Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-14-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
Excuse my little knowledge of wheels/hubs/etc, but this past weekend I went to tow my boat and noticed that one wheel was missing a "cap" on the hub (I think) of the wheel and leaked a bunch of oil out. This is on an EZ Loader Illusion double-axle trailer. Can someone tell me what part this is and where I could buy a replacement. Also, how hard is it to replace? I'm honestly not sure if it's just a cap or what. Hopefully someone can tell from the pic below. Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
that looks like a bearing buddy cap missing the cap and zirc fitting. Not sure, but there should be a cap covering the nut.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       03-15-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
that looks like a bearing buddy cap missing the cap and zirc fitting. Not sure, but there should be a cap covering the nut.
I have no firsthand experience with them but that's not a typical grease filled hub like you're referring to. They usually have a clear lexan type cap and are filled with gear oil (something like 75w90).

All I know is that the OP is lucky he made it to his destination without the hub seizing up.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-15-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
From the look of things, you are in a little bit of trouble.
If you have not been on WW for long, there was the enigmatic Sam Ingram / Bocephus. He knew a lot about axles ... and other mechanical stuff. He also had very firm political views. One thread, after a clash, he deleted his user account. He is missed greatly at least for his his mechanical knowledge (and willingness to help out).

Here's a sample. (I have two boat trailers. One with grease, one with oil bath. I prefer the oil bath ... now that I have educated myself how to maintain them.)

The debate over which is better rages. Semi-trailers all have oil bath bearings, but none have to launch in cold water while hot, perhaps compromising the seals. On lightweight trailer loads, grease bearings can survive the most suffering neglect.

When you have an oil bath bearing, the hexscrew tightens to 15 inch pounds. That is light tightness. Don't overdo it when retightening the plug screw.

(I carefully drained all the oil, took solvent, cleaned the hub threads and hex plug screw, and re-applied Lock-tite. I have not dis-assembled again so I don't know if wise or not but ... all is well after 2 seasons.)

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782730
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-16-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
if it's an oil bath hub just by a new cap and fill it with oil....is there a fill hole anywhere?

or is a grease style bearing buddy system?

After you get grease/oil in there tow it a few miles and put your hand on the bearing cap...if it's hot, you need to replace the bearings ( fairly easy job) . IF that is the axel with brakes on it expect it to get a tad hotter than the others.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-16-2012, 9:25 AM Reply   
That looks like an oil bath hub. If you drove any distance without oil in there you really need to get those bearings replaced. There not that expensive and the whole thing should be taken apart and new parts added.

The whole assemble consists of an oil seal in the back and cap in the front. I'm not sure how that cap would come off, but somehow yours did. I believe that cap would need to be specific to that hub.

I heard what usually fails is the seal and you'll only notice the oil missing when it's too late. I've heard of people switching to grease hubs, but I've never had problems with my 06 trailer with oil bath hubs.

Post a pic of another tire so we can see if it's a grease cap or oil bath cap.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-16-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
Tough to tell from the pic on my phone but if that is/was an oil bath hub do not drive it at all until it's replaced. If you need to move it or tow a short distance remove the tire/wheel and chain up the axle or if it's a torsion axle there's no need. If driven without oil the bearing will disintegrate and the wheel and tire will come off the axle. Had a close call last season when one let go caught it just in time when it started smoking and caught on fire! Fortunately it was a triple axle so we pulled the wheel and made it home.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
Ya, Jeff I thought it looked kinda funny, I have no knowledge or seen a oil bath type, just the grease type.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-16-2012, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. It is a double axle trailer and I towed it at least 90 miles like this, if not further before I noticed it. I am going to try and take some pics of the other wheels this weekend and post them so you can see what they look like.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-18-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
Ok guys, here are a couple more pics...one of the bad wheel and one of a good wheel. Can anyone help further? Know what I'm missing? Know what part I need and how to fix it? Thanks again for everything!
Attached Images

Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-18-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
Yup, thats an oil bath hub. You need the cap that fits that brand of hub. Do yourself a favor and change out those bearings on that axle while your at it.

just doing a little googling tells me ez loader puts vault lubrication hubs on the trailer.

this link from pacific trailers explains the hub a little bit
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/The-V...cation-System/

and this link show what just the cap looks like
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/The-V...rotector-1980/

you might just call ez loader and order the cap from them

Last edited by jv210; 03-18-2012 at 9:28 AM.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-18-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
Jason,

Thanks for the help and for taking the time to post the links!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-19-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
IF you have a local trailer supply store, go by there and buy the parts...have the sales guy walk you through how to change the bearings out. It's really easy, but there are a few tricks that make it a breeze. It's easier ( IMO) to hear it in person...or youtube and watch a video.

I've had the back seal go out on mine and all the oil drain out.....