Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I've got a job interview coming up in Jackson pretty soon and was curious about the wakeboarding scene down there, as well as where to feel safe in a hotel for a weekend. I'll rent for atleast the first few months so does anybody know of places that I can keep my boat, either to store it, or on the rental property?

thanks guys,
Cody Kauzlarich
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-08-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
Wakeboard scene isn't much down here man. I'm in Alabama and it's definitely growing, just isn't big. I personally can not stand Jackson. I don't think it's the city.... it's just the drive to get there. I hate stinking Hwy 49.

The good new would be... your riding season would be extended! You would also have all the water to yourself... because what what temp you call normal, we call just stupid cold! lol

What line of work are you in?
I hope you interview goes well!
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-08-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
Cody, there's a few of us down here, but its not huge. On the bright side,you can find good water on the river any day of the week, and that includes weekends. If you really need, I can talk w/ my folks about storage, just send me a pm
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-08-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
now that's what I call a hook up! way to step in Steven and help a brotha out!

It's the same here... good water pretty much any time you go out... unless a storm is commin in and windy. It's all fishermen...
Old     (overstreet31)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-08-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
Im about an hour north of Jackson and the scene is definitely growing. I'm a skater and do mostly winching so if you're ever up for a road trip let me know. My brother lives in Madison and that's a few miles north of Jackson but most definitely a nicer part of the metro area. Let me know if you would like more info about the surrounding area and good places to reside. I know the area pretty well. Depends on where the job is really. Good luck with the interview
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2009, 5:21 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Coming from Iowa, even though I live 10 minutes from a 15,000 acre, I still probably only know 10 people that can go wake to wake. Needless to say the scene isn't huge here either. I have one other friend with a boat and can only rely on about 3 people to drive. I'm a paramedic and interviewing with American Medical Response, and I'll be working 12 hour shifts or longer so I don't mind driving some to get there. Thanks Steven, I'm just worried about leaving my baby parked out in the lot at an apartment complex.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-09-2009, 5:34 AM Reply   
Cody,

You can find storage somewhere. You will just have to either Google it or look in the yellow pages when you get there.
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-09-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Cody, send me a pm, I'll find out what your looking for storage wise and price wise and see if i can get you some info from the places down here.

Depending on how much you make and your price range as far as housing goes i can make a few recomendations on apartments and places to look into houses. Also have a family friend of my moms whom is a realtor.

As far as driving goes, furthest you'll need to to would be maybe 40 minutes and thats if traffic sucks lol to the place you'll most likely want to put in. When you get down this way I can take you around and show you where some of the stuff is and where the best ramps are lol(since thats actually the most important thing).

There's alot of people who wakeboard here, just not all at the same time. I'm one of those whom can't go wake to wake yet, but I'm getting there. Just recently got my first pull behind a towboat and that made a huge difference in how the wake felt.
Old     (photoshop)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-09-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
There is a core group of guys that can throw it down in Mississippi. The mens 2 world champ for 07 live there and an old pro that is a buddy of mine lives in Biloxi. These guys are awesome to hang out with too.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-09-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
I think a guy that I ride with here in Mobile rides with the guy you ride with in Biloxi. He has mentioned about riding over there with someone.
Old     (mississippiwake)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-09-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
I live in Jackson and were still riding. I live by the rez so let me know if you need any help. There is a ton of storage out here that you can rent by the month. They have slips available on the water as well that you can rent by the month. Send me a pm if you need anything!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-09-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Cody,one thing you'll quickly notice is that the cost of living is extremely lower here than just about anywhere else haha. Everything from gas, to housing its alot cheaper here.

you'll definitely like the riding in MS if you get in with the right groups. I love my crew, and you are more than welcome to come out with us anytime. We ride ALL the time, my boat stays on a lift on the river (which is where it is ALWAYS butter!). We ride a lot after work on the weekdays mainly. The guy Jeff is talking about, the Mens 2 world champ, is one of my really good friends. Me and him ride about 4 times a week so you are more than welcome to come out with us. Jeff, you are talking about Zack, right?

Steven came out with us last week, even though it was kind of a chilly day, I do believe we got him to land his first w2w!

As far as where to store your boat. I wouldn't leave it in a slip, but rather a storage unit or something. Mainly because the places with slips are on the reservoir, not the river. And the best riding is on the River. when are you coming down this way? Let me know and we can take ya out or show you around, Help you find a place or whatever you need. If you get down here and don't have a place to keep your boat, don't fret. You are more than welcome to keep your boat at my house, until you find a place. I think Steven can attest to it being a safe enough place haha, (what do you think steven?)

PM me if you need anything man.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-09-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
Oh yea, as far as where to stay for your interview. I'd stay around the Dogwood area or Flowood (same thing). plenty of places to eat and everything, very safe, very nice, plenty of hotels, and about 15 mins from jackson, right down the road from the airport too.
Old     (photoshop)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-09-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Yep, He is a great guy, Is this Brad?Also Nathat S is the guy from Biloxi I was talkin about
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-09-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Jeff, nah, this is Brant. Brad rides with us too though, its usually me, him and Zack. Nathan is awesome. He was suppose to come up a couple of weeks ago but never made it. I think he just got a new boat so we were looking forward to checkin it out, but the weather was bad. Crazy who you might meet on wakeworld haha.
Old     (photoshop)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-09-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I know it. Shelby Daniel and I photographed Zaks wedding up there last year so we may know each other from that.
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-09-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
As far as safe places go, You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer fenced in area so close to the ramps than where brant's boat is lol, Its about 5 minutes from his house to the best ramps on the river/rez.

