Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-17-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
I know everyone's first answer will be " go demo and find out for yourself". Which I will do, I want to here from people that have ridden both boats. I don't surf so don't really care about the switch system.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-17-2014, 10:46 AM Reply   
My friend had a 06 Xstar, At the time, that boat was unreal, the quality and fit and finish. That was back when I wakeboared, and I will tell you, that for wakeboarding you will be happy but I wouldn't want to pay so much money for a used boat. Newer MBs have some very high quality stuff, and you would not be disappointed on the wakeboard wake. Have you thought about Axis the 2015s look badass...and I'm a MB owner.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-17-2014, 11:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
My friend had a 06 Xstar, At the time, that boat was unreal, the quality and fit and finish. That was back when I wakeboared, and I will tell you, that for wakeboarding you will be happy but I wouldn't want to pay so much money for a used boat. Newer MBs have some very high quality stuff, and you would not be disappointed on the wakeboard wake. Have you thought about Axis the 2015s look badass...and I'm a MB owner.
I currently own a 06 star and love it but my wheels are always spinnin. Was just wondering how the MB stacks up from those who have had experience with both boats.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-17-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
MB wakes generally (I haven't been behind an F22 yet) are more vert / less transition. More akin to an early nautique 210 wake than a mellower rampier wake.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-17-2014, 12:32 PM Reply   
you'd love it. buy my '14 https://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=44261
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-17-2014, 5:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
Shawndoggy is right that out of the box with full ballast the MB wake is nice and steep. That being said, throw a little weight in the nose, and it mellows out and gets a nice ramp with a longer transition. The F22 is a great boat, and Ian's 2014 is sharp on the water. Honestly, I have yet to ride a wake I like better than the MB wake. It's big and clean right out of the box, and I'm able to ride at 21.5 mph.

For what it's worth, I got a chance to ride an X25 this summer (which I really liked) within a short period of time of getting behind the F22, and I preferred the F22.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-17-2014, 7:01 PM Reply   
I ride behind a 06 star occasionally and can tell u that I want a f22 for the wake it throws! I want one bad. Now I'll be honest to me the f22 does have some shortcomings, I'm still not sure I like the towers, the graphics aren't all that and while they say the vinyl is top notch it just had a certain look to it. Glove box and other details are cheap feeling. Not as refined as say a MC or Nautique is. It's better to me than a axis for sure about the same as a Bu. But it's got a great price point. What I'm struggling with is do I buy a new F22 or keep my 08 SAN. While I'd love to have a G no way can I swallow spending $110k+. Someone mentioned a x25 also, great layout boat and quality but wake is somewhat a take it or leave it style. Lots of mention of this on the boards.
I haven't driven a '15 with the raptor motor but it sure sounds sweet and with 2800lbs factor ballast how can u go wrong!
Old     (aussieboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-18-2014, 2:24 AM Reply   
I regularly ride behind an 08 xstar, and a 2014 f22. I personally own an f21 tomcat.

The f22 wake is big and steep. But its not unrideable steep. Just takes getting use to the immense amount of pop off the wake. Where as the xstar wake is quite mellow with long transitions.

These wakes are completely different, No matter how you weight either boat they are never going to be close. But after riding mb wakes for quite some time now, I prefer the steep wakes with great pop.

To compare the size of wakes, the xstar would have to have 3000 pounds of ballast where as the mb would only need the stock ballast which is around 1800 pounds.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-18-2014, 5:55 AM Reply   
Comparing an MB to a Malibu in terms of overall fit and finish? You must be joking.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-18-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Comparing an MB to a Malibu in terms of overall fit and finish? You must be joking.

Not joking at all. Every bu I've ever been in looks great from 10ft away very pretty. Attractive boats, brings them lots of new buyers.
Old     (Throwaway1)      Join Date: Nov 2013       09-18-2014, 7:11 AM Reply   
Sorry to vere off topic...
I would put up fit and finish on an MB ALL day to a Malibu. The level of craftsmanship is nicer than the malibu period.
Bells and whistles, Malibu absolutely wins out, but not fit and finish

Quote:
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-18-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
you will happy, I can almost guarantee it

I wish you were around Socal, I would give you a demo on my 21 Tomcat, my wake will blow your mind. You may even get hurt Roll out to Yuma and you can ride with me. Do you know Ahren Benziger? He has a 15 23 B52. He may be able to find you a ride locally.

Why dont you get a new Xstar for $130K or just get the F22 for $65K tough decision right there guy.

Good luck with your purchase, and bring a sac for the bow when you demo, even though you may not need it.

Last edited by slipknot; 09-18-2014 at 7:53 AM. Reason: fun
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-18-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
Respectfully disagree on the MB > Malibu fit and finish opinion.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-18-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
you will happy, I can almost guarantee it

I wish you were around Socal, I would give you a demo on my 21 Tomcat, my wake will blow your mind. You may even get hurt Roll out to Yuma and you can ride with me. Do you know Ahren Benziger? He has a 15 23 B52. He may be able to find you a ride locally.

Why dont you get a new Xstar for $130K or just get the F22 for $65K tough decision right there guy.

