Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wolff)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-24-2016, 9:37 AM Reply   
I Have currently started to build a wakeboarding lake in IL. the plans are the following 2,600' long 250' to 300' wide. Shooting for at least 12' deep.
I bought property that had an 8 acre lake on it . The plan is to be around 18 acres when finished.

I got a basic design and layout of the lake but it is based on information I collected for a ski lake. there is 3 or 4 ski lakes in the area but they are only 6' to 8' deep and they do not use them for a lot of wakeboarding.

We have drained the old lake and currently move about 10,000 yards of dirt (all silt out of previous lake). I am doing this myself with family and friends helping and it is going to take at least a year or two to build.

I was wondering if any has built or had anyone build them a wakeboard lake we also are trying to entertain the idea if wakesurfing on the lake also.

I am Looking to talk with people about bank designs and erosion control due to surf and wakeboard wakes.

Also water quality control due to the lake being surrounded by farm fields. There is a lot of field run off.
Old     (joaquin12345)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-24-2016, 11:34 AM Reply   
Try contacting www.bsrcablepark.com in Waco. They have turned their land into what you are pretty much trying to do.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-25-2016, 10:02 AM Reply   
I have always wanted to do this... No matter what day or time you want to ride its glass. If you do go thru with it post your progress, I think it would be interesting to see what the permitting process will be
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-26-2016, 9:55 AM Reply   
boat lake or cable lake?
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-26-2016, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin12345 View Post
Try contacting www.bsrcablepark.com in Waco. They have turned their land into what you are pretty much trying to do.
That place looks amazing.
Old     (wolff)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-26-2016, 11:44 AM Reply   
Boat lake is what I am after. I am wanting to add a two tower cable on one of the coves later on if everything works out.
Old     (gqjeff)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-26-2016, 12:06 PM Reply   
location, as we are in IL also..
Old     (bandit628)      Join Date: Feb 2016       09-30-2016, 11:35 AM Reply   
I'm also in Illinois, where are you building?
Old     (jordanbd98)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-04-2016, 6:06 AM Reply   
You may want to consider digging it deeper cause if u are trying to surf with a heavily weighted boat then your going to lose a lot of push cause your wake bouncing off the bottom and the same with wakeboarding.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-04-2016, 11:27 AM Reply   
Make the ends wider for turns and put islands in to turn around to keep the lake calm. Also look at pics of radar lake
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-04-2016, 12:18 PM Reply   
I feel like I might be dreaming.....where in IL? Please be the SW Suburbs of Chicago....Please....
Old     (jordanbd98)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-04-2016, 12:21 PM Reply   
Radarlake
Old     (dusty2221)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-04-2016, 5:54 PM Reply   
According to Google maps Radar is about 2050ft long, so yours should be very nice with the additional length.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       10-05-2016, 6:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbd98 View Post
Radarlake
Man, what a beautiful place
Old     (wolff)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-05-2016, 10:56 AM Reply   
I am building it in Brighton, IL it is about 30 minutes out of downtown ST. Louis.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-05-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
Radar is paradise for sure but much more ski than wakeboard. Bigger the better for a wakeboard lake for sure! Good luck!
Old     (bandit628)      Join Date: Feb 2016       10-06-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
That's awesome! Are you planning to sell lots for it? Or are you going to sell memberships? Or either lol.
Old     (gqjeff)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-06-2016, 9:23 AM Reply   
I'm 3 hours north of the Lou, so def a bummer!
Old     (wolff)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-06-2016, 12:40 PM Reply   
For right now I am trying to keep everything as private as I can. Once done I was thinking some type of membership once it is done mainly for friends.
Old     (louisOh1912)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-09-2016, 11:39 AM Reply   
Depending on the boat and how low you want to weight it you are going to want 12' as a minimum depth. Anything less than that and it could diminish the wake from the boat. (ask for the technical speak as to why that is, if you want).
250' should be plenty wide, unless you have Randall Harris out there you not going to have a rider with a rope length longer than 75' which is 150' maximum width leaving 50' of run off on either side which is good.
For the bank have it sloped coming into the water. If its too steep coming into the water the wake rollers will roll back off the shore and just bounce back around the lake. nice and mellow and the waves just roll up on shore and go away. But you'd want a decent drop off after that so you minimizes the areas where a riding and accidentally run ashore and hit something with the boat. Turn islands at each end would also help the turn around rollers too.
A dock would be good for getting on and off the boat as well as a place for a rider to start from.
I don't know what kind of wind coverage you have there (trees, hills...) but if you don't have much I'd recommend you look into where the wind usually comes from for certain times of the year, based on that you can plant some trees that'll give you good coverage from the wind. idk what your place is like but would hate for you to get it all done and have the wind ruining the water condition everyday. And planting sooner would mean that they'd be well grown by the time you finished.
I want my own boat lake, and cable lake, and boat...
Old     (FarmTechy)      Join Date: Jun 2018       08-24-2021, 6:23 PM Reply   
Wolff did you complete this project? I am curious how it turned out.