Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-08-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Would you buy a boat if it had been used in brackish water but the owner always flushed/cleaned the boat after every use?
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-08-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
yes?
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-08-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
I run my boat in brackish water about 50% of the time and I use Salt-Away after every use. I also wont let salt of any type sit on my boat for any length of time when I get home. Drill him on his exact methods of flushing and cleaning. If the boat is clean and looks like a freshwater boat it is probably well taken care of. I can tell you that here in VB, if you arent taking care of your boat...that salt water starts eating trailers VERY quick. Take a look at that as well. Personally I know my boat is a lot better off than most boats on the local lakes that sit out and are not taken care of. If its the right owner...go for it.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       08-08-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is brackish water?
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-08-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Basically water that is a mix of fresh and salt.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       08-08-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Thankx! I live in Alberta,Canada. So that is why I have never heard of brackish water.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-09-2008, 2:53 AM Reply   
"Basically water that is a mix of fresh and salt."

Technically that what sea water is too.

Rob.B brackish water is generally found a few miles up rivers that dump into a salt water body. Around the mouth or delta of a river your water in it is usually the same salt to water ratio that it is in the body that it is dumping into. As you travel up stream the salt saturation decreases, once it gets to a certain number it is called brackish, then after that you have fresh water.

This is very off topic, but I believe I read about some kind of micro organism one time they found in brackish water that had infected an killed a couple of swimers. They said brackish water was the only enviroment that is could survive in, but it rarly is the cause of human fatality. Anyone ever hear of this?