Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BWalt)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-04-2011, 4:02 PM Reply   
Hello, I am usually a truck guy, but I am looking at a 2005 Land Rover LR3, and I was wondering how it would do towing my 2008 Enzo 240? Has anyone had experience towing with this car? Thanks
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-04-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
I've owned one and towing is nice and comfy for smaller boats.... I love the auto adjust air ride feature, and the braking was great (although I did have brembo rotors and hawk pads) I have pulled the Axis Wake A22, A20, Malibu Wakesetter VLX, VTX and the Wakesetter 23 LSV (as well as pretty much anything Malibu/Axis)... but I never tried to tow the 247 (I still wouldn't)

It does struggle pulling the 23 LSV up mildly hills... and gets HORRRRIBLE gas mileage. I think pulling anything bigger/heavier than a 23' boat is too much.

In my opinion.... It would suck at towing the Enzo 240. It would struggle and probably be pulled around a bit...
Old     (BWalt)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-04-2011, 7:33 PM Reply   
ok, thanks so much for all the help and info!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-04-2011, 7:55 PM Reply   
We pull an X2 to Don Pedro several times a year with our LR3. Its about 100 miles away with a few good climbs. I wouldn't recommend overloading it but it pulls the 5000 lbs we pull compitantly.
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-04-2011, 11:18 PM Reply   
Rich, that's my lake too.. =) I'm out there almost every weekend during the summer...

As for the LR3, it didnt struggle too much climbing the hills to pedro... but it did when I headed to bass lake for CIE Spring Ride
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-05-2011, 7:08 AM Reply   
The biggest grade on our way to Pedro is the 580 Altimont. We've used it to tow the boat to Bullards Bar a few times over the last couple years. A couple good long climbs getting there that the LR3 really didn't have trouble with.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-05-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
I just got a '08 LR3 and love it. It's going to be a big step down from my F250 diesel for towing, but I only tow a handful of times per year. I can't comment on towing yet. I wasn't too concerned as I mostly use my truck to launch/retrieve our boat.

It is rated at 7,700lbs and a 650-750lb tongue weight (depending if you believe what's printed on the hitch or the owners manual).

There is a factory Land Rover hitch available that slides into the factory mount. It's about $500 from Rover and a wiring harness is available that plugs into factory wiring behind the left tail light. I got my harness from Atlantic British. I think it was about $100. As for the hitch, I decided to go a different route from the factory one. I'm not totally sold on the removable hitch and didn't like where the receiver sits (I intend to use mine for a motorcycle hauler and liked the fixed hitch option better). I got my hitch from rockauto.com. It's a Curt hitch and ran $150. It's rated at 600lb tongue and 6000lb tow. Should cover most boats out there unless you load it down with gear. I'm sure that it's equally as strong as the Rover Hitch, but more conservatively rated.

For you other guys that tow, are you using the Rover hitch?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-05-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
Yeah Evan, I've always towed with the factory hitch. I'll admit I wasn't sold on its strength off the get but 5 years in and a lot of towing later it has been just fine. The only problem I've ever had was one time I had to tap the hitch with a hammer to free it up in order for it to drop from the receiver. The locking pin pulled in fine the metal hitch got pinched on the metal receiver.
I wouldn't want to pull 7700 LBS though. My wife had me down looking at the 2011 LR4 the other day as shes ready for a new one. I bet the increased power from the motors are a great addition for towing.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-06-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
The LR4's are nice. I've got to give my LR3 a few thousand more miles to make up my mind, but I'm pretty sold. It's a do everything truck that still fits in my garage. There really wasn't anything to compare it to short of a Explorer or 4 runner. Nothing else in the Luxury market had the size, towing capacity, off road/snow capability. It would be nice to have a bit more grunt than the 4.4 delivers, but unloaded it's getting the job done just fine, even in the mountains. I'm even impressed with the mileage after hearing the horror stories. I guess anything looks good after driving full size trucks for the last 10 years.
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-06-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
I used the factory tow hitch, I was sketchy at first... but it help up well for the 3 years I owned it.... I was towing about 6 times a week....

I picked up the the OEM wiring harness kit from Land Rover for about $140.00 and installed it myself, really simple...

I actually miss that SUV. It was perfect... I beat it to heck.. Towing all the time, Off roading all winter, snow adventures, being dumb and young with it.. LOL.. I miss it. Now i'm looking at an AWD Audi SUV.. *drooooooooool*
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-06-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
After a fun day of climbing...

*sigh*
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-07-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
I've been off road on fire trails before when riding. Also we've done the dealer off road days a couple times. Its pretty amazing what the Land Rovers can do, even with the street tires. The dealer outings with the experienced Rover guides is a must do for a rover owner. It includes rocks, water crossings, steep hill climbs and descents. We even had a log crossing where the guide was out keeping us pointe straight so we didn't drive off.
All this talk is getting me interested in going for a LR4 test drive.