Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
So it's confirmed: Complete ACL tear. Doctor gives me the choice as to getting surgery or not. If I don't, I'll have to stay away from any impact sports (including Wakeboard) for the rest of my life. If I do get surgery, it seems there is only a 80% chance of success and approximately 9-12 months total recovery period before I can get back to wakeboarding.

My questions for those of you with ACL surgery experience:

1- Are you back to normal?

2- If you did happen to fall in the 20% that didn't succeed are there very negative consequences (like chronic pain or impairments)?

3- Are there any new techniques other than traditional surgery available my knee?

Thanks!
Old     (justinlkgb)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Dude...that sucks. I would have the surgery though. Good luck Santa.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
1 - yes and its better than before (knocking on wood)

3 - Tons of strength training will help but personally, I tried that method and had no hope.

Looking back I would not hesitate to get surgery again. Do you homework and find a good doc. I can also PM you some things I did that really helped with rehab that most people don't even mention.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-09-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
I had a pattela graft done (ACL tear)

Mine is stronger than ever but my legs are also way stronger because I make a conscience effort to keep them strong

I have a major mental block with it though
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
I did my ACL 10 years ago and never really looked back.

ACL surgery is very common, just make sure you go to a Dr. that is competent and hit the rehab hard.

9-12 mos seems long too, depending on your age and how hard you work to get back.

PT makes a HUGE difference, and that is all within your control
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
I had 2 ACL surgeries on right knee on 1 on the left. Wakeboarding is my cocaine habit (& probably more expensive). I chose different options each time (patellar tendon graft, hamstring graft & cadaver/allograft ligament). BY FAR....the least painful and back on the water fastest with the allograft ligament (but, likely weeker than using your own tissue). The hardest to recover from was the patellar tendon. Get the surgery and get off the crutches as soon as possible...the first few days post surgery of flexing/extending will determine how long your recovery time is. (I strongly recommend the CPM machine that does this for you, even while you are sleeping.)

This site is pretty good at listing advantages and disadvantages to consider.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/aclrepain/a/acl_3.htm

GOOD LUCK!!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-09-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
My dad had it and he is back in full force. My buddy had it and 2 years and 3 surgeries later its a battle everyday. Go figure.

I say go for it though. I'd rather have an 80% possibility of riding again than a 0%.

I stacked super hard this morning and I'm heading to the ortho tonight, knee is swollen, walking sucks, and it won't fully straighten...X-fingers
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-09-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
I had a patellar graft done about 3 years ago and am good as ever. 9-12 months and 80% seem kinda wrong to me. I'd get a second opinion and make sure it's a sports ortho surgeon. I was back at 100% in 6 months. But it's all about re-hab. You gotta work hard.
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       07-09-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
i did mine in high school and had the surgery, hamstring graft. had the surgery in october and was on the water the following season, albeit with a brace. now i do everything without a brace and have never had any problems. there is definitely more than a 80% chance of success, i'd seek a new doc if he's telling you that. take it easy for a month or two and then bust your ass at physio and you'll be good as new. i noticed you're from canada, same as me. try to see a sports doc/surgeon, someone who deals with athletes lots, he/she will give you better info. i've also done my achilles this winter. it seems much worse than the acl not only the pain of the initial injury but because the repair itself seems strong now and my range of motion is back, however its really hard to get the strength back in the leg, calf specifically.
Old     (littewend)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-09-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
I think some of it has to do with other colateral (no pun intended) damage. My hubby tore ACL, medial colateral, lateral colateral, and shredded both menisci (the cartilage pads between the bone) - which is common with acl tear. He had a patellar tendon graft and they had to replace one menisci with a teflon pad. He had a rough recovering but the repair is strong. He doesn't quite have the flexibility he used to and he has some impact pain d/t the meniscus pad. I would definitely recommend surgery because all the joint instability with lead to serious arthritis in a hurry.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-09-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
I'd say get a 2nd opinion, but you're in Canada.

He's wrong about not being able to do impact sports. I know several rugby players who have torn ACLs
Google ACL tears and repairs. You will find a lot of information.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-09-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
not to be morbid, but you are looking at this wrong. there is an 80% chance of sucess, which is pretty good. there is a small chance you will die in the surgery, but you don't worry about that so side with the odds for both.