Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       02-23-2015, 4:28 AM Reply   
I currently shoot a Canon 40D/grip combo with a 70-200L IS f/2.8 for water sports. I'd like to upgrade, but as always, money isn't pouring out my rear. My base settings for behind the boat shots include center focus lock, Aperture priority and AI Servo. I almost always shoot f/2.8 with the 70-200. Besides the behind the boat shots, my other main uses are my kids soccer and football. Hopefully I'll be able to add the 100-400L to the mix at some point to get better reach for the field sports. I was hoping someone here that shoots water sports could chime in on the 2 cameras mentioned above. I have always put a grip on my bodies so if i went with the 7D, I would add the Canon grip. They seem fairly comparable in some aspects. I don't crop a ton or print huge blow ups so I'm not sure the extra pixels of the 7D would make that much difference. Now that both these cameras are "used" they are similar in price on CL, etc. Any thoughts on these cameras for water sports would be appreciated.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-27-2015, 5:12 PM Reply   
I have a 7D and love it. I also have the grip and no longer use it because the camera seems to hate it. If you buy a 7D I'll give you a deal on the grip.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       03-03-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
If they are at about the same price I'd fall in the camp of the 1D for wakeboarding and boating shots that extra couple shots per second can be really fun to play with. Though it is a nightmare for storage on your computer... haha. I can't imagine you'd see a huge difference between the two for the kids sports, The bigger difference would prolly fall under which lens you would use more than anything. That being said I'm just a noob in photography and really just starting to get into it.
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       03-03-2015, 6:26 PM Reply   
the 1d is a different sensor size camera and the 7d. 1.3x vs 1.6, so you are not going to get the same effective field of view that you are used to with your 4od vs the 1d. 7d will give you the sameeffective field of view. That being said, I would go with the 1d. Fully weather sealed vs weather resistant with the 7d and better af and frames per second.

Last edited by Dman726749; 03-03-2015 at 6:28 PM.