Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-14-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Any opinions about this camera? Is the high ISO performance that bad?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-14-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
awesome camera. iso performance is very good on the camera.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-14-2007, 10:49 PM Reply   
I just bought one :-) All the reviews are excellent for it. My lense, Nikkor 18-200mm should be here this week, then I can start playing with the camera. "Only" paid $50 over MSRP for it! They are hard to get, but supposed to be the best all around lense for the Nikon digitals.

FWIW costco has the D200 online for $1399. You can not beat their warranty, which I was happy to pay a few extra dollars for. The kit lense from them is a good deal, if it fits what you are doing.

I also bought a spare battery, 77mm B+W clear multi coated lense cover, non UV as you do not need it with a digicam, and one 77mm polarizer along with a stepup ring. Within the week, I will be picking up a Tokina 12-24mm lense. Gonna cash in all my loose change, at a Coinstar, in exchange for an Amazon gift card.

Chatting with a customer today that owns a D100 and D2X, he responded that the D200 is a great camera, and I would be very happy with it. The Canon 30D is not shabby either, and a little less money. Many people prefer the Canon, but I wanted a Sea $ Sea underwater housing, for mine, so Nikon only.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2007, 2:34 AM Reply   
Great camera. Great feel, great pics. You will notice noise at high ISO and dark subject matter but I really don't do that much of it so it doesn't affect me.

For the price it is very hard to beat. If you want anything better you are into the $2500 range for the Canon 5D (and whether that is actually better or not is much debated) and then into the 3K-6K for the Nikon D2's and the Canon EOS 1D.

I love mine. As far as lenses go Nikon can't seem to keep some of them in stock. For some reason the 18-200VR and the 10.5 mm fisheye is always out of stock. I am currently saving up for the 70-200VR and should have it for the summer season.

Anyways, you really can't go wrong with the D200 (Unless you buy a grey market version from Broadway photo they swore was a US version then you might get screwed....don't ask me how I know :-(
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-15-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
To answer the posters question, in tests I've seen, it's not that bad but Canon's ISO 1600-3200 is somewhat cleaner. Given the effectiveness of noise reduction programs like Noise Ninja and unless you're shooting at those ISO's a lot and blowing up your prints over 8X10's, it's certainly nothing to worry about IMHO.

On a related note the new Tamron 18-250 is now shipping in both Nikon and EF mounts and early reports say it will give the 18-200VR a run for it's money from an IQ standpoint (but without VR of course). I've been pleasantly surprised with a Tamron 24-135 on my XTi and may give that lens a try. If the IQ is anywhere near as good (or better) then the 24-135 (and I can handhold it reliably at 250mm LOL) then I may have found my new walk around setup.

A good buddy of mine has now quit Minolta and is a regional Nikon rep so I may be jumping off the Canon ship however. ($ talks)
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
The Sigma 18-200 OS is coming out sometime in March. I am keeping my eye out for some reviews. I hope it's decent because I think the addition if OS at long zoom would be nice. Maybe it will be good enough to compete with the Nikon 18-200 VR. If not I will be looking into the Tamron 18-250 for my 20D.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-15-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Costco online has the 70-200mm Vr but it's still cheaper through B&H.

I put myself on the waiting for the Nikon 18-200 at Ritz. Took about 4 months to get it. Nice thing about Ritz online- No Tax or shipping charge.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-15-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Costco had the Nikkor 70-200mm last week and it is now gone. I specifically wanted the 18-200mm and do not have time to wait 4 months, so it cost me $50 more than Ritz, but I had to pay USPS shipping, from Hawaii too. Cheapest you can find the lense now is $899.

I would guess since it is limited quantities, Costco will sell out of the D200 pretty quick, which is why I snatched one now. Even with Costco's warranty I am still gonna have to insure it against theft as Costco will not cover that. I can not imagine loosing $5K of camera equipement and writing it off as a total loss.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-15-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Did you consider buying the D200 with 18-200mm kit?
It's in stock at BH this very moment.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-15-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
For me, I wanted to buy the body from Costco incase my housing floods. Not much you can do about a housing flood at 100ft. Maybe send it up with an SMB?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-15-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
basically, you want costco to pay for the loss when you eff up. and people wonder what drives prices up.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-15-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
Exactly!

I am not one of those though that bought the big screen tv to watch superbowl then returns it the next weekend
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-15-2007, 10:31 PM Reply   
you may not see it yet, but yes you are.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-15-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
I would say there is a difference between returning something and exchanging it. Remember I work for a company that will warranty pretty much anything for any reason. We choose to do that, and keep our customers happy and coming back.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-15-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   
there's a difference between tools and cameras. tools are expected to take a beating.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-16-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
I wouldn't expect much from that new Sigma. While they have some very good glass (I've owned the 70-200 2.8 EX and it's every bit as good as Canon's equivalent) they're previous attempts with OS lenses have been duds

Also Peter there is a huge difference between returning a camera for legitimate reasons and consumer arrogance. If your camera gets flooded because of a faulty seal then you should deal with the repercussions and not the store that sold you a camera to be used on dry land. People like you are the reason Costco is in the middle of changing that policy (in fact I believe they already did)