Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-21-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
We were thinking about taking a trip next month and wanted to try this area rather than Mohave. I haven't seen any recent threads on how the water is here. Has anybody ridden here lately? If so, any feedback about this area would be great - good or bad.
Old     (220_superstar)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Been there lots its deep water from needles down past Moabi to topac. You can take the river down into lake havasu and get to the sand bar good party area about 40 min boat ride to the sand bar and hour and half to london bridge. Get out early am and late in the evening for the good water. Just past needles north is a real shallow area BE CAREFUL. Other then that no worries gets crazy on big weekends. DD
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
thanks david. how far north is it shallow? I don't plan on going north but we are planning on staying in a place at Palms River - I believe that is northern needles.

I have done the havasu/parker thing many times - looking for something a little different.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Used to go there a lot, was one of our favorite places on the river. DD is right, just north of Needles Marina are some shallow (rocky, not sandy) spots. They are navigable, just be aware!
Current is pretty quick, and water level can change quite a bit during a 24 hr. period.
Have fun!
Old     (dub2rat)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
The water is shallow around the bridge in needles, there are also a few spots north of the bridge that are sketchy....but if you are south then you should still watch out but you are in way better shape. As far as riding, i have been going on trips to that area since i was little, the riding between needles and park moabi is sick, kinda reminds me of parts of the delta. The wind doesn't effect you much and most boat traffic is just passing by, the shore is all beaches and sloped rock walls so your wakes don't bounce back much. However, right in front of park moabi can get busy, and in the gorge there is no skiing or riding allowed.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-23-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
thanks guys... great info.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-23-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
What they all said. Best time to ride there is either before 10am or after 4p (lots of PWCs & go fast boats going between Laughlin and Havasu City). Water is cold, around 65, but crystal clear. Love that place.
Old     (220_superstar)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-23-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
FYI the Palms River resort is north of needles and just past the shallows that I was taking about. So when you go south be careful and going north from there its about 45 minutes to Laughlin there are a some shallow spots going north from the Palms. The water level is key in the am is will be down and in the evening it will be up so use a stick or a rock on the beach to guage the level. If you have a PWC use that to scout the area have fun and watch out for the shallows.