Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (halvor13)      Join Date: Apr 2019       04-11-2019, 6:31 AM Reply   
Hello Everyone,

looking to buy my first wake boat after years of hard work and saving.

Im currently looking at a 3 different boats 2010 wake setter VTX, 2011 Wakesetter VLX, and a 2011 Tige Z1, just looking for some input from all of you as some pro and cons on the 3 from some real life expeirences.

The 2010 Wakesetter VTX is sitting around 160hrs and from the build sheet doesn't have may options. (https://www.swsmarinecalgary.com/def...OwnedInventory)

The 2011 Wakesetter VLX is higher in hours around 600, and has a few more options than the 2010 wake setter. https://www.wizardlakemarine.com/bra...r-vlx-whi-blu/)

The 2011 Tige Z1 is sitting around 300hrs if i remember correctly from a phone call earlier this week, but doesn't have much for extra options. (https://www.swsmarinecalgary.com/def...OwnedInventory)

All boats are priced fairly close to each other, but the hours on each are very different.
Is there a number of hours that should scare a person or does it matter as long as it was well cared for.

Also if someone could explain the difference between Malibus VTX and VLX as any information i can find doesn't give a clear explanation.

Thanks for all your help and input in advance!
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       04-11-2019, 8:45 AM Reply   
i'll be the first to chime in with an opinion that will get beat up
dunno what your primary use is but my coin and surfing is all we do, I'd stay away from the vtx and try to get into a 22ft. 20ft boats can surf and produce a decent wave but longer hulls will do it easier and with a longer wave.
no opinion on the 'bu's as I've never owned one.
2011 tige is similar to my old 22ve. good boat and build quality/materials. tigetouch screen is spensive if it goes out. alpha z tower parts are getting harder to come by and spensive. a good boat tho.

good luck and sure you'll have many memories no matter the choice.
Old     (halvor13)      Join Date: Apr 2019       04-11-2019, 11:07 AM Reply   
thanks for the input Sandm01

i forgot to put my primary use in my first post. Boat will be used 50/50 surfing and wake boarding.
Old     (GoBeavs85)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-11-2019, 1:03 PM Reply   
I have a VTX and love it but I still enjoy a slalom set weekly. If just surfing and wake boarding I would go for the bigger boat! As long as fitting the bigger boats in your garage isn’t an issue I think you can cross the vtx off your list.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       04-11-2019, 1:32 PM Reply   
I don't know much about the VTX but I'd also cross it off your list based on the length. I also 50/50 wakeboard and wakesurf. Go for the largest boat you can afford that fits in your storage area. Grain of salt - I have a 24' Supra. I went from a 21' Supra to a 24' and never looked back. I would never go smaller than a 23' for my purposes and would prefer a 24' or 25'
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2019, 4:05 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding wise the VLX will have the upper hand being more flat bottomed over the Z1 as it will rock side to side more.

Surfing the Z1 would have the upper hand with the V bottom. Taps is also nice for adjusting the wakeboarding or surfing wake.

That VLX is a nice looking boat. Other difference would be the Tige is all analog gauges so there is a lot less to go wrong in future over the Malibu with the two screens.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-12-2019, 11:42 AM Reply   
I have a friend with a 2013 VLX and it puts out a respectable with its Surf Gate system. It does feel like a pretty small boat, but I am also used to larger boats.

Another friend that I ride with frequently has a 2010 VLX, he uses a Mission suck gate and runs roughly 4k of ballast. Excellent surf wave! He has the Hammerhead engine and think it has treated him pretty well.

On the Tige, the deep V hull is great for surfing. I have not actually surfed behind that boat but have heard that it can be sensitive to weight if people are moving around and make the wave a bit finicky to keep consistent. Again tho, this is not first hand experience.

I think main thing is how the boat was maintained and the shape it was kept in. Of the 3 you mentioned, seems to me that the VLX is the best option and you will have an easier time with resale on a slightly larger boat. The market for 20ft boat is fairly narrow from what I have seen. Good luck with your choice