Brant make the rain stop i'm ready to ride again lol and its actually been somewhat descent air temps lately, just the stupid rain.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-09-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
Yea, we just need a few sunny days. I think next week we are suppose to see the sun for a bit. We had a last minute decision to get a run in yesterday. Water was 73, but felt colder haha. Heater tops were just fine though.

Cody, when are you coming for your interview? We can take ya out when you come for that.
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-09-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
brant you should have called me lol, I've been bored out of my mind and dying to get back out on behind a boat. Only prob is if zach has to do too much more coaching, I feel like i'll need to pay him and pay you more lol

(Message edited by breazy on October 09, 2009)
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Hey everybody, thanks for everything so far. It looks like its going to be like 2 weeks before I can make it down there, and sippi if I could make it out with you guys that would be awesome. Winter came quick this year and I don't think I'm going to get another chance to ride in Iowa. And heater tops? 73 will feel like I'm in the bahamas.
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-09-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
haha 73 is a little cold for some of us tropical people lol
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-10-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Steven, sorry about that. It really was just a last min decision. We'll go at the beginning of the week and I'll let you know.

Cody, glad to hear you'll be comin soon. Just let me know when you find out a date and we'll get out there. We got everything you'd need so don't worry about that.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
Cody
Try Harbor Pines storage on Lake Harbor Drive. Covered/locked available. had mine there for last 2 years. I am in process of moving from Jxn area to NY...but Rez early am, River, and Eagle lake are my faves to ride. Eagle lake is just north of vicksburg...Awesome place to ride. Let Sippi show you around. He knows the ropes.. coming from Iowa, you'll think you are coming at Iowa SUmmertime... We rode in Dec and Feb. last year in dry suits.....good luck with the move
Old     (mississippiwake)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-12-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Do we leave in Seattle now??? Somebody make the rain stop!
Old     (mississippiwake)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-12-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
live*
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-19-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
Sippi, are we on for this week?
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-20-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
Yea man, I'm gonna try to get some of the boys out for Wednesday but zacks in Hawaii right now. But either way it'll be fun, suppose to be 80 and sunny! Steven your welcome To come too. I'll hit you up.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-20-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
Oh yea, I'll hit you up too Nathan. I can go all day Wednesday if yall want.
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-20-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
yeah i'm down for wed, just send me a message and lemme know the time. Hopefully the current has calmed down some some, the lower river below the spillway is still way high lol
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-20-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Yea but it's not flooded yet haha. I'm gonna take Cody around town tomorrow after his interview then we are goin ridin. So I'll holler at you when we are headed up.
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-20-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
Brant hit me up if your in the Crossgates/Brandon area, If Cody is looking for an apartment, ours sometimes has a deal where if I refer someone I get x amount of money, If he moves in where I am, That money either goes 50/50 to him or 100% to him from me lol. All depending on him
Old     (breazy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-23-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Yo, Did you make it back in one piece Cody?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
H20... What lake are ya'll on thats usually good water with only a few fishermen? Because I'm coming to visit My crew (ALWake.com) shreds Lake Martin and that shi* is BEAT! We ride weekdays and sunrise/sunset weekend sets and still have to fight the yahoos.

I will say October has been rad though. Lots of butter since everybody's watchin' football.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Hey Luker....

Google this in the google maps.... 368 Laurel Dr
Satsuma, AL 36572.

There has been these stupid kids in an older MC that will cut you off in a heart beat... There is also a Malibu.... and Chris Skinner lives right around from the boat launch... he is pretty friggin awesome.

If you looking to come down sometime soon... i doubt there will be anyone on the water boarding/tubing..... We hate cold water man... Let me know when you guys are down....
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Chris has an 96 MC that he sacks out where you cant even walk... and I have a X2.... I'm not that good... but like to try and have fun at it....
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
Maybe a few of my crew would be down to head to Pensacola if a storm brews up and throws some surf in the Gulf... we could stop by and shred for an afternoon or something.

Your place looks buttery... narrow with lots of tree line to help with the wind. You got water year round... i.e. keep your boats out all year?

If you make it up to Montgomery let me know. We're always down to take new folks out.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
The water is pretty good. Sometimes it gets a little stirred up from afternoon winds. It's a bayou.... water looks like tea... and occasionally see an alligator. I don't ride during the winter... but my boat is always ready to go during the winter... I don't winterize it or anything. No need down here.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-23-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Luker, we ride the Pearl River in Brandon, MS. If you google map it you'll see the ross barnett reservoir and then off of it it goes North into the river (well the river flows into the rez but you know what i mean). Its always butter except on Saturdays in the summer, and right now just to let you know. We went out this past Wednesday and i think i saw 2 fishermen and that was the only two boats i saw on the whole river. And it was sooo butter. If you've seen Innuendo, the parts that were filmed in Brandon, MS or whatever it says behind that blue and white vlx, that is where we ride. That's actually a friend of ours and all the guys in my crew were with all of them for it. Alex sold that Bu but we still got boats and are always shreddin. you're more than welcome anytime. I don't know how far it is, but if you're ever around this way or just wanna get some good ridin in hit me up. We'll have to get Cody to post the pics he took from Wednesday. He kept sayin he had to get some pics because his boys weren't gonna believe the butter. haha.