Good luck with your purchase, and bring a sac for the bow when you demo, even though you may not need it.
Ya I know Ahren, I'm always down at Action with the guys. His new boat is sic! I haven't been able to get behind it yet though. I crawled all around a couple of the 2015 22 cats and was impressed.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-18-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
Respectfully we know, you already said it once, are you going to say it three times, send him a pm and you can argue your brains out in email or in court. Jesus, this is about 06 xstar wake vs F22 wake or isnt it? You tell me chief. Stick to the original thread topic or send the guy pm you disagree with, how does that sound. This topic has been beat to death, I really dont see why you continue you to beat this dead horse. THE FIT AND FINISH ON THE MALIBU IS BETTER THAN THE MB. ok chatty? You win, case closed son.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-18-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
Awesome!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-18-2014, 11:04 AM Reply   
Wow slipknot, why so aggressive. What's wrong with alittle debate? Part of being happy with a MB might be having to settle that some things on the MB aren't as nice and are indeed cheaper than on other boats. I know specifically the OP compared to a MC but still discussion is discussion.

Like I've said wake wise the OP will be thrilled! Build wise and function wise maybe he won't be.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-18-2014, 12:53 PM Reply   
Nordic, pretty simple, its not a debate its a pissing match, about someone who knows more than an another trying to one up the other with their vast knowledge. I am just raisin with Chatty. Hell he's owned 10 boats in 7 years. Anyone who has a clue just simply knows about the interiors of BUs is top notch and there is no comparison, secondly its not the topic, and thirdly the two should not be compared. It has been said time and time again these boards have gone to crap, its just the truth is all. Dude my 130K boat throws a better wake than your 80K boat, why because I paid more dude. And I have lighted cup holders and Vossen wheels on my trailer, you got aluminum nuggets. Respectfully beat it to death. Chatty knows wtf he is talking about is all. Just tiresome reading the same old story of someone trying to challenge him and they dont know wtf they are talking about. Flame on kids. And these are discussion boards not crap on each other boards.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-18-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Respectfully disagree on the MB > Malibu fit and finish opinion.
Chatt, have you been in a MB? The dealer I bought mine from is a Malibu/MB, and I would argue the quality...crawled around in both quite a bit. people aren't "making this stuff up" I promise.
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-18-2014, 4:28 PM Reply   
I think you would be floored with the MB fit and finish as well as the wake!
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-18-2014, 7:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwakeYO View Post
I think you would be floored with the MB fit and finish as well as the wake!
you need to get me out Ahren!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-18-2014, 7:46 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800104

I bet the wake is awesome. I'm a fan of peaky wakes. But you decide if you like the fit and finish of the vinyl in the boat in the thread I attached. My families 99 Tige makes the inability to perform symmetric vinyl patterns and wrinkle free upholstery of this brand new 65-70k MB boat look Busch league. That is all. Just an opinion. Don't see this stuff in my buddies Malibu or any of the Nautiques or Mastercrafts I've ever been on either in the past 20 years.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-19-2014, 3:53 AM Reply   
^^^ this is a good example of what I'm talking about. No doubt the interior design looks great! It's just the little things that are off that I just don't remember seeing in the bu's I've owned or that I ride in.

Hate- for the record, I wasn't the one who raises this topic. I responded to something another person posted.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-19-2014, 6:46 AM Reply   
Keep in mind he is going from an 06 x star vinyl while nice was nothing special.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-19-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
I went from an 06 malibu vride to a 2011 MB 23. I sold the vride with 265 hours; the MB now has 320. There are a few things on the MB that were never as nice as the malibu... Unlined hull, fuses vs breakers, vinyl work not quite as well finished. That's been the case since the boat was brand new. Now at 320 hours I do have to say that the MB has really held up well. Not nearly as many creaks or groans as the malibu had with similar hours. Structurally it has been a real solid boat.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-19-2014, 7:32 AM Reply   
How do you weight your x-star currently? So we can get an idea of the wake you're used to. My limited experience with that hull is you really need a good amount of weight to give that wake some kick otherwise it's fairly mellow. The mb sports I have ridden (21 tomcat, 23wb)have a great wake but a nicely weighted 2nd gen xstar is one of my all time favorite wakes.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-19-2014, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
How do you weight your x-star currently? So we can get an idea of the wake you're used to. My limited experience with that hull is you really need a good amount of weight to give that wake some kick otherwise it's fairly mellow. The mb sports I have ridden (21 tomcat, 23wb)have a great wake but a nicely weighted 2nd gen xstar is one of my all time favorite wakes.
Sumo 600s in rear, KGB full and a flyhigh 750 up in the walkway as far forward as possible. I only use the stock 250 hard tanks to balance things out if needed since those are basically in the middle of the boat. I run a 14.75x13 oj prop. MCX 350
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-19-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
I've had the star for 2 yrs. I had a 05 x2 for 5 years and before that I had a sanger v210 for 5 years.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevev210 View Post
I've had the star for 2 yrs. I had a 05 x2 for 5 years and before that I had a sanger v210 for 5 years.

Steve u will love the wake. Plus when u come off plane or turn to get your rider u really won't have to worry about rollers coming over your stern or bow! Another plus!

No what concerns me more is depreciation. If u hang on to your star for 3 yrs cost u minimal money. How much value is that MB gonna lose? Who knows???? Maybe hardly anything the way boat prices are going.