Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-28-2005, 5:48 AM Reply   
Hello All,

New member looking for some opinions. I'm looking to upgrade my I/O to a v-drive. My time is split about 50/50 between slalom and wakeboarding.

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the Elite V-drive (or the non-C4 Lightning) and the Moomba Outback LSV (or the same hull Mobius LSV).

I'd appreciate any comments you may have regarding this comparison.

I realize this audience is a little biased so I'll post this on the Moomba forum as well.

Thank you all!!
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-28-2005, 6:39 AM Reply   
Paul, good luck with this request. If you do a search about a month ago or so you will find everything you need to know and then more. People have a tendacy to be biased to what they bought so just test drive both and make your decision.

I had a Moomba Outback and it was a great boat. Upgraded to a Supra SSV so that is my input.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-28-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
Lighning hands down....at least my hands
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-28-2005, 10:59 AM Reply   
I see your checking all the web sites, more information is better.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-28-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
I vote the Moomba. Incredible boats for the money. They have really improved their product in the past few years. I owned an Outback (DD) and loved it. I have since upgraded to an XLV. Like it was suggested earlier (And you will hear this from everyone on here and it will be the best advice you can get) test drive both! Compare what matters to you! Then beyond that there is something else to take into account, the Dealer! This is something else that everyone will tell you and again it's an incredible piece of advice. Dealer Dealer Dealer!!! Check them both out, find out which one you like better and take that into account. Specifically, check out the service department. These are the people you will be dealing with when you are having problems either warranty or other. This is the time to be dealing with someone you like and you feel will take care of you. Being off the water due to mechanical issues in the summer is the worst in this sport. Do your research now and be with the people you feel more comfortable with to take care of you.

Good Luck!
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-28-2005, 8:16 PM Reply   
lsv for sure my buddy had a centurion till he got in my boat and then he sold his both good boats but moomba all the way I think he will probably go bigger than both he's now lookin at mbs
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-28-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
Moomba is part of the Supra family. Skierschoice has great customer serv. That has ben my exp. They issued a ra# to have my boat sent back to the factory at no cost to me to do warranty work. I don't know of many manufactures that would do that if any. I don't think there is a bad boat on the market(wakeboard/ski)it's what ever fits you're needs. Think about service and part's and how close the dealer is.

good luck!
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-29-2005, 6:45 AM Reply   
Which do you think will give the better slalom wake?
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-29-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Paul, If you get the Moomba make sure you get the wakeplate. If you put that in the down postion the slalom wake is pretty good.

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-29-2005, 7:09 AM Reply   
V drives are going to have a to have a slalom wake more like your I/O The lightning/Elite V has been in the Centurion line forever and was a old Ski hull so with the bennett trim tab you can help the wake like Insuranceman said about the Moomba.......having said that it is a V drive so the slalom wake is not near as good as an Inboard's

The Lighning C4 / Elite V C4 is an all new hull and was designed with wakeboarding in mind it is not as slalom friendly as the old lightning/Elite V
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-29-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
If you go with the Lighting and plan to ski the hydraulic wake plate is a must. I set it to 100% for skiing and any time I'm going fast. Set to 0%, fully up for wake boarding. I couldn't imagine what it would be like with a fixed wake plate.

This is probably the case for both boats.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-29-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
I don't know what year dan w's friend had but the boats are very different. The Centurion has a much deeper freeboard (sides) and the ride is better. The hull on the lsv is the same as the Mobius they just fit it to be a V-drive. The wakes are very different as well. You really need to ride both before buying either. Hydraulic wakeplate is a must on both. Good luck.