Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       07-02-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
Is Final Pro Cut X worth the $300? I am currently using IMovie on my MacBook Pro. What makes Pro Cut X better than just IMovie?
Old     (JEvans)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-15-2014, 9:28 PM Reply   
Iv never used iMovie but do use final cut pro x. I personaly think it was worth every penny. lots of shortcut options for quicker editing time and tons of editing effects. started using it about 9 months. My youtube channel is EVANS J. check out a few iv done with it
Old     (gmwild50)      Join Date: Nov 2013       07-18-2014, 6:21 PM Reply   
Evans J your video are sick buddy! I have been using IMovie also and after watching your I am pulling the trigger on the upgrade.
Thanks
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       08-09-2014, 3:33 AM Reply   
i have to admit, i'm not sure i'm entirely sold on FCP X. I made the upgrade over a year ago. i think my problem is that its almost too powerful. when i made the switch from iPhoto to aperture many years ago, it seemed like a natural progression and there didn't seem to be much learning curve. the move to FCP hasn't been as easy. its definitely more powerful and i really like the constant background rendering and the fact that audio doesn't have to be tied to the video once you've added it to the timeline. my guess is that i'd like it even more if i had the time to really learn all the functions. also, its pretty power hungry. i run mine on an 8 core pro with a fairly decent video card with 20+ GB ram. not sure how it will fare on a laptop.
Old     (rasorjb)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-03-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have been using Adobe Premiere for years. I used Final Cut Pro 7 a few times but could never really get into it. I started forcing myself to try out FCPX when it came out and now that I've gotten over the learning curve it is a lot easier to use. I've basically abandoned premiere at this point. As far as why is it better. There are a lot more plugins that you can use for X that don't work in iMovie (Red Giant are some of my favs that come to mind). Something else cool you can get is a keyboard cover http://kbcovers.com/final-cut-pro-x-keyboard-cover/ that will help you will all the shortcuts. I use it on a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (Retina) i7 and it can edit 1080p without a hiccup, a small slowdown on 4k however still manageable.
Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-15-2014, 9:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
i have to admit, i'm not sure i'm entirely sold on FCP X. I made the upgrade over a year ago. i think my problem is that its almost too powerful. when i made the switch from iPhoto to aperture many years ago, it seemed like a natural progression and there didn't seem to be much learning curve. the move to FCP hasn't been as easy. its definitely more powerful and i really like the constant background rendering and the fact that audio doesn't have to be tied to the video once you've added it to the timeline. my guess is that i'd like it even more if i had the time to really learn all the functions. also, its pretty power hungry. i run mine on an 8 core pro with a fairly decent video card with 20+ GB ram. not sure how it will fare on a laptop.
I was editing a big project with a friend who taught me all the shortcuts which made the learning process much faster. Once you know them it makes editing take a fraction of the time. I am Jesse Marr on Vimeo and YouTube. Feel free to check out some videos and my trailer to my wakeboard documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBjcAooImg