Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-15-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
I'm also very excited to see this project get done!

I finally had a chance to get out to the farm and work on my boat. I got the tower installed. We originally planned on going with an Aerial Assault or a Krypt Pro Swoop tower, but I found a good deal on a Roswell Area 51 tower and I kindoff liked the way it looks so I went with that. I think it looks alright for an aftermarket universal tower.

[IMG]Tower2 by Rideaneversummer, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by RideaNeversummer; 04-15-2014 at 7:03 AM.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       04-15-2014, 1:37 PM Reply   
Yeah, your tower seems to follow the windshield line pretty well. Once you get a few boards in racks on there it'll look even better.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-01-2014, 8:11 PM Reply   
Captains seat:

Before-

During:
-

After-

Added to the pedestal base for a more comfortable sitting position and also added a flip up bolster because it seemed like a good idea.

Luckily I was able to rehab and re-use the swivel/slide mechanism. It was seized up and a greasy mess, but some thorough cleaning and tightening of fasteners did it wonders and saved me $100.

The H in the seat back is intended to compliment the similar design of the back bench seat.

Tomorrow i begin to re-cover the dash. That will be the most challenging piece of the whole project. I promised the fam that we'd be on the water this month so it's time to get busy!!
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       05-02-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
Glad to see this project is still alive and kicking. The seats are coming along nicely, and that captain's chair turned out great, especially with adding the flip up bolster. How much to you have left to do?

Also, I think you and bigsie are neck and neck for the "most badass rebuild thread on WW" thread. If you had split your hulls like he did then you'd own that crown right now lol.
Old     (ReneR)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-03-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
Wow that captain seat as well as everything else looks incredible. Where did you source the pedestal platform and flip up bolster from? Was it hard to adapt it to a seat that didn't originally have one?
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-03-2014, 1:13 PM Reply   
^^ I re used my old pedestal, but added several layers of 3/4" PVC board to elevate it from its original low height.

The flip up bolster hardware was an $20 eBay purchase. New old stock from some warehouse. Converting it to flip up was easy.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-05-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
Dash done.

Old

NEW! By far the hardest component of the interior because of the multiple curves and recesses. Factory was probably made with 4 way stretch vinyl and a vacuum press. Two was stretch and brute force got this done.... Along with a lot of careful measuring and test fitting. I'm down to the very end of my vinyl material too. No room for errors. Glad to have this piece done.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-05-2014, 5:27 PM Reply   
That looks great. I'm really digging the tow tone.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
dood! can you make me one?
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-19-2014, 10:53 PM Reply   
Pulled the interior so could finish up the re-wiring and plumbing the balast. Speakers are installed and I made an amp rack.

A small bit of bad news. My steering wheel got ruined over the winter. Is was carelessly stored and it's real wood core got wet and then froze. Half the resin finish cracked and broke off. Shopping for a new steering wheel now.

Also installed LED strip lighting inside the compartments, under the seats and up under the gunnels. Can't wait to put all the pieces together..
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-19-2014, 10:55 PM Reply   
wiring mess. So sick of shrink tube and butt connectors.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-19-2014, 11:40 PM Reply   
If you think you're tired of shrink tube and butt connectors, imagine soldering them all.
As far as the steering wheel, you have a whole world of options. On our family's boat, it had one of the old metal and wood old school steering wheels. On one of the many facelifts we gave it over the years, we swapped it out to a Grant racing automotive steering wheel and gave it a custom paint job. It has held up pretty good over the years, but we put it on about 15 years ago or so and it could use replacing.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-20-2014, 6:01 AM Reply   
Awesome work, I cant wait to see your project finished.

Now, I know your main focus is getting the boat on the water, but if your anything like me, you always have a couple of projects in the back of your head. I've been reading a lot about DIY surf enhancement "surf gate" style upgrades. I'm just wondering if you ever thought about doing something like this. It seams like something like the Supra Swell system would work the best on our boat.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-20-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
I'm pretty happy with my wave shape just weighted and listed. I added FAE and am curious to see if it generates a bunch of spray. I'll add a mudflap if the spray is a problem.

