Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-31-2015, 1:28 AM Reply   
Probably heading out to a conference at Microsoft and I'm looking at staying at a place on the lake, west side roughly 5 mi south of the campus. Wondering if it'll be possible to bike to/from (although the weather may be a problem)...

What are the water temps like?
Old     (GSXRcrasher)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-31-2015, 3:07 PM Reply   
There is a lake monitoring buoy that can be looked up online that tells current water and air temps. Right now Sammamish is 59 degrees 3 feet down from the surface.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-31-2015, 3:22 PM Reply   
It's a little hilly but nothing terrible. The lake has cooled off but still warm enough to ride. The rain on the other hand...
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-31-2015, 4:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
Probably heading out to a conference at Microsoft and I'm looking at staying at a place on the lake, west side roughly 5 mi south of the campus. Wondering if it'll be possible to bike to/from (although the weather may be a problem)...

I grew up in the area and bike to work (Microsoft) a lot. There is a nice loop around Lk Sammamish that you can ride, should take 1:20hr or so for the loop.

From where you will be, sounds like you could ride to Marymoor park and then up the 520 Trail. That trail is a multi-use people and bikes only deal that goes from nearish downtown Redmond up past Microsoft. Guessing you will be at Building 34 or main campus, you take the trail to NE 40th, cross the intersection, go left, over the bridge, past the bus station deal and there is campus. You can also bike up either 40th from Lk Sammamish road right to campus (going that way, the first intersection on 40th and campus is the one that will loop you around to the convention center) or come up 51st and then down 156th to Campus. 51st is a stepper climb and 156th is a death trap of a road to ride on (stay on the sidewalk, there are 100s of new drivers everywhere with very different sense of safety and awareness). There are locker rooms and bike lock caged off areas on campus too. I usually use the locker room in Building 2 when going to that part of campus. Not sure if there is a locker room in the convention building, never looked for one. You'll need a visitors pass and someone with a key card to let you into both the bike cage areas and locker rooms.

Water temps will be drysuit this time of year. The weather recently flipped from killer long summer to rainy and fall weather. That will drop the lake temp pretty quick.

If you want to do some more biking, make your way to Marymoor park. You'll find the Bruke Gillman trail there. That goes out of the park and through Redmond along a slough out to Redhook Brewery, St Michelle winery, and loops around to Lake Washington and to University of Washington and then out to various parts of Seattle. That slough used to have a waterski race down it between the two lakes, it's way to shallow now. I do remember being able to kneeboard and skurf pretty far down it in High School.

Last edited by magic; 10-31-2015 at 4:46 PM. Reason: more details
Old    r33pwrd            11-01-2015, 9:21 PM Reply   
Quote:

Bike ride should be very easy.. little bit of hills as you get closer to the campus but that really depends on what building you are going to. Imo wet suit or dry suit for sure.. personally I am done for the season. I live about 5 miles south but on the east side of the lake.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-01-2015, 10:58 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, very helpful. Guess I'll skip the SUP this time around. Any thoughts on where to rent a decent bike (6'2") if the weather cooperates?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2015, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks guys, very helpful. Guess I'll skip the SUP this time around. Any thoughts on where to rent a decent bike (6'2") if the weather cooperates?
Try Element in https://elementcycles.checkfront.com/reserve/Redmond

Redmond Cycle might. Not sure about Edge N Spoke, plus they are switching to snow season now. They do have some demo bikes not sure if there is any seasonality.

Could try Spinlister too (like AirBnB for bikes)