Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-10-2015, 2:42 PM Reply   
The last time I did this job I could have sworn I found some good information on the process here.

If anyone knows of a reliable resource showing the steps, I'd be very grateful if you'd share!

Note: This is NOT the Black Scorpion motor.

Edit: This is in an '05 Centurion Elite-V

Last edited by fish6942; 05-10-2015 at 2:50 PM.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
Pretty sure we have the same engine & water pump. This picture might be helpful. I took it so I could remember each year the bolts that mount the water pump vs. the ones that just hold it together. This is taken with the back of the pump with the pulley (side that faces stern) sitting on the floor. The two hose outlets are the side that faces the bow of the boat.

Loosen your drive belt and take it off first. Then remove the three mounting screws shown in my photo. Then take the pump out of the boat. Removal of the other four bolts on the pump will take it apart. Once the impeller is exposed, I use a needle nose pliers to grab alternating blades of the impeller to pull it out. To put the new one in, it might be helpful to use a zip-tie to hold the impeller blades curved in one direction and small enough to slip into the pump housing. Don't worry about which direction - once the pump turns it will sort the correct blade direction out itself. Once in 1/4 to 1/2 inch, you just cut the zip tie. I also use vasaline on the new impeller blades to help it slip in. Put in the new cover gasket, then just re-bolt the pump, thread & tighten the engine belt and you're ready to go.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Raw Water Impeller Replacement.pdf (364.6 KB, 223 views)
File Type: pdf Water Pump (Impeller) schematic.pdf (168.3 KB, 308 views)
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-11-2015, 10:24 AM Reply   
It was about 4 years ago when I last replaced the impeller. I don't remember having to remove the entire pump housing. On your boat, is it possible to R/R the impeller with the housing/belt in place? Maybe you can but it's just easier the way you described?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
It would be impossible to replace the impeller without removing at least the belt. I think it would also be impossible to replace the impeller without removing the pump since 3 of the bolts that hold the pump cover/pulley on also double as the mounting bolts holding the pump in place. It's not very hard to remove the pump. My pump is located at the port/stern/bottom corner of the engine. All told, maybe an hour job, but working fast I could do it in 30 min.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-14-2015, 5:40 AM Reply   
Finally got the time last night to do this. My housing looks identical to the picture, at least from the side that's shown. However, the mounting bracket may attach a little differently on the pulley side of the housing which is no big deal.

I ended up removing the pump and mounting bracket as one unit and doing the rest of the operation on the bench.

And yes, there is no way to replace the impeller with the housing attached to the engine. Not sure why I thought it could be. I guess the memory is always the first thing to go...

Thanks for the info!!