Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-03-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
I started getting my w2w HS FS 180 this summer, but to be honest, I barely nail them 25% of the time. It seems that when I land, I bounce off the water (and then wipe out).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I'm wondering if maybe it's my board that's not forgiving enough for my skill level (I have a 142 Era. I weigh 180lb. This year is my third season).

I was thinking of giving a try to something like a Murray, which I heard that it is super forgiving, or a Fish.

Any opinions?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
don't ever blame the board for you not being able to land a trick.

figure out why you're not riding it away. if you're bouncing off the water, you're coming down stiff legged. absorb the landing and continue cutting away towards the shore.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       10-03-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
My guess would be that you're not getting the board quite far enough around. This makes it hard to get over onto your toe-edge, leaning against the rope. I assume you're letting go with your front hand, if you're not give that a try, it should help with body position.

This is how I always explain a HS FS 180: Take a nice approach into the wake, pop, and when in the air pull hard to your back hip with both hands, then let go with your front hand and try to land on your toes, edging away from the boat with tension in the rope.

If you're w2ws are consistant, you might consider grabbing the board with your front hand after you let go, this usually helps with body position in the air. Good luck!

-Steve
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-03-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
umali said it right, either landing straight or on your front foot too much. Also, really try to make sure you land on the downslope of the wake at first.....landing switch in the flats does tend to lead to some bouncing.

The era is a very forgiving board.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-03-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
yeah, just take it wake to wake. that will help.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Lots of good advice here.

Landing on the down slope of the second wake should help.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-03-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
Steve nailed it with the landing on the toes comment. For me the secret was landing and riding away on the toe side edge.
Old    xtremrider            10-03-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
A big problem i had when learning w2w 180s was my total spasmatic switch riding. I had a dificult time landing because i could not ride switch. As soon as i practiced riding switch i started landing the 180's almost 100%. Plus the weird thing for me is my 180's and 360's are way bigger than my just regular w2w. About twice the hight and way into the flats.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-03-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
im a weirdo here, these days my switch ones are biggest jump i have.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
Mike, how did the R2B work out?

sorry for the HJ
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-03-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
ya mike - what are you doing posting and not answering your own thread?? ;)

but i'm with you - a lot of times my switch jumps (hs) are better/bigger than my regular.

just so it's not a continuation of the hj...

i would second the idea that you need to take it w2w. if you're bouncing you're probably landing in the dead zone (trough) - not on the downside of the other wake, but not far enough out for a smooth landing. hard place to land.

but i would also stress as said previously, that you need to be comfortable riding switch first before landing anything revert. it would seem to be obvious but you'd be surprised how many folks i've seen trying 180s that can't ride switch. they forget about that part of the trick.

(Message edited by deepstructure on October 03, 2005)
Old     (centralcali)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-03-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
Santa-
One thing that really helped me with my 180's was to look away to the other shore through my landings. I wouldn't "bounce" but would slide out. Now when I hit 180's I look to the shore as soon as I leave the wake and don't look down until I have landed and ridden away.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-03-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
ha, you guys need to check the "whats holding you back thread"!

the cajones man, i pussed out.

next time maybe?
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Santa here reporting...

Just came back from a set. I tried landing on the downslope of the second wake and that worked really well! Landed each and every time. Thank you!

I then tried to take it further out, but then the bouncing began again... Oh well, guess I'll have to wait till this really sinks in before I take it way out into the flats.

Santa
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-04-2005, 9:45 PM Reply   
congrats yo. 180's can be progressed like no other trick, take em floatier, slower, grab them longer........and there is a million different variations to em. Knock yourself out (not for real though).

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2005, 7:13 AM Reply   
I practiced a lot if inside-out's to get the landing down. I also tend to agree with the comments on landing a bit stiff legged, as that's what I was doing a lot too. Glad you nailed them though!

Eric
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-05-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
xtremrider-usually when you are doing tricks they are significantly higher than you w2w jumps..