Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-06-2015, 2:40 PM Reply   
I posted this in the find a 3rd, northern utah thread but havent gotten a response so i thought i would throw it up here.

I was hoping to get some advice from you experienced Lake Powell visitors. I live in Salt Lake. Our big yearly boating trip has usually been down to lake mead and we stay in mesquite, NV at a time share condo. Lately we have just been going to the st. george lakes because mead is so low and the beaches are terrible.

I have been wanting to plan a Powell trip for my family and stay in a house boat. I have noticed most of the listings on KSL are for buying into a houseboat share. I was wondering if people ever sale their time or if i am just better off going through one of the rental places.

I thought being local to utah i might have more options to buy an un-used week but i wasnt sure if that is ever a possibility. This would be for a trip in 2016. Thank you.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-06-2015, 4:15 PM Reply   
I think in their contract they can't just sell off the time of their not going to use. Do people do it? YES! That would be the cheapest way and most likely avoid the fee's that's involved into a share. Getting into a nice boat share seems pretty expensive and if your not planning an every year trip wouldn't be worth it. Either way you go it will be expensive but you will have the time of your life! I would also look into anything from Antelope Point Marina, this marina is so far ahead of anybody else it's crazy. Best service, best location on Powell.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-06-2015, 5:33 PM Reply   
Most if not all Shared Ownership agreements, do not let an owner sub-rent their week to a non-approved party. So you may be able to buy into a Shared Ownership boat by purchasing somebody's share week(s). Second hand you may find something pretty reasonable. Make sure you look into the fine print on Recurring annual fees, and Boat Manager costs ( Usually worked into the fees). Most good boats will at minimum run you $3000 a year in Ownership fees. And then you just pay for the the gas you used while you were out.) Believe it or not , you can find Shared Ownership weeks on Craigslist. search in google for a nationwide Lake Powell rental and you can get all the surrounding states.
good luck.
It is a trip you will never forget and always want to come back to. I have been going for 15 years straight and is Amazing every time!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-07-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. I have been to lake powell a few times so i know how great it is. I just dont have a consistent source of someone to go with. Maybe i need to try and make some more friends that have the hook-up. Last time we went with a friend-of-a-friend that had been going every year since he was kid. We beached the house boat on the other side of the bay from the marina and didnt do much sight seeing because they had seen it all several times over.

I went to rainbow bridge, hole in the rock, and a sand mountain that you could run down and into the lake on a scout trip as a kid. I want to show my kids some of the same things i love about it. I will do some more digging on craigslist and ksl.