Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-29-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
I've been looking at various v-drive boats between $20-30k for the last couple months and not seeing really spectacular deals. Not "bad deals" but generally right at NADA with not many people willing to drop the price even off-season and with the ****ty economy.

Anyway, I'm trying to stay closer to $20k than $30k and looking for a wakeboat with decent room to haul people as well -- we usually go tubing and let the girls dance on the boat too

I'm looking at this one:

2003 Moomba Mobius V (V Drive) 22' wakeboard boat and Trailermate trailer with a swing away tongue. Pristine condition. Stored in garage. Original owner. Indmar 350 engine with 219 hours. wakeboard tower with racks, bimini top, ballast system, built in cooler, swim deck, ride plate, playpin front seating, table mount with removeable table, built in marine speaker, marine amp, bazooka tube, removable face stereo with MP3 player and iPod hookup

Asking price is $22k and the seller is really firm. Is this a fair price for an older Moomba?

I looked at similiar year X-Stars and malibus, but they seem to be closer to $30k. Other things considered are Sanger, Supra, maybe a newer Centurion...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-29-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
Great boat and pretty good price. I sold my 2000 MobV a couple years ago for about that but it had the carb motor and 900 hours.
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-30-2011, 3:58 AM Reply   
Right on, what did you replace it with?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-30-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
nothing. I used my dad's 83 stars and stripes for a year or 2 but he sold that at the end of this last summer. All I got now is my families 14 foot Lund and my parents 42' Ocean Alexander.
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-30-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
I know how that is, I've been borrowing bayliners the last few years. I noticed you're a seattle local, same here. Well, Monroe, but same lakes
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-30-2011, 3:24 PM Reply   
Where do you usually boat at? If you have any other questions let me know. I really like the MobV.

I found the ad for the one you are looking at. That boat looks exceptional. It has a couple of really nice options mine didn't. It has the hydraulic trim tab which will be nice for adjusting the wake on the fly as well as help rough water ride and fuel efficiency. It also has the newer, nicer tower then mine had. It has the TBI fuel injected engine where mine was a carb engine. The only thing I see it needs is PP stargazer(call Paul at Bakes for that). Questions I would ask are what type of ballast system does it have and if it is triple ballast. If it is a small ballast system upgrade the front sack to the 1100# gravity games sack and the rears to 500-600's. After seeing the ad I think that is a smoking good price for that boat and I would jump on it quick. Hell, if I was thinking about a boat I would buy it myself.

Another great thing about those is they are super simple. The the switches and gauges are cheap and easily replaceable. I use to put 12 people in mine and it always felt safe.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-30-2011, 3:37 PM Reply   
Another boat to check out is the Calabria ProV listed on Sacramento's CL. From the pictures it looks clean as well. I think it is listed at 20k right now. It might need PP and extra ballast plumbed in if you want a really serious wake with automatic ballast. The biggest downfall of it is it has a terrible tower. I suppose you could swap out the tower with something else for around 2-3k? Those boats have a ton of room in them. They are a little shallow though.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-30-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
Here is a nice boat. Not sure how far Vancouver is from you though....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...setter-23-lsv/
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-30-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
here is one in Washington..
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=16484
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-30-2011, 11:44 PM Reply   
Hey, thanks for the links.

I thought that Moomba had Perfect Pass, thats a little let down. The owner did say it has triple ballast tanks.

I noticed several nice Outbacks around for good prices but most do not have a decent ballast system or perfect pass.

I also considered the Wakesetter 23LSV but I though I read somewhere that it's wake isn't the best (?)
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-31-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
I never heard about a 23 LSV not having a good wake. I think that when it comes down to it, most of the boats that it sounds like you are considering have pretty comparable wakes. I have heard that Mastercraft, Malibu, Super Air Nautique, and such are a little more of a higher end boat compared to Moombas. The build quality is supposed to be better. Don't get me wrong, Moombas are nice boats. That is what I was going to get when I was shopping, but the deal fell through. That is why you are seeing a higher price tag for boats of the same year(s).
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-31-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Looks like a good price and PP is about a $1200 addition if you do it yourself which is not too hard. That boat will crank a solid wake and you can have lots of good times in it.
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-31-2011, 7:23 PM Reply   
Well turns out it's a 2002 not a 2003. Anybody know what the differences are?
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-01-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
Spec wise, they seem to be the same

http://www.moomba.com/archive/#

Here are some reviews from Waterski Magazine. Sounds like they fixed the tracking issues in 2003

2002: http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/200...2002-mobius-v/

2003: http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/200...2003-mobius-v/
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-01-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
Just looking at the links Seth posted you can tell there are a couple small differences. The first is that the 03 has a 3 piece rear hatch which would be nice but shouldn't be a deal breaker. Another thing I think may have changed is in 03 they may have added tracking fins. I remember they did that somewhere in there and the review of the 02 says it doesn't track that well and the review of the 03 says it tracks excellent.
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-01-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
Hmm... The hatch issue doesn't matter to me, but the tracking issue sounds more noticeable. Is this worth an extra thought? Do they mean that the boat's course is affected by the motions of the rider side-to-side?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-01-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
John, slightly. I didn't think it really mattered that much. The fins probably make a bit of difference but most of it might be felt in tight turns at speed.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-01-2011, 6:55 PM Reply   
my 02' had tracking fins but it was a direct drive. not sure if that's apples to apples since the dd was a ski/wake hybrid mobius...

it tracked/handeld great.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-01-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Yeah, the tracking issue comes into play with you have a rider cutting hard from way outside the wake. The leverage from the rider pulling on the tower will tilt the boat towards the rider. The driver will have to correct the boat's path. I REALLY noticed this on my old boat which was an 18' I/O which had no fins. If it comes down to it, you can purchase tracking fins which can probably be retrofitted to a Moomba

http://www.bakesonline.com/searchres...CategoryID=617
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
I have a 21' Malibu (2003) with wedge, around 320 hours, tower with 3 pairs of speakers, with tweeters, cd player with ipod jack and 6 disc changer, 2 amps, sub and transom remote.... Asking $25,000 if you're interested...
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-02-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   

Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-02-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
^^^^
Does the girl come with the boat??????? LOL
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-02-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
Diamond or Wake hull?
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-02-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
VLX with Wake Hull...