Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-23-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
This is going to be devastating for the area. I have a trip booked in march, with 250mph winds and 40' waves, I'm not sure how much will be left of Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas. This will be more destructive than Katrina. It's hard to know if climate change and global warming trends will lead to more frequent major hurricanes (cat 4 and 5) over the long haul, but this year in the Pacific basin, the record for major hurricanes has also been broken. Patricia is the ninth major hurricane this year.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...est-storm-ever

Last edited by fouroheight68; 10-23-2015 at 9:06 AM.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-23-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
We have a Cabo trip booked in March as well. I was watching this on the news this morning. Looks like its going right by Cabo but PV looked like a direct hit.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-23-2015, 11:25 AM Reply   
Most likely we are going to have to change plans to Cabo...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-23-2015, 12:19 PM Reply   
did Cabo in May. Odile hit last October. Could barely tell it had come through. They'll be setup to sling tacos and tequila in 3 weeks. The hotel where we stayed, Riu Palace, had very minor damage that they hadn't gotten to yet. If you can switch to Cabo, it doesn't look like it will get hit too bad.

Do yall dive? If so, there's a shipwreck right off El Arco that was uncovered by Odile. very cool drift dive with lots of wildlife around the wreck
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-23-2015, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
did Cabo in May. Odile hit last October. Could barely tell it had come through. They'll be setup to sling tacos and tequila in 3 weeks. The hotel where we stayed, Riu Palace, had very minor damage that they hadn't gotten to yet. If you can switch to Cabo, it doesn't look like it will get hit too bad.

Do yall dive? If so, there's a shipwreck right off El Arco that was uncovered by Odile. very cool drift dive with lots of wildlife around the wreck
I dove in Cabo 2 years ago, went to the marine preserve about 2 hours East. Very cool! I Didnt know about the shipwreck.

Odile wasnt nearly the magnitude of this storm. Im hoping its recovered, Ill play it by ear and make a decision in February...
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-23-2015, 2:47 PM Reply   
Blaming global warming.... Good god
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-23-2015, 3:07 PM Reply   
http://www.wunderground.com/education/webster.asp

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestay...less-frequent/

Climate change and global warming have no conclusive connection to the strength in hurricanes. Where is Al gore when we need him?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-23-2015, 3:16 PM Reply   
Yep, thats why I said "It's hard to know if climate change and global warming trends will lead to more frequent major hurricanes". Who blamed global warming?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-23-2015, 3:20 PM Reply   
In regards to the three year old opinion article from Forbes, here are some actual recent (this year) statistics:
http://www.abc10.com/story/weather/2...land/74477882/
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-23-2015, 3:20 PM Reply   
Here's Patricia's list so far:
1. Hurricane Patricia became the strongest hurricane on record Thursday night in the Western Hemisphere when winds reached over 185 mph. This rivals Typhoon Haiyan which hit the Philippines in 2013. This record breaks the old one held by Hurricane Linda in 1997.
2. Hurricane Patricia is now the 9th Category 4 or 5 storm in the Northeast Pacific, breaking the old record of 8 in 1997.
3. Hurricane Patricia is the 22nd Category 4 or 5 storm in the Western Hemisphere. This beats the old record of 18 set in 1997 and hit again in 2004. Courtesy Phil Klotzbach, Colorado State University.
4. Hurricane Patricia is the 15th hurricane of the Northeast Pacific season. Only 1992 had more (16) through October 22. Courtesy Phil Klotzbach, Colorado State University.
5. Hurricane Patricia is the 24th tropical cyclone to form in the Northeast Pacific this season. Only 1992 had more (26) through October 21. Courtesy Phil Klotzbach, Colorado State University.
The official hurricane season ends November 30
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-23-2015, 3:22 PM Reply   
three year old article that used 5 decades of history. Using the phrase "It's hard to know" insinuates that you're placing the blame, no?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-23-2015, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
Blaming global warming.... Good god
So in your infinite wisdom, it absolutely cannot have anything to do with climate change?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-23-2015, 3:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
three year old article that used 5 decades of history. Using the phrase "It's hard to know" insinuates that you're placing the blame, no?
Actually. no, because I am not a climate scientist, so I would be speaking out of my ass. I'm not sure your objective other than start an argument.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       10-23-2015, 7:25 PM Reply   
I have a co-worker going to Cabo on tuesday so I'll have a status report for the area soon
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
Looks like it cause hundreds of dollar in damage Heck it looks like Texas will have way more damage that Mexico on this storm.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-26-2015, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Looks like it cause hundreds of dollar in damage Heck it looks like Texas will have way more damage that Mexico on this storm.
Crazy, Mexico really dodged a bullet, it's pretty amazing the hurricane went right between two heavily populated areas.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-26-2015, 12:07 PM Reply   
Article sums it up

http://thevane.gawker.com/how-hurric...ver-1738624885