Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-15-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
Yesterday, air was 47F and water 53F. I put on my 5mm, ski gloves, a neoprene hat and my closed-to bindings and went out for a ride.

However, I noticed immediately that I was running out of breath constantly, and I barely had the strength to hold the handle. I wasn't cold anywhere (I did a dock start).

I should be in peak shape, as my season started like 5 months ago, but I felt like I was in worse shape than if this were my first ride of the season. Another friend of mine exprienced the same thing last week.

Could this be related to breathing the cold air or anything else with the cold?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
Santa,

After riding last week in similar conditions (MO) I had the same issue. Growing up I had a mild case of Asthma though, so when the temperature changes quickly, bronchial tubes contract, and it makes me feel like I am breathing through a straw. I'm not sure how common this is (for those w/out asthma), but I have also been in decent shape this year, and run on a regular basis.

Anyway, its something you might want to check into. I will probably be using an inhaler before my next run in cold water.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-15-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
It happens do some warm up exercises get good and warmed up this will help but yes it is hard to breath when it's cold out.
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-15-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Also try to breath in the nose out the mouth for as long as possible. Breathing in the nose warms up the air more before hitting the lungs.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
I also notice i get exhausted very early on in my set. If I try and take a normal length set, Ill wear myself completely out. I wonder if it has much to do with wearing a tight 4/3 wetsuit constricting my breathing.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-16-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
I get much more tired much faster in the cold. We ride in SE wisconsin until it starts going below freezing at night for more than an hour or so. That usually takes us to around Novemberish. The last few weeks, I am tired faster, out of breath more and it is darn hard to hold that handle. I find that the handle issue is because of gloves most of the time.

It's the end of the season, do what you can to enjoy it.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-16-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
yeah, your wetsuit creates more resistence, just walking in a wetsuit is more straining then without one. Also the cold in the lungs does a little number on you too, but a 5mm, defenitly is what's doing it.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-16-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
Yup, riding in those conditions takes a lot of your bodies energy just to stay warm. Add to that the constrictive nature of a wetsuit and you run out of breath pretty quick.

I am debating on wearing my 4/3 or jumping straight into my baggy drysuit for those reasons.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-16-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
why would you debate that Matt. Is the drysuit less comfortable to you. Most people I know go straight from trunks to neo top to drysuit. Just seems like it is so nice to get out of the water and be warm ady DRY.
Old     (boardridesurf)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
Santa,
Do you usually wear gloves? If not I bet that is why your grip is wearing out quick and you can't hang onto the handle. Also if your wetsuit is tight on your forearms, this is another reason why your grip is wearing out quick and you can't hang onto the handle. I live in Colorado and there have been years were I have windsurfed or kiteboarded every month of the year here (my wakeboat gets winterized in early Nov, so no wakeboarding). There have been lots of times where the water and air temp has been colder than what you are describing. I would recommend a baggy drysuit (not a tight wetsuit - especially not a 5 mil), and DaKine neoprene mittens (for water use). These mittens are thick on the outside of your hand but the material on the palm is very thin which doesn't change your grip size and they are pre shaped for a closed grip so it doesn't take extra strength to keep you grip closed. Anything that is tight on your forearms or increased the diameter of your grip will make it very difficult to hang onto the handle (or windsurfing boom or kite bar)for long. A drysuit, DaKine mittens, neoprene skull cap and closed toe boats and you will be able to ride longer and in colder temps. However our formula for when we really question if it is worth it is when you add the air temp and water temp together and it doesn't add to at least 90.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
I know what you're saying. We went on Sunday and it was down to 74 degrees water temp. Any lower and we'll seriously have to consider how much ice is required to cool the beers.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-16-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
on top of the cold affecting your body the cold water also makes the water more dense, making the wake seem harder as well as the flat water when you crash
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-16-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
Dude I went last November in a 2/3 shorty and I swear that my hands were blue when I got out..not to mention that I felt like a piece of wood on the board. The cold is a killer and I'm in Alabama. Can't belive you cats in Wisconsin or Michigan go this long.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2007, 12:45 AM Reply   
there was an interesting article in this month's transworld surf about how it's good to pee in your wetsuit for warmth
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
snicker...
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-17-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
You're also carrying at least ten pounds of water in your wetsuit and closed toe boots.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-18-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
Well said Jason.

All of you who live in cold weather know what it's like to walk outside at -20 and take a big deep breath. Same type of thing happens but to a lesser degree because it isn't as cold. It tightens everything up and makes breathing harder. Your body will naturally cough as an attempt to protect the lungs from freezing. Get an inhaler and keep it with you when you ride in the cold. Take a puff or 2 before and after you ride. But there comes a temperature level where your lungs just can't take that much cold. Be careful.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-18-2007, 9:55 PM Reply   
I'm about ready to break out the drysuit....Air temp was 83 and water temp a chilling 73. BRRRRRRRR.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-19-2007, 3:53 AM Reply   
But I can snowboard fine for hours!?! Fatigue is much more noticeable wakeboarding in 50* than it is snowboarding in 20*.