Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-09-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
Is anyone else following this? I know beach and henderson are! We're both about to get royally screwed by NU.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
Lots of talk about it round here on sports radio... Mostly because we are the only Conference where Basketball REALLY holds any weight.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-09-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
any talk of inviting Kansas to the ACC?? haha. Seriously, how effed up will it be if one of the top 5 basketball programs of all time is left in a non BCS conference?
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-09-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
LOL, not that I have heard... And that was their big point, how it is amazing that they are just blowing off KU BBall....
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-09-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
PAC-16 ?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/...=ESPNHeadlines
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-09-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
The "Pac-16" is going to be the biggest Charlie Foxtrot...think back to the whole three-way tie incident, now add in USC, Oregon...

EDIT: Not to say it would not be exciting.

Last edited by marshk344; 06-09-2010 at 8:46 PM.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
Please stay Nebraska.. please.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
We are definitely following it close around here!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-10-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
Nebraska and Colorado gone. Now for the 5 south teams to follow suit. Interesting. I guess there is still a chance for my Aggies to end up in the SEC but we'll see.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
my Jayhawks are so effed.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-10-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
Yes, this is pathetic. Second best, to the SEC, conference in overall sports. BigTen has been a joke the last few years, don't get how they can just waltz around being so high and mighty still. This will screw the schools of Kansas. Television money shouldn't get in the way of common sense and rivalry.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-10-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
BigTen has been a joke the last few years, don't get how they can just waltz around being so high and mighty still.
Because they make 20x more $$$ then any other conference.

Quote:
Television money shouldn't get in the way of common sense and rivalry.
Why, it is a business, nothing more.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-10-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Not going to argue it's not a business, but it's not right. Nebraska isn't even good enough to hold this much influence.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-10-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
at this point I'm hoping NU leaves for the Big 10, they cap their conference at 12 teams. Leave ND out. CU to the Pac 10 and Texas decides NOT to go to the Pac 10 and play second fiddle. Big 12 replaces Nubbs and Buffs and the Big 12 continues on! Otherwise KState, KU, Iowa State and Baylor all get screwed! Oh and Missouri too... which i think would be funny because MU thought the Big 10 was going to invite them along and didn't! Now MU is scared sh*tless!
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-10-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
There's still plenty o time for MU to get accepted to the Big 10, but as an alumni, 'yes' we are scared.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-10-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
Yep, a lot of schools are going to be left out. Sad for sure...just glad mine is not one of them! Red Raider fans should actually feel very fortunate.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-10-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
If we get screwed I think the only chance KU and K-State have is to join the Mountain West and pray that they have enough clout to take the Big 12's BCS spot. I'm hoping that DeLoss Dodd at Texas is not just blowing smoke and actually wants to save the Big 12. I think we could add any combination of Utah, BYU, Colorado State, or Boise State and still be in a very good situation. An addition of the Salt Lake market could be great for the conference, but would suck for travel. No offense Andy, but I hope Missouri gets pissed on in this situation. I am so tired of hearing Missouri fans squak about going to the mighty Big 10. The only thing that Missouri holds over the Kansas schools is the ability to bring St. Louis and KC into play and a larger state population.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-10-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
Tech's not in yet, Im hoping hard that the PAC takes Utah and calls it a day.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       06-10-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
nebraska isn't good enough to hold this much influence?

do you know how many consecutive sellouts they've had at nebraska in football? the huskers draw crowds like there's no tomorrow. i'd want them in my conference.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-10-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Yes, this is pathetic. Second best, to the SEC, conference in overall sports.
Pac 10 is actually the best conference in overall sports.
Quote:
The Pac-10 has led the nation in NCAA Championships in 43 of the last 49 years and finished second five times.
http://www.pac-10.org/school-bio/pac10-school-bio.html
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-10-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
He should have re-phrased that, the second best in sports that matter

Who cares that Nebraska has sold out xxxx games. It's the only show in town. There is absolutely nothing else going on out there. You still can't get cell service in half that state. Nebraska hasn't won anything meaningful since the 90s. I hope they enjoy the bluebloods in the Big 10. They think Texas is bad, wait until they match up with the Michigan and tOSU fans!

Supposedly nothing came out of the A&M/UT meetings today. I still think we'll see something tomorrow. I wish the SEC would come calling for KU and K-State. I'd love to open the door to some more of that Florida recruiting.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-10-2010, 9:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
He should have re-phrased that, the second best in sports that matter
Our football numbers are pretty sub-par. We got a guy working on that, though...

Ranking, Conference, total NC's (Baseball, Basketball, Football)
1. Pac 10..50 (26, 15, 9)
2. SEC........35 (7, 10, 18)
3. Big XII....33 (10, 5, 18)
4. Big 10.....31 (6, 10, 15)
5. ACC.......27 (5, 12, 10)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-11-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gilbert View Post
im hoping hard that the pac takes utah
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
Somebody should take note that the biggest and best part of the pac 10 just got put on suspension for 2 years and may lose one of those national championships.

Big 12 schools take it as a sign and stay where you are at.

I can't believe that there is not some conference beating on KU's door. I would think their basketball program would make a lot of money.

It really doesn't make much sense for the texas and oklahoma school's fans either. Now they will be playing their games 2 time zones away.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-11-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon4pres View Post
It really doesn't make much sense for the texas and oklahoma school's fans either. Now they will be playing their games 2 time zones away.
They will probably only play one game every other year in the Pacific time zone. If the conference expands to 16 teams, it will be broken up into a 'west' and an 'east.' The Arizonas will join the Big XII schools in the 'east' so 6 of the 7 'east' conference games for OU or UT will be played in the central time zone with one away trip to an Arizona school. Then each 'east' team will play a 'west' team and travel will likely be split so that no one team has to routinely travel THAT much.
Old    deltahoosier            06-11-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
The money is not in basketball. Football is where the big money is. Also, only a few schools in the big twelve were making money and the PAC 10 is supposedly offering $20 million a year to all schools with the start of a TV network. right now the big schools (texas, tes a&m and Ok) are getting around 12 million or so. At least that was the break down if I heard it right on the radio last week.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-11-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
If your going to start counting championships you need to add to the list when the schools were in the SWC and Big-8. The Big 12 has only been around since 1994.

The PAC-10 has been around allot longer than the Big-12.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-11-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
Neb unanimously voted for going to the Big Ten. I only wish them the worst
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-11-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....92f8114a.html

Everyone in but A&M?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-11-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
Kansas really doesn't have a lot to offer other than Basketball, which like others have said, is really not worth a lot of money even if you are a brand like Kansas. Kansas is horrible at almost every other sport they put on the field. The football team just fired their best coach in decades after closing the season horribly, their athletic department is a mess right now, and there are no TV sets in Kansas. I'm just hoping that together the Kansas schools can at least get something. It looks as it the top 3 basketball teams entering the '10-'11 Big 12 season will be looking for a conference (K-State, Baylor, and KU).
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-14-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
looks like the b12 is staying intact, thanks to $20M+ tv deals for UT and 2 other teams.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
i'm hoping that the reports are true....
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-14-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Me too....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-14-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
it's official...UT turned down p10's invitation.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
So the BigTen has 12 teams and the Big12 will have 10 teams. Again, I only hope Nebraska falls flat on their face, especially given being competitive in the BigTen right now in football is a cake walk
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-15-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Nebraska will be upper tier in the Big 10.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
YES!!!!!!

http://www.pac-10.org/genrel/061610aaa.html

June 16, 2010

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. -- The Pacific-10 has extended an invitation to the University of Utah to join the Conference. A press conference will take place in the Rice-Eccles Stadium tower at the University of Utah tomorrow at 1 p.m. MT/12 p.m. PT.

Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-16-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
Thats a nice add. I was hopeing Utah and Boise would get invites to a major conference.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2010, 12:14 AM Reply   
Utah should say no. If the Pac-10 really wanted them, they would have asked them prior to Texas turning them down.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2010, 12:48 AM Reply   
"you didn't pick us first, so no."

yeah...good reason to turn down millions in revenue.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-17-2010, 5:06 AM Reply   
Texas.......Utah.......... yeah, no matter how good of a team Utah may have, they dont have anywhere near the name recognition or brand power as Texas. Cant fault Pac10 for shooting high to start with.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
Utah should say no. If the Pac-10 really wanted them, they would have asked them prior to Texas turning them down.
The University of Utah could not care less if they were the 106th choice.... This is a University changer.... Just the influx of money from television, from 1.5M to 8-12M.....game changer....

