Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Dominus)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-27-2017, 5:15 AM Reply   
Hey guys and girls!

So, I haven't wakeboarded for about 12 years since I was a teenager, until recently that is. I went to the local cable park (never done cable before) a few weeks ago and immediately fell in love. I've been for the past two weeks in a row, and I plan on becoming a regular at the local park soon enough.

I really want to buy a board now, and would appreciate a bit of advice. I'm a bigger guy at 93kg (~205lb) and 6ft tall, so I was thinking I need to be looking at 140cm+ (55"+) cable park boards? Are the hybrids any good for park only use?

The thing is, everything here in Australia is super expensive and a new board and bindings could easily cost $1k+. As I'm still starting out this is just out of the question, so I was thinking I would buy used to begin with.

Right now I have the option between an as new 2016 Liquid Force Shane Dose 145, which I will have to source bindings for. The other option is a Liquid Force Watson 143 with bindings included (Not sure exactly which). Is there any of these two boards that would suit my needs better? Will I be making a mistake by buying a hybrid instead of a park only Slingshot Reflex, for example?

Would love to hear some feedback from more experienced riders. Keep in mind I am buying used so I will have to take whats available or be patient.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-27-2017, 5:44 AM Reply   
You won't be happy long-term with either of those boards. The Dose is essentially the same as the Watson. I would go with a dedicated cable board. Slingshots are hard to beat.
Old     (Dominus)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-27-2017, 7:09 AM Reply   
Thanks mate, guess I will have to be a bit more patient, or consider importing or something.
Old     (Dominus)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-27-2017, 3:07 PM Reply   
My other two options are the Slingshot Recoil 142cm or the Humanoid Huxtable 142cm. They both also seem like hybrid boards though.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-27-2017, 6:06 PM Reply   
Anything that doesn't have a grind base will be destroyed in a matter of months once you start hitting stuff. Do they have anything like Craigslist there? Even a cheap used boat board would probably be good for ramping up and would give you a few months to find the right cable board. IMO 142 would be the minimum. I'm 5-7, 145 and have both a 138 and 142 Jobe Conflict that I ride on the cable. I really only like he 138 better for air tricks.
Old     (Dominus)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-28-2017, 1:53 AM Reply   
Hi John, thanks for the advice. Yes, we have Gumtree which is exactly like Craig's List, as far as I know. Been looking on there and on eBay. Every time I find something I like, I cannot find enough information on the product to warrant spending $4-500 without knowing much about the board.

I am actually surprised at the lack of information available to new comers regarding board choices (unless I missed a big article somehow?). Most of the big brand websites dont even specify when a board is boat or cable specific. Very frustrating for someone new to the sport looking to purchase gear!

What is your take on hybrid boards, John?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2017, 5:41 AM Reply   
I'm really not sure what a hybrid board is. Jobe advertises the Conflict as a boat and cable board. But IMO it's a cable board. Just make sure that it has a grind base. Unfortunately you have to ride a board to know if it's right for you. So if you could get a cheap throwaway board to use on the cable. You could start checking out what other people are riding and maybe even take their board for a spin.

I think the info is hard to come by because the board makers want you think their boards are good for everything. I bought a CTRL RX that claimed to have a durable base (but didn't claim grind) and it was destroyed in 4 months. The features are hard on boards. Even my Witness Grind had it's molded fins smashed from hitting a flat ramp.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-28-2017, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
My other two options are the Slingshot Recoil 142cm or the Humanoid Huxtable 142cm. They both also seem like hybrid boards though.
they are both good cable boards actually. I rode a Recoil on cable for around 3 years. Never rode a Huxtable, but it's a plenty capable cable board.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-28-2017, 7:49 AM Reply   
There is no such thing as a Hybrid. It's just a term that Liquid Force made up to sell more wakeboards.

There are certainly wakeboards out there that can crossover from boat to cable. The Recoil is one them that ACTUALLY do both well. I rode a recoil behind boat and cable for a while. It's better suited to cable in my opinion.

The Watson Hybrid is a boat board first, cable board second. Whereas, the Recoil is a cable board first, boat board second.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
You'll probably hate me for saying this, but there's a Slingshot Recoil 146 in decent shape on the Orlando craigslist for $50 OBO.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-28-2017, 11:10 AM Reply   
I took a long break from wakeboarding and came back riding cable a couple of years ago. Last year, I got a boat for the first time in a long time. I'll also jump on the Recoil bandwagon. It's my primary board now and I really like it for both cable and boat.
Old     (Dominus)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-28-2017, 10:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips! That's cheap as chips John, wish I was living in the states!

As much as I want the Recoil, the seller does not seem to want to budge on the price - $250 for a never used 2014 model, board only. They cost around $440 new around here for a 2016/17 model. I guess what he/she wants is fair, I just feel like there's better deals out there. I can get a brand new Humanoid Huxtable for the same price, and the graphics looks slightly better too.

There's a CWB Vibe with CWB Prizm boots going on bid now, brand new, so I guess I will see what happens with that. Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Dominus; 04-28-2017 at 10:08 PM.