Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-10-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
I'm in the market for a new boat and debating between these two. Surfing is the not the only thing we do, but it's beginning to become more important.

Which of these two are going to give a better surf wave with stock ballast and 6-10 people in the boat? We don't do any tricks, but like to ride w/out rope, obviously.

Anybody have experience with either one you can share (e.g. pics or videos)?

Thanks!

Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-10-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
I don't know anything about what comes as "stock ballast" on those boats..... but as a general rule you are going to be really disappointed with the surfing wave on almost all boats with only using "stock ballast".

Buy the boat with the best hull for surfing and then build an appropriate ballast system for it.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-11-2011, 6:56 AM Reply   
Here is my two cents if you are looking to surf go with the supra they come with ballast bags so changing out the sack to a larger one on the side you surf will be cheep and easy.I personally prefer the sacks over the hard tanks for a couple reasons they will hold more weight and you gain extra storage when they are not full.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-11-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
This is my VTX three people in the boat, full stock ballast except non surf side locker, plus 400lbs in the surf side locker. We just upped our bags to 750's and added what will be 725lbs to the bow, haven't run it full to take pics yet though.
Attached Images

Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-11-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
My friend has a Supra, (gravity games) and it puts out a great surf wave!

No comment on the Bu, I havnt been on one. But the man known as Wheelhouse could give you direction I'm sure
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-11-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
I have a '09 21V, my friend an '09 VTX. Both are amazing boats.

I upgraded my rear ballast from the stock 400 lb bags to the 750s and I often put the 400 on the seat and fill with an external pump. We will often put the external bag on my friend's seat, so ballast setups are, more or less, equivalent. My point of comparison is made using the extra ballast, which is fairly cheap.

While I dig my Supra, I'd give the slight nod to the Malibu's wave for surfing. The Supra wave is a big longer, but the Malibu's is higher. I also prefer the hidden ballast system of the Malibu since there's never a worry about moving gear from lockers when filling ballast.

For other water sports, they are about equal. In choppy water I find the 21v to be a big smoother.

I don't think you could go wrong either way. Both are great boats.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-11-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
ps: i have some video & photos from behind both boats. If you want to see them (and my lack of skills), please shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you some files
Old     (davey_boy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-13-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
I had an 05 21v for 4 years, sold it for a Sanger 237 when I started surfing more than wakeboarding. It's a really nice boat with a great wakeboard wake, but not the best surf wake. The pocket is just not that long and it takes a lot of weight to get it there. I've never surfed the VTX so can't comment on that one other than I've never heard it mentioned as one of the 'great' surfing boats. Really depends on how serious you are on the surfing, but I'd recommend you try them out before you buy.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-13-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
the bu with the diamond hull is going to need alot more weight than the sv25 wake hull. its a hard hull to sink. there are a bunch of both boats at our lake and they are surfable. I have a friend that looked at the centurion avy because he wanted to stay at the 21 ft areana and wanted the best of both worlds. it makes a great surf wave, has a deep v for rough water and you can wakeboard and ski behind it. I had a older vlx(vride) hull and it was hard to get a good surf wake without loading it to death. just some info. good luck
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-13-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
My VTX is anything but hard to sink when it comes to surfing. I've got the diamond hull, and really doesn't impact anything at surf speeds. THe pic I have up above is with barely any weight over stock. The there is plenty of room to throw 750s in if you need more
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-13-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
I don't what hull style my friend has (it's an '09 VTX), but I agree with Chris that it throws a great wake - at least as good as the wake on my Supra 21v. I'm happy surfing behind either.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-15-2011, 7:34 PM Reply   
The diamond hull vtx will throw a awesome surf wave. I ran mine with the power wedge all the way down, all stock tank (except opposite rear side) filled, extra 750lb in the rear lock, a 400 in the walkway. I usually ran with a driver and one to two other people. If I was short one I would throw a 100lb sac on the seat Never had a complaint and I am really picky. Was able to pull 3's and 7's easily. Only thing I would say I did not like was the height would make aerials hard. I am actually worried my new boat (axis a22) will not throw as good of a wave.

Also, I previously owned a vtx (2008) with a wake hull and to be honest the diamond hull threw a nicer surf wake. The wake hull would sink more and actually would be easier to get water over the bow and was def not a bad wave in any way, but it was not as good as the diamond hull.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-15-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
This is great info. I appreciate all the resonses.

I'm really leaning toward the 21V (for reasons other than surfing). We are not serious surfers, but we do enjoy it from time to time. I just want to be able to surf ropeless on a clean wave w/out being 2 feet from the platform.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-15-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
I owned a vtx diamond hull it was easy to surf behind, but the pocket is really short no mater how you weight it. great beginner boat, but you will grow out of it quickly!
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-15-2011, 10:23 PM Reply   
Avoid the diamond hull unless youre looking for a professional ski wake, it can handle intermediate wakeboarders and surfers but you could grow out of it quickly. Either get the Supra or keep looking.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
If you want opinions on the VTX diamond go to themalibucrew.com and search. You'll find many who have gotten great wakes with it.