Even though Utah is a research university, being grouped with the PAC 10 adds to their academic prestige & overall exposure.

This is nothing but win for the University of Utah. I could not be more pleased.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
^^agreed. I know there are only a handful of College BBall fans on here but the Bix 12-2 bball is going to be incredible. we basically took the 2 of the worst teams and dropped them. We had 7 teams in the tourney last year. to have 7 of 10 next year would be incredible.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
Ian, this is going to be the best basketball conference top to bottom in the country next year. I've seen Baylor and K-State in the Top 5 in multiple preseason rankings and I'm sure KU will be there as well. I'm really glad the conference is sticking together.

I think I'm going to pick up tickets for the October K-State vs. Nebraska game. I'm sure we'll give them a real nice going away reception.....
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Joe, where is the millions coming from? Pac-10 has nowhere near the TV revenue that the Big 10 or SEC has (around 50 million compared to over 200 million for the Big 10 and SEC). Do you think it is going to increase much because the Pac-10 landed a dismal Colorado team and Utah? Not to mention the perennial powerhouse USC is in the doghouse and the only other top 10 team this year will be Oregon. Landing Texas and Oklahoma would have ensured huge TV dollars for the Pac-10, Colorado and Utah (not disrespecting, I think they have a good team), not so much.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-17-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Jeremy- the millions that Joe is referring to is from a new TV deal that the Pac 10 will be signing very soon. Our last commissioner (Tom Hansen) signed a TERRIBLE TV deal and that's about to expire. Enter the new commissioner, Larry Scott. He hired the guy who brought Penn St into the Big 10 and also helped get their TV network going. So yes, the expansion w/ Texas and OU would have led to a new TV network deal w/ Fox, and since ESPN didn't wanna wind up a loser in the deal they stepped in and offered to overpay the Big 12 and allow Texas to have their own network so that they would stay together as a conference instead of dissolving.

There will be a new TV deal soon, and that will net the Pac 10 conference money that should be in the ballpark of what the rest of the conferences are getting. Larry Scott has also mentioned that he isn't nearly done with expansion. And if the Big 12 implodes after a year or two as some are speculating I wouldn't be surprised to see UT and a few others head west.

Last edited by scott_a; 06-17-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Scott, you are crazy. I am not saying that the revenue won't increase, but it won't be near the Big 10 or SEC. With Texas and OU, yes, but who can they get that is going to attract the big dollars? No bowl games for USC for the next two years (and I don't believe the NCAA is done with USC, look at McKnight) is crippling.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Joe, where is the millions coming from? Pac-10 has nowhere near the TV revenue that the Big 10 or SEC has (around 50 million compared to over 200 million for the Big 10 and SEC). Do you think it is going to increase much because the Pac-10 landed a dismal Colorado team and Utah? Not to mention the perennial powerhouse USC is in the doghouse and the only other top 10 team this year will be Oregon. Landing Texas and Oklahoma would have ensured huge TV dollars for the Pac-10, Colorado and Utah (not disrespecting, I think they have a good team), not so much.
This isn't about landing Texas and Oklahoma... Of course the PAC wanted the Big XII teams...but it didn't work out.... Nobody is arguing that the PAC made the wrong decision in bringing in Utah over Texas & OU.....they didn't have the choice... Colorado was a done deal from the start.

Yes the $$$$ will increase....by millions. They add a top 20 and mid 30's television market(they already have 5 of the top 16 markets)....those are not a big deal, but they don't hurt considering those teams are now going to get a split. Their current television deal is a piece of chit and will be renegotiated.

Add in a minimum of 10M for a championship game...... They are getting more money...done deal....