The rear compartments are last on my list to finish, so I still have great access to the stern. I've been watching the DIY gate threads but haven't had any time to explore the idea. Good thinking tho.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-20-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
Drilled more hole in my boat today. Never get used to that. This time it was to add grab rail to the now. There previously was none. I took a long grab rail that used to run interior along the rear compartments and shortened it, bent the end and welded in a stud.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-20-2014, 12:06 PM Reply   
The inside of the radius wrinkled a little bit. Not bad, not perfect.

Before:

After :-)
Old     (DaveC)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-20-2014, 3:04 PM Reply   
Where did you get the parts for the flip up bolster?
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-20-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Where did you get the parts for the flip up bolster?

I think I got them here: http://greatlakesskipper.com/tracker...at-hinges-pair

Mine are grey, but the same.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-23-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
When I arrived to work on the boat this morning. It struck me funny how odd the interior of a boat looks when it's not inside a boat. Here it is all stacked along the wall of my workspace.

Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-23-2014, 10:22 PM Reply   
Awesome work thanks for sharing
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-25-2014, 3:57 AM Reply   
Got a bunch done today.
Installed the Amp and some LED lighting. Reinstalled the seat bases and installed the helm.
Installed the heater.
Wired in the batteries in their new spot.
Hooked up the blue tooth. Boy is that going to be nice!!
Fueled it up and made sure it ran, prior to installing the seats. I altered the gas tank so I needed to be sure it didn't leak. Everything checked out. No mechanical issues.
Installed the helm and new steering wheel.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-26-2014, 6:57 PM Reply   
It looks like your getting close.

I tried to take mine out this weekend, but when I dropped it in the water it wouldn't start. I posted something about it on the forum, so hopefully someone will be able to help me figure it out. Can't wait to get out and ride. The thread I started is here: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...45#post1878545
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-26-2014, 8:39 PM Reply   
On the water today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So pumped!!!! I have several things left to do, but we are together enough to go play. It was a beautiful day. I had 2 minor problems, but all in all it was a great time. One trim tab wasn't working, which was easily solved when I found the connectors that popped off the back of the switch. And the other was a buggered prop. I cut the guide posts off the trailer when I was doing the wrap. I hadn't got around to welding them back on and when we were loading the boat to come home the prop tangled with a bunk on the trailer. I needed a visit to the prop shop anyway so no big loss. I have a spare.

Anyways, here's some pics:

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/27/eba4ana3.jpg[/IMG

Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-26-2014, 8:52 PM Reply   
More pics

Last edited by Jed; 05-26-2014 at 8:59 PM.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-26-2014, 9:30 PM Reply   
That is absolutely awesome! Fantastic job and all those smiles make that work worth it! Hands down the best restore I have seen in a long long while!
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-26-2014, 10:50 PM Reply   
My super cool wife showed me an app where I can make before and after pics. Here's a few.

Old     (shorewake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-27-2014, 4:46 AM Reply   
1 word...Awesome! This has been my favorite thread to follow. Great job man Enjoy!
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-27-2014, 4:48 AM Reply   
Awesome project, incredibly impressive.

what brand pvc sheet and what width did you go? Huge fan of how you have enclosed the bow.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-27-2014, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwake View Post
Awesome project, incredibly impressive.

what brand pvc sheet and what width did you go? Huge fan of how you have enclosed the bow.

I used both 3/4" and 1/2" expanded PVC board. Unknown brand. Sourced at Interstate Plastic, Boise ID.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-27-2014, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for that.

In terms of the bow ballast tank, how have you secured it in there?

