Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (agf80)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-28-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
I had acl reconstruction 15 months ago and my knee still swells up when I ride. I was curious if anyone else has this problem or if I possilby re-injured it.
Thanks
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-28-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
My knee got swollen on the p. tendon where they took the graft. There was a knot at the kneecap and one on my shin. But that was my first time to ride after surgery at 6 months. It has never happened since and I'm almost 12 months out of surgery.
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-28-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
I just had acl surgery a little over 3 months ago. When do most people start riding after surgery?
Old     (cglass08)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-28-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
I'm also 3 months out of patella ACL surgery and just started running on the treadmill. Doc said I should be ready to go 3 months from now. Anybody else have problems when they first got back on the water?/ how was your first set after surgery?
Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-28-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
anybody got patellar tendinitis? Ive have it and was wondering how long it takes to heal. (i got it from lifting too much, now i cant even ride the stationary bike)
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
I have a blown acl and haven't had it repaired. I dont suffer swelling or anything and really hardly any instability. I originally injured it in october on a backside wake to wake 180. I snowboarded all winter and have been fine and pain free. No brace but tons of work on keeping it strong and staying flexible. Plan to hit it up again as soon as the water warms up and cleans up a bit.
Old     (agf80)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-28-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
I rode at 6 months for the first time after surgery. The first set was fine took it really easy. You just have to get past the fear of hurting it again.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-28-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
swelling at 15 months sounds pretty extreme. Usually swelling means there's something bleeding internally. I'd be getting some advice from your doc.

I started riding at about 9months which was a bad idea for me - i ended up hurting myself again (stretched my graft). Tried again at 12 months and things went a little better.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-28-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
I was cleared to ride at 4 mos for a multitude of reasons that would take a long time to explain. I rode a roam board braced up for the first two months until I was 6 mos out. After that I switched to a regular board no weight for a few weeks, then added full ballast and w2w around 7 mos. No big tricks until 8 months+ out.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-28-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
I had the patella ACL surgery 14 months ago and havent had any kind of swelling after riding or ever. I'd definately go to the doc.
Old     (agf80)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-28-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for your advice, I figured that wasn't normal. Callin the doc tomorrow
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-28-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
I had my first one done in august and was jogging 10 mph on the treadmill within six weeks went to rehab and did alot on my own. I have not been back on the water since the op. I was pumped to get back on the water. then I was loading my 4wheeler and it flipped off the truck and I tore my other acl. I immediately started rehab and got it very strong. I had surgery 3 weeks ago tommorow. I am doing so well I am going to rehab on my own at home. I do have a bowflex, treadmill, elliptical and a stationary bike. this leg already has almost 100% range of motion, I am at a very light jog and I fell I could do light running if I wanted yet I won't I will start to ride around may. I will be wearing cti pro sports on both knees, and will take it very easy for a while. Ii I were you talk to a doc and trust yourself you will feel what you can do
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-28-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
I had my first one done in august and was jogging 10 mph on the treadmill within six weeks went to rehab and did alot on my own. I have not been back on the water since the op. I was pumped to get back on the water. then I was loading my 4wheeler and it flipped off the truck and I tore my other acl. I immediately started rehab and got it very strong. I had surgery 3 weeks ago tommorow. I am doing so well I am going to rehab on my own at home. I do have a bowflex, treadmill, elliptical and a stationary bike. this leg already has almost 100% range of motion, I am at a very light jog and I fell I could do light running if I wanted yet I won't I will start to ride around may. I will be wearing cti pro sports on both knees, and will take it very easy for a while. If I were you talk to a doc and trust yourself you will feel what you can do
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-28-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
sorry for the double
Old     (michael_sollis)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-14-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
I tore my ACL/Meniscus on a tantrum about a year and a half ago, had surgery, did therapy, and retore it like a week before riding season....the only huge problem i have is when i land in the flats or a roller my knee will pop and hurt like a mother....creates alot of fear on going big.
