Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
I'm looking at options to replace my truck, and came across an 09 Sierra hybrid (6.0L) that looks interesting. Anyone towing with one of these, or the SUV equivalent?

I know many of you will probably want to convince me to buy a diesel. I've owned two diesels in the past, and I know they tow better. This is a daily driver and weekend boat / bike hauler, so for my applications I prefer half-tons.

I'm also considering the regular GM half tons, and Tundra Crewmax. Ford isn't out of the picture either, but I've had great luck with GM vehicles over the years and happy to buy another.

Also, the truck I'm considering has the high end LCD display stereo, but no backup camera. My wife's Tahoe has one, and it is an amazing feature for hooking up a trailer. Any idea how / where it could be tapped in? I think the Avalanches have them in the tailgate handle bezel.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-25-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
I read an article and know the trend is for hybrids, but have you researched the length of time to recoup your additional cost of going hybrid? You see people comparing diesel to gas and justifying the difference in price based upon factors like MPG, fuel costs, miles traveled per year, etc....

The deal I saw went through some basics ROI's on hybrids and there were only like 2-3 vehicles that justified the expense in a 5 yr period. They were the Prius and the Insight. All of the others had hella long justification times. Many of the SUV's were like 50 yrs. They even did one on a Lexus that would take 109 years to justify the difference. They took into account a ton of different things and made basic assumptions on miles traveled per year etc and I apologize I don't remember the details.

It is a big marketing campaign really to make you look and feel like you are helping the earth....

To each his own, but I think the HYBRID down the side of a nice looking truck or SUV cheapens the look of it too.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       03-25-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
I have a 2008 Hybrid Tahoe (6.0L). I tow my Centurion 216 regularly with it. When towing I am averaging about 13 mpg. When I bought it I got it for less than a comparable non-Hybrid. Plus I got the 2200 tax credit because it was a Hybrid.

It performs excellent pulling the boat. It has 100K 0 deducible including Hybrid system. It gets my strong thumbs up for meeting the bill.

-Dax
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
........ the HYBRID down the side of a nice looking truck or SUV cheapens the look of it too.
As does the "SPORT 4x4", "Z-71" or "Hemi" down the side of everything else.

The GM hybrid is an interesting design. I guess the electric engine is integrated into the transmission. So there is both a gas & electric engine. And the truck senses when to transfer power to each engine. And there are parameters when BOTH engines are being used.... like towing up a hill. I read where the tow rating for the hybrid is actually higher than the conventional truck for this reason.

Not sure if it stops any better though.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-25-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
As does the "SPORT 4x4", "Z-71" or "Hemi" down the side of everything else.

The GM hybrid is an interesting design. I guess the electric engine is integrated into the transmission. So there is both a gas & electric engine. And the truck senses when to transfer power to each engine. And there are parameters when BOTH engines are being used.... like towing up a hill. I read where the tow rating for the hybrid is actually higher than the conventional truck for this reason.

Not sure if it stops any better though.
Towing is better because an electric motor has peak torque at zero rpm and all the way up the rpm range.

Hybrids also stop better due to regenerative braking. This turns the electric motor into at generator and slows the vehicle down along with the brakes. Its not uncommon for hybrid vehicles to have their original brake pads past 100k miles.

There is a lot of "monkey business" going on with the electric motors and transmission with the help of one majorly sophisticated computer control.

Just make sure you sell it before your warranty expires. The cost of batteries or the electric motors alone, will put you into cardiac arrest. These are not vehicles you tinker with, unless your properly trained. They can kill you.(300 volts DC)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Great point about the batts, had not considered that. I am a tinkerer, and not sure I could handle not being able to work on my truck. I'd also be concerned about transmission life & repair costs.

This is an 09 with like 20k on it, and is priced competitively to the others I'm considering. Otherwise it wouldn't be in the running.

Last edited by trace; 03-25-2010 at 5:08 PM.
Old     (Moseley618)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-26-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
I don't know why but the towing capacity is only 5900lbs on the hybrid while the regular quad cab is 10,400lbs.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-26-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseley618 View Post
I don't know why but the towing capacity is only 5900lbs on the hybrid while the regular quad cab is 10,400lbs.
Mostly to save their butts from warranty issues. The engineers probably prefer that number to be lower but then the marketing dept would have a fit.