Is the pvc easy to work with, and how did you do the corner tops? (ie the tops of the curves) I havent seen it done before so think its pretty creative you came up with that idea. Sure works well.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-27-2014, 2:38 PM Reply   
WOW! Seeing the before and after side by side really shows what a difference everything you did made. The interior is so much bigger, I love that you built a compartment for the matching cooler under the seat. This whole build has been amazing. Those big smiles out on the water make it all worth it. Good looking surf wave too
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-27-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwake View Post
Thanks for that.

In terms of the bow ballast tank, how have you secured it in there?

Is the pvc easy to work with, and how did you do the corner tops? (ie the tops of the curves) I havent seen it done before so think its pretty creative you came up with that idea. Sure works well.

Bow ballast is slid as far forward as it can go. It wedges into the taper of the bow. Then a cleat screwed to the floor at the aft end along with gravity keep it where it belongs.

I'm not sure exactly what your calling "corner tops". Here's a pic of the concept I applied to most of the corners. Cut 1/2" material into the shape you want for the top of the bend. The vertical panel is 3/4 inch material. Make partial thickness relief cuts on the inside of the bend. Use a heat gun or blow dryer to warm the outside of the bend and flex the board till it matches the shape of the 1/2" top cap. PVC cement and screw them together. Have your kid router the edges so they're not sharp. Laugh at him because he looks like a snowman....

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-27-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
wow.... excellent work

Jed wins wakeworld
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-28-2014, 5:48 AM Reply   
Love it

You sir have skills
Old     (NoNceNse)      Join Date: Nov 2013       05-28-2014, 2:18 PM Reply   
Winning!
Old     (Rich_Bruening)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-28-2014, 8:17 PM Reply   
holy vinyl skills batman! nice plushwork!
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-28-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
Amazing work man!!! Glad I read the whole way through. Is that Black Canyon? Hopefully we will see you out on the water this summer.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-28-2014, 10:16 PM Reply   
.Thanks for he kind works everyone. It was a HUGE undertaking but well worth it now that we're back on the water.

Last edited by Jed; 05-28-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-29-2014, 6:21 AM Reply   
Best thread ever
Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       05-29-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
I love it! It took major nerve to take on a project that big, but now you have it your way. Now that it is done, enjoy it! Don't do what most of us do after a big project and start second guessing yourself and wishing you had done something differently along the way. You made the best decisions at the time that you made them. Hindsight is 20/20 and you learn as you go as well. Have a great summer and it looks like your family is going to have a lot of fun!
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-29-2014, 9:41 AM Reply   
Best build I have seen on here so far. There are alot of good build threds on here but this one is on the top for sure! Great job!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-29-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
Absolutely fantastic!

Are you going to be done with this boat or move onto another one?

I would love to see what you could do with an old Super Sport.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-29-2014, 12:19 PM Reply   
Awesome
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-02-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
Added a bimini
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-02-2014, 6:23 PM Reply   
Still need to paint the dang trailer.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       08-05-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
Looks good, how is the FAE working out? Does it mess up the surf or wakeboard wake at all?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-05-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quite impressive!!!!!
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-05-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
FAE is very nice. Didn't affect the starboard wave, but the port wave is a little washy now. Haven't investigated why yet....
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       08-05-2014, 8:41 AM Reply   
That is a job well done. Congrats on the nice finish.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       08-05-2014, 9:40 AM Reply   
Nice, I forgot to ask, did you DIY your FAE, or did you buy it from FAE?
Old     (jedgar23)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-06-2014, 9:37 AM Reply   
Fantastic and Inspiring work Jed!
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-18-2014, 10:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideaNeversummer View Post
Nice, I forgot to ask, did you DIY your FAE, or did you buy it from FAE?

Bought it from FAE. It's the Y pipe designed for a certain Nautique I think. I re routed my exhaust to match the off-the-shelf FAE.
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       04-13-2023, 10:51 PM Reply   
Do you have any pictures of the finished project?
I'd love to see how it all turned out.