Old     (bawllaoutacontrol)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
wutup guys! i have a health promotion degree and I have also worked with trainers and therapists in a physical therapy clinic. Dan-the tendonitis is a condition that doesnt really heal. It will probably act up every now and then mostly after riding. I have it and i would suggest taking glucosamine chondroitin. Its a vitamin that you can find just about anywhere (walmart) take it everday and it has been known to help with tendonitis. It works for me so maybe it will work for you. The main thing every rider needs to know is that knee problems result from poor quad strength. The quadricep can absorb alot of the stress you put on it while riding. For example: when you fall wierd and your knee wants to twist, your body's natural reaction is to flex the quad. The stronger your quad=the harder you can flex to keep the knee from twisting=prevention of injury. Also keep those hamstrings and quads very flexible, make sure you warmup and stretch before and after every set and ever workout. Work those legs with leg presses, squats, lunges, quad extensions. do some plyometrics=ex:stand on a bench, cooler, box, anything that puts you around 3 or 4 ft off the ground. jump off and when you land with both feet on the ground bend your knees absorbing the landing then immediately once you reach 90 degrees jump straight up in the air. this type of exercise makes that quad really really strong and explosive. So get strong and flexible.
hope this helps...if you ever have any questions dont hesitate to ask.
Old    rpettman            03-16-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
I am about 6 weeks out of ACL/Miniscus surgery. Going to PT 3 times a week trying to get back on the water as soon as possible. Stability and strength is starting to come back, which makes me wonder if wakeboarding could be good rehab in another month or so? No jumps or anything risky, just riding with the bad leg back building up strength in the quad. What do you guys think, too risky or possibly the only fun type of rehab? Doc says to stick to exercises with my feet on a platform, a stretch I know.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-16-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
don't do anything risky before 12 weeks! the graft is still pretty fragile before that - even if you're feeling good.
personally i wouldn't risk it, but only you know what your knee can take.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Don't get on a board at 10 weeks! Wait until 16 and then just on the skate. You'll hate yourself if you catch an edge and twist it and destroy the graft. I had mine done Dec. 2006, on the skate May 2007, on the board July 2007 and I am thankful that I was patient as I just finished a solid winter of ski racing- back at nearly 100%
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Post op swelling is also dependent upon the type of ACL reconstruction your MD chose.
For those who have had a patella tendon graft done whether it be auto or allograft - it takes about 4 months for a blood supply to form.
BTW- swelling impedes the healing process. So if you've had a lot of swelling during the postop course of your surgery, it would be wiser to add a few more weeks of rehab and downtime before you attempt to get back on the wakeboard for the 1st time.
By all means don't forget to ice.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-18-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
I am a dummy.I rode the wake skate at 5 weeks. last weekend was 6 weeks and I rode the wakeboard. I only rode one set both weekends. I felt pretty good but did not want to push it.I did it as rehab. I have most of my strength my legs look the same and my quads are very strong. I was a little nervous but had to get in the water. I did however wear braces on both legs. I have full range of motion and I am running without any pain. I would not recommend it to anyone else and know if I did hurt it I would want to kick my a$$
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-23-2008, 10:46 PM Reply   
at seven weeks wake to wake legs feel great everything sore except knees. every muscle in the body
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-24-2008, 4:06 AM Reply   
I had one doctor tell me that a good way to test the strength in the knee that had surgery is to hop across the room on your good leg (three long hops) and then try hopping across the room on your other leg. If you can't do it on your bad side, you probably haven't built your muscles back up to where they should be and you risk re-injury. I had acl surgery Oct. 1 and I think I'm gonna start doing some mild riding here pretty soon. With a brace that is.
Old     (gbp09)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-24-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
I had the same prob after my acl/minuscus surgery and they finally had to go back in and take out the screw. It still hurt after I ride, but a brace helps alot....
Old     (agf80)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-24-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
How long after surgery was the screw removed. I was told that the screw will break down over time.