Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (PtownNate)      Join Date: Aug 2019       05-04-2020, 4:03 PM Reply   
I’m looking at a used 2011 super air Nautique, coastal edition. Under about 450 hours, used in salt water part time. Owner seems pretty meticulous, any areas I need to pay closer attention to that isn’t obvious?
Or should I forget it and run away ?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-05-2020, 4:48 AM Reply   
Depends on price and condition. It is easy to say run away. Watch: Run away. See easy to say. But kind of depends on price and condition.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2020, 5:37 AM Reply   
Lots of factors to consider. Salt destroys and shortens the life of everything. I would never buy a salt water boat but I also never boat in salt water.

Do you plan to use it in salt water? Hows the price and maintenance, etc.
Old     (PtownNate)      Join Date: Aug 2019       05-05-2020, 5:50 AM Reply   
Asking 44k. I do not plan to use it in salt water. Owner states he flushed it every time after use in salt water and used an anti-corrosive designed for boats / salt water applications. Coastal series has some stainless components and a fresh water hookup to run through the water component of the partial closed cooling system. I’d like to take a look at the exhaust manifold and risers and their water jackets before buying but I don’t imagine he’d let me do that.
The owner seems meticulous but haven’t seen the boat in person yet.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-05-2020, 6:21 AM Reply   
the real damage is on the inside. by the time you can see the corrosion on outside of engine, its definitely time to run away. you may be able to find an engine block plug you can pull to inspect the internals. even the inner side of the plug can tell you quite a bit.

although sounds like this guy took pretty good care of it, it's still a saltwater boat. I'm sure the flushing and non corrosive agent has helped, but still a bunch of salt hours, you have to assume.

i thought these had closed cooling systems these days?

Personally, in this economy, I'd be looking at other boats. might be worth 44K, but I'd almost guarantee you can find a fresh water boat for the same money.

the risers aren't too difficult to remove vs the manifolds. if you're set on the boat, tell him your offer is contingent on inspecting them. he may want a professional to disassemble, but doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Last edited by denverd1; 05-05-2020 at 6:27 AM.
Old     (PtownNate)      Join Date: Aug 2019       05-05-2020, 6:26 AM Reply   
The block is closed cooling. Raw water runs through heat exchanger and out exhaust manifold. Also could budget in exhaust manifold into price, found a kit for $800.

I probably should keep looking. That year / model for the price seems favorable compared to what’s out there...but I guess what people are asking and what they’re taking may be a different story.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-05-2020, 6:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PtownNate View Post
The block is closed cooling. Raw water runs through heat exchanger and out exhaust manifold. Also could budget in exhaust manifold into price, found a kit for $800.

I probably should keep looking. That year / model for the price seems favorable compared to what’s out there...but I guess what people are asking and what they’re taking may be a different story.
did a quick search and it's definitely priced below the market. factor in new manifolds in a few years and new exchanger should cover most of the problem areas.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-13-2020, 10:10 AM Reply   
I have a 2012 axis salt water boat that is full closed cooling. If it does have the salt package, I would not worry about the boat too much, as long as it has been taken care of like the owner says he has. I would look at the motor mounts. Those tend to corrode quickly if the owner did not care about bringing salt water into the boat.
Also, steering cables tend to seize up if they do not have a stainless steel mounting tube. Most boats come with aluminum mounting tubes and SS cables.
I would also check the zinc anodes on the hull. If they are light and need to be replaced, it may mean that the boat sat and could have been stored, floating in salt water. My anodes have not wore down because I do not keep my boat in salt water longer than a day.

I have not had any issues with electrical, engine exhaust, or transmission components due to salt water.
Again, it all depends on how well it was taken care of. If the owner washes the boat, inside and out after ever salt water day, I would not worry a single bit.

The biggest worry is the trailer. There will be rust on parts of the trailer, even if it is galvanized. I had a set of torsion axles fail and brakes fall apart. I have seen a lot of salt water trailers with the brakes completely removed. This is the main reason I no longer boat in salt. I just refurbished my trailer and do not feel like doing it ever again.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-28-2020, 1:05 AM Reply   
a good galvanized trailer has stainless steel hubs, calipers and rotors, mine has zero rust on brake system and zero on trailer after 6 years of 40 -45 weeks a year of double dunking in brack water each weekend, but our brack is def not that salty, 2014 boatmate painted galvanized trailer