Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gregs_place)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-29-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
What is a good wakeboarding workout routine for when you are training?
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-29-2013, 8:21 AM Reply   
I've just started since my body wasn't up to the riding I did this season. Lots of pull ups, rowing machine like crazy, squats, etc. Other than that I hate to say it p90x does a good job for just about anything
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-29-2013, 9:36 AM Reply   
squats, deadlifts, chinups, bench press.
Old    rullery            08-29-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
shakeweights, jumping jacks.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-29-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
+1 on the shake weights
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-29-2013, 12:59 PM Reply   
+1 for P90X. Bought it because my wife wanted it and I use it now.
Old     (ffmedic)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-29-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
Snowboarding is my off season workout and more (Tow) Time On Water😊
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-29-2013, 2:29 PM Reply   
Aside from the hours of Shakeweight repetitions I also like to incorporate a few sessions of hip thrusts per week with a partner (female). This has been proven to strengthen the core, burn a few Cals, and relieve stress

Last edited by spencercoon; 08-29-2013 at 2:30 PM. Reason: "
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       08-29-2013, 2:29 PM Reply   
What William said. A crap ton of pull ups, squats, and a rowing machine if you have access to one. For squats, they don't have to be weighted. Body weight squats done correctly (neutral spine, full depth) will improve strength, flexibility, and endurance. Honestly you can do almost everything you need at home if you have a pull up bar. Squats, pull ups, push ups, and sit ups will go a long way.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-29-2013, 6:03 PM Reply   
The Tug Toner
Old     (parkerbomar)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-29-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
lol ^
Old     (RIDE_LAB)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-29-2013, 9:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rullery View Post
shakeweights, jumping jacks.
Hahahahahahahahaha
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-29-2013, 9:39 PM Reply   
Lots of core strengthing I do lots of plank based exercises. Time wise I like to work as many muscles as I can in the shortest amount of time. I agree with the non weighted squats.I used to lift weights but lately I've been doing lots of body weight exercises like dips, push ups, and pull ups along with lots of jump rope and a ton of burpees. I've seeing great results too, I love mixing my cardio with my strength training all in one.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-04-2013, 4:04 AM Reply   
Core Workouts
As stated above, P90x or Tap Out XT(killer workouts)
Cardio Conditioning
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-04-2013, 4:51 AM Reply   
Been doing Crossfit for a few years, via www.crossfit.com.

I plan to switch to www.crossfitfootball.com and give that a whirl.

Another one is this, http://theoutlawway.com.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-04-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
I started doing this one last spring at college and my riding this summer was better than ever. Things were just easier because I was stronger. There are other ones on the website but a friend recommended this one to me and as someone who didn't have any real knowledge on "what day to do this" or "what excercises complement each other etc etc" it was really helpful to have a plan to just follow. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size.html
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-04-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
Wakeworld also has this which I think people forget about lol
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/feature/wake-workout.html
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-04-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
I always do a lot of cardio and try to minimize the impact when lifting (slow and squeeze). By the time I'm doing winter workouts I'm nursing a few pains and strains. By January I'm usually healthy enough to mix in some box jumps, quick step drills, etc.

Wakeboarding is a total body sport. You really need to focus on a total body workout. The board is on your feet and the handle is in your hand so you need to be strong everywhere in between.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-04-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Soon will be time to hit the gym hard with deads and squats. Can't wait. Can't do much leg work during the summer if I want to ride a couple of times a week.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-04-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
The rower is all I use to stay fit for wake boarding and winter mogul skiing. i put a wide handle on it to help the chest a bit. Mix it up.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-05-2013, 6:27 AM Reply   
Hey, I'm actually a strength coach and I designed a couple off season programs for some buddies. What I would suggest is a few things:

1. start of with single leg and single arm workouts - this will eliminate any imbalances from riding if you ride mainly regular or goofy
- look up poliquin step ups or peterson steps, single leg RDLs are good too for posterior chain
- do single arm rows with any thing, maching or dumbbell and alternating bench press with dumbbells
10-12 reps

2 - then begin deadlift, look up the trapbar dead lift, reps form 6-8 (muscle building) and advance each exercise from a higher rep (10-12) to lower reps (6-8)

3 - SQUAT front squat preferably - the front squat is a better stress on your boddy, engages core, upper back and wrist and shoulder flexibility

4 - CLEANs - a hard movement but will bring explosive vertical power from your legs and hips which I find relates to wakeboarding quite well with the full boddy extension

This is the basic program, from fixing imbalances to explosive high intensity work. This is not all you will do however, this is just the main exercises you should do tonnes of assisting exercises (bench, bent rows etc.) like other ppl said do full body workouts, I workout full body every day. You obviously want to incorporate lots of core, as you progress throughout the offseason make the core more difficult whether is through resistance or unstable surface. another thing is conditioning, jogging, running, sprinting. depending on what is available at my gym we have tires to flip sleds to push and pull, battle ropes and sledgehammers. I do about 5 minute functional workout - 5mins on 2 mins off about 5 times in a workout. Also, do alot of plyometrics - box jumps, reaction box jumps, broad jump penta jump JUST JUMP see if you can jump up on a table from standing still. The impact of plyos will greatly translate to landing in the flats or boost off the wake.

I hope this is enough and is just a very basic idea of what your should be doing in the off season!

Oh yea, and like others said, snowboard, skateboard, do whatever! I live in canada so I will be snowboarding to stay locked in and sideways! good luck
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-05-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
Forgot flexibility and shoulder mobility workouts (some coach I am). Flexiblity is huge, look up PNF stretching and oyu should do this after a workout.

look up some rotator cuff workouts and in the early phases do these at the begining of your workout, but in the later phases do them last

and remember as the season approaches you will be more focused on core, plyos and conditioning more than lifting wieghts. (weights twice a week but core, conditioning and plyos 4 or 5)
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-05-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Not sure rowing will help your chest Baitk.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-05-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
Nice one David. just got some new battle ropes in the gym. Been waiting ages to get to use them. Will have to include some metcon type work now:-)

I am surprised how many people still just do traditional "cardio". Especially for wakeboarding type sports. I certainly don't see wakeboarding as needing increase cardio capacity.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-05-2013, 12:19 PM Reply   
Jason, I use a really wide handle. Old cut off hockey stick actually. I dont know if it helps but I can feel it in my chest and back kinda like doing bench work but not as painful. I figure that if I feel it, there must be something happening. Could be wrong though..
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-05-2013, 4:08 PM Reply   
+1 for chin-ups, what good is a pull-up going to do?
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-05-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
As we get older I cannot stress as said above flexibility. Strength training is important, but I'm strongly coming to believe that flexibility, whole body flexibility is part of the key to maintaining a younger persons level of riding. It effects everything once you leave the water. From how you twist your body through a spin, to the end over end motion you get in an invert... not to mention grabs!

I'm strongly considering yoga mixed with a regular gym routine. Ideally I'll have 2 parts flexibility, 2 parts cardio and 2 parts strength for a 4-5 day routine.