Fact is, the PAC 12 may never have a Big10/SEC television deal, not sure fans on the West Coast are ever going to be as fanatical as those in the Midwest/South/Southwest....but they are going to get paid all the same.

The big winner.... UTAH!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-17-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
My point is, Utah could have potentially joined the new Big 12, which in the end will have a better TV contract than the Pac 10. I have read that they are interested in Air Force and BYU, but my feeling is they would have jumped on Utah.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
My point is, Utah could have potentially joined the new Big 12, which in the end will have a better TV contract than the Pac 10. I have read that they are interested in Air Force and BYU, but my feeling is they would have jumped on Utah.
AFAIK, Utah hasn't even been sniffed by the BIG XII.....not even a sniff. I trust that if they had interest, they would have made that known ASAP.

In the end, the BIG XII was not looking at Utah and Utah when where they were invited....
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
First of all, to all the Pac 10 fans, thank you for taking the Buffies! If you have the balls to head east to a game in Boulder, you will love their hospitality.

As far as the Big 12 imploding, I really don't see that happening in the next year or two. I think the Big 12 is on solid ground until at least 2016. Heck, us smaller schools gave Texas so much, I don't know why they would want to leave.

I could have seen the Big 12 going after Utah for the SLC market. I know there was a lot of Utah, Boise, Colorado State, etc. talk on our message boards last week during the doomsday days.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Another bonus......will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the opportunity to destination travel to LA, Nor Cal, Seattle & Phoenix.... The only destination travel spot that appealed to me in the Big XII is Austin.....

Announced today, Utah starts their PAC athletic schedule in the 2011-12 school year.....
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Latest reports are that Jerry Jones and the Big 12 are courting ND and Arkansas to keep the Champ game. Wouldn't that be a change of fortune, go from the brink of extinction to having Notre Dame and a Super Conference. ND might be interested if they could have their own TV network and a conference partnership.

E.J., come on, Ames, IA is beautiful in the fall.

In all seriousness, I'd rather take roadtrips to college towns like Ames, Manhattan, and Lawrence than deal with LA though.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2010, 2:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
In all seriousness, I'd rather take roadtrips to college towns like Ames, Manhattan, and Lawrence than deal with LA though.
Nice thing about LA.... Could take the family down, see the Utes play, take the Little Man to an Avs game against the Kings or Ducks and Michelle could take the Little One to Disney(I'll never go again)..... 4 day weekend and everyone gets to play....

Hell, same thing....minus Disney....for Denver, Phoenix, San Jose and a small drive to Vancouver.... I can get in an NHL game for the weekend double following the Utes through the PAC.....
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-17-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
...and THAT is why it would be stupid to think the Pac 10 will get a TV contract as large as the SEC or Big 10. There's too much non-football stuff happening on Saturdays. So I certainly didn't mean to compare the Pac 10 contract to the Big 10/SEC contracts...just sayin that it would be more in line with what it "should be" compared to what it was. And after watching Larry Scott nearly steal away everything that's worthwhile from the Big XII, I have faith that he'll do well.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_a View Post
...and THAT is why it would be stupid to think the Pac 10 will get a TV contract as large as the SEC or Big 10. There's too much non-football stuff happening on Saturdays. So I certainly didn't mean to compare the Pac 10 contract to the Big 10/SEC contracts...just sayin that it would be more in line with what it "should be" compared to what it was. And after watching Larry Scott nearly steal away everything that's worthwhile from the Big XII, I have faith that he'll do well.
BINGO... They will be paid... But it is going to be relative to the west coast....adn I am okay with that.......

Being a have not before....I am VERY okay with that.....
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-20-2010, 1:58 AM Reply   
I don't see the Big 12 imploding or losing in all this. CU hasn't really brought much to the table in recent years, as well as Nebraska. Yes, Nebraska's football program has been improving, but it hasn't contributed recently like other teams in the Big 12. Doesn't look like the Big 12 is going after any teams in the near future and it will retain the name Big 12.

Losing Nebraska and CU will mean more money for the remaining 10 teams. The strongest programs of the Big 12 still remain IN the Big 12. Good luck to Nebraska and CU, but I think they'll have a rude awakening soon enough once they see their place in their new conferences.