I never thought about how ones OWN race see a "word" as harmless cause it's "coming from there own race or color" and as disrespectful because because your not in their own race.

I guess it go's against the whole Idea of equality & what Martin Luther King was preaching "judge a man by his character and Not by the the color of his skin" In this case if your of color it's ok to use such words but if your not then your a raciest? Isn't that Judging a man by the color of his skin?
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-18-2014, 3:59 PM Reply   
I don't know about Wendy Williams' phrase....inflammatory in the least....but empathy is why people of the same race/past/culture/etc can get away with using the N word or FOB or whatever. They've all been there and know what it's like. They share the experience. As an outsider, if you use those terms you're intruding and assuming you can associate on the same level. I wasn't in the military but I bet it's similar if I were to go up to a veteran and use some of their lingo. If you're not one of them it's insulting to them to act as if you were.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-18-2014, 5:20 PM Reply   
Onthe: But what if your a privileged minority that has never had to go threw the same struggles as you describe above. If your the RIGHT skin color you get a Automatic pass because. Its not like people ask for a resume before deciding weather to allow you to get away with saying non PC lingo. They look at the color of your skin or creed and then Decide. T
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-18-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Even in America, the great melting pot, all races face different socio-cultural and genetic issues. How a race is perceived by others, internal values and race related illnesses shape who we are. We are a world of insiders and outsiders. I'll never know what it really means to be asian (my wife is asian-I'm white) and I don't get some kind of asian ghetto-pass because I have a mixed child. I know just enough about being asian to get myself in trouble. It is always best to just keep my mouth shut.

For example, there is a new sit-com called, "Fresh off the Boat". I hear it all of the time around my in-laws, but it is also a derogatory term as well. They joke with each other and call each other FOBs, but if I said it to someone, I would be saying that that they are uneducated, unassimilated or just don't get being an American--something her family values very much. I'll never be able to use FOB as a term of endearment like her cousins and it will always be be negative out of my mouth simply because I will never know what it will be like to be on the receiving end of the slur. The old saying goes: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." So I don't ever say it.

Grant, my advice is to never start a commentary about another race (especially on a website that is +90% one race). Just shrug and say I don't get it. There are a lot of words that I would never say to a black man or woman, well, unless I was ready to go to dukes. This word is close enough that it is just best to walk away.
nailed it! great post.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-19-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
Trashy