Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-02-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
Alright I have a new girlfriend and she has never snowboarded before but I am not a fan of ever renting gear so I would like to get her a board, bindings & boots this fall. Any suggestions for true beginner boards that won't break the bank?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-02-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
Rent on mountain, not in town. If her boots hurt, your f#&%$ed so it's best to be able to limp down, trade up and try again. Buying gear on a never boarded GF prospect is boggling my 48 year old brain..
If she gets up and rides, great. If she sees some chick with a chick board she digs, great.. Christmas just got easy..
You also now know what boots she likes!
Dont be stoopid. Man I wish I had your problems..

Here is a thought... I live in Florida, My Sis lives in Denver and is an instructor at Winter Park. We go every year. I never buy skis or boards but I do make sure everybody owns good quality boots that fit right.(3 kids, not cheap) We fly in, get our boots from aunties basement and rent skis or boards on-hill. Been working for 10 years. Just get her some comfy stomps.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-02-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have just never been a fan of renting. Just a couple rentals and you have paid for a setup. Not to mention that my daughters aren't far behind her in height and weight so even if she ends up not wanting to keep it I know my kids will. I don't mind spending the money just don't want to go crazy on cost.
Old     (LowPressure)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-08-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
I think I'd rent her gear once or twice, just to make sure she likes it and will stick with it and you.
Pick your days carefully. Conditions aren't very good here that often, especially for a beginner. Don't take her out when it's really cold or icy.
If your really serious about her and snowboarding, you might want to plan a trip out west where conditions are a lot better and get her some good instruction.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-08-2014, 2:48 PM Reply   
There are wakeboards collecting dust in closets all across Texas because I used to pick up boards for girls. The girl I married already had her own.

NEVER buy a girlfriend a board. If she really wants one, she'll spend her own money. Once you have her under contract, that is a different story.