Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-16-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
Just thought I would share on the WW forum my feedback from a recent surf session on the Super Air Nautique G23. I've always had the impression that Nautiqe builds good quality boats, but have never given them a serious look due to the fact that none of the models (that I have experienced) have demonstrated a solid surf wake. I had heard that the G23 was different in this regard, so I went to spend some time with my local dealer who was kind enough to take me out for a surf session with their demo model. I currently own a Tige RZ2, which throws a really solid surf wake and meets our needs quite well, but I'm always interested in new product.

Anyway, first impression of the G23 is that it is a lot of boat. Large in scale, and gobs of interior room. The new flooring they have used is really interesting, comfortable on the feet and looks like teak. The quality of the workmanship on the boat is top notch, in every detail. One thing that seemed a bit strange to me was how low the bimini top sits, you have to duck under it to avoid hitting your head (unless you are really short). The bimini itself is really functional, with integrated surf pockets for 3 boards on top, and provides mega shade. Part of the reason it shades so well is the fact that it is lower. When running, I appreciated the amount of shade, but still wonder about the height. Storage is insane on this boat. The area under the port side dash is humungous, and could literally be large enough for a head. Could throw tons of stuff in there, including boards, gear, whatever.

Enough about the boat details, and onto the surf. Before we filled the ballast tanks, I opened up the rear lockers and saw no bags. That was going to be a problem, or so I thought. The dealer explained to me that the boat comes stock with 2800 pounds of in-floor ballast hard tanks (950 in each rear corner), and that the boat "doesn't really need aftermarket bags". I thought, "sure it doesn't". The dealer set me up for starboard/goofy surf, and filled the rear starboard tank 100% (905-lbs), and filled the mid-ship tank 5/8ths full (I'm guessing about 550-lbs roughly). Fill time was pretty normal, not too bad, can't remember exactly how long. Set the speed at 11.8 mph, and got started. Once up, I noticed that the wake formed quite early and the boat stabilized quickly. The wake it produced was clean, with a nice lip, and nice transition shape. The wake had a nice long pocket. I was really impressed with how easily out of the box this boat produced a really nice surf wake.

Coupld of additional details I noticed while surfing. First the swim platform is nicely shaped to avoid cutting into the wake. Second, the freeboard on the hull along the side and near the rear corners is super high. It causes the boat to look a little large in the rear, but it is super functional from a safety standpoint, and also from a ballasting standpoint. The dealer told me that they recently built a G23 for a customer with additional 1000-lb bags in each rear locker, and the freeboard comes in really handy when adding the extra ballast.

My question for anyone here, has anyone surfed the G23 with a custom ballast? I think this boat has a ton of potential, and I know the Monster G23 was recently used in a pro wakesurf event.

The last thing I covered with the dealer was pricing, and I was literally shocked when he told me. The boat we were testing had a sticker of about $140K! Whoa, that is steep. Not sure that the price makes sense, but the G23 is one hell of a boat.