Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-02-2015, 6:58 AM Reply   
So social media is on fire! Cody Hesse laded a triple flip. Hopefully the video surfaces soon and they don't wait for the trick of the year.
Attached Images

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       06-02-2015, 8:04 AM Reply   
"triple flip on a waterboard" .... Is it April's fools day again?

But if he did it congrats it awesome to see people keep pushing, but wow look at that "kicker" it's more of a quarter pipe than a kicker...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-02-2015, 8:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
"triple flip on a waterboard" .... Is it April's fools day again?

But if he did it congrats it awesome to see people keep pushing, but wow look at that "kicker" it's more of a quarter pipe than a kicker...
Thats what I was thinking, more like a moto ramp! Crazy.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-02-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
yay waterboarding lol... wow this sport has gone insane.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-02-2015, 12:34 PM Reply   
Is it a wakeboard if there is no wake involved? I thought it was going to be from behind a boat. Excitement gone.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-02-2015, 1:13 PM Reply   
If you didn't know any better, Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounds pretty rad.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-03-2015, 7:18 AM Reply   
Eric, I believe that it is.

What if the first form of skateboarding just happened to be ramp or pipe, and the sport took on the name Rampboarding? A big hypothetical of course.

As new terrains were introduced to the sport, we would still be stuck with the name Rampboarding, even though ramps may not be involved. The fact is, whether it's pipe, longboarding, freestyle, street skating.....it's all skateboarding regardless of the terrain. You're riding a board with wheels.

Wakeboarding inherited a name based on the terrain where it was introduced, not know what the future would hold. If we had called it waterboarding, this question would never come up.

I'm not a cable guy defending that side of the sport. I'm a 90% boat guy.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-03-2015, 7:44 AM Reply   
He's throwing doubles all the time at OWC. From the looks of that ramp I'm not surprised that he stuck the triple. Congrats Cody! Anyone that thinks it's disappointing, I invite them to ODub to show us how easy it is.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-03-2015, 8:20 PM Reply   
Must admit I was hoping it to be behind a boat. Impressive nonetheless. Now where's that vid?!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-04-2015, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Eric, I believe that it is.

What if the first form of skateboarding just happened to be ramp or pipe, and the sport took on the name Rampboarding? A big hypothetical of course.

As new terrains were introduced to the sport, we would still be stuck with the name Rampboarding, even though ramps may not be involved. The fact is, whether it's pipe, longboarding, freestyle, street skating.....it's all skateboarding regardless of the terrain. You're riding a board with wheels.

Wakeboarding inherited a name based on the terrain where it was introduced, not know what the future would hold. If we had called it waterboarding, this question would never come up.

I'm not a cable guy defending that side of the sport. I'm a 90% boat guy.
Anybody besides me remember when Wakeskating started getting real? Thomas Horrell wanted to call it waterboarding. He didn't like the fact that the term "Skate" had been attached to the sport because they were not skating on the water, they were riding a board over the water, hence "waterboarding." Back then say circa 98-99 waterboarding was not a bad term in the sense that people didnt associate it with the interrogation/simulated drowning technique they associate it with today.

Like Jarrod I am not a cable defender. I am always more excited to see stuff landed behind the boat than of a kicker or on a cable. I ride boat 90% of the time, that said the dozen or so rides a year I get behind a cable each year I love it. I can see what it so addicting, no boat, no spotter needed, no gas burned. You can run to the cable and take a quick set or two and go home without the hassle of dealing with the boat. Not that boat riding is a hassle, but these days I rarely go out in the boat when I only have enough time for one quick pull. Hell my boat is my backyard on the lift, going out couldnt be easier for me, but it still takes 2 hours to get the boat set up take one run and put the boat away. If I had access to a cable I would ride there all the time for that reason.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-04-2015, 7:41 AM Reply   
To a certain extent, not being stoked on a triple flip off the kicker is like saying that the dude who just landed a quad on a snowboard off a purpose built kicker should not count. It's like saying that quad should not count because he didn't do it off a natural kicker in the back country landing in 4 feet of fresh powder, because back country snowboarding is the only real form snowboarding.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-04-2015, 9:23 AM Reply   
I've been riding the G21/G23 (they have both) at OWC every wed for the last 3 weeks and am hooked. I love both the boat and the cable. One nice thing about the cable besides the breadth of challenges it offers is the amount of people you hook up with as fellow enthusiasts. Quite frankly the idea of objecting to calling it wakeboarding when you are on the cable seems like a petty mentality that is rooted in some kind of insecurity.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-04-2015, 11:38 AM Reply   
Old     (mathias)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-04-2015, 11:50 AM Reply   
I love the fact that he was talking about being the first to land a tripple already two years ago!
Check the follow page: http://www.followmenow.com/team/cody-triple-hesse/
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2015, 12:38 PM Reply   
Andy, that wasn't thomas. That was kyle walton and the homeless crew. And then the oak guys. And the name change totally stuck.

as for the topic, i don't wakeboard but i respect what this guy did and how he pushes himself. And i also dig byerly's enthusiasm for it, and how he's a part of wakeboarding in a different way. The ramp really doesn't matter--eventually everything gets bigger and it requires balls and skill to do anything on it. Look at how pipes in snowboarding have changed and it's not cheating or "less than."

Also, i don't think waterboarding would ever be an acceptable name because it's a form of human torture. Changing the name doesn't change what you do.--i think you'll all be OK.

Last edited by electricsnow; 06-17-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-17-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
And thinking back, colin wright was the first guy who wrote an article suggesting a name change for wakeskating, and he wrote that in the early nauts. One of the first times the word wakeskate was in print was with bill mccaffray's article called "wakeskate" in 1998 for wakeboarding magazine.

Last edited by electricsnow; 06-17-2015 at 1:20 PM.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-17-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
my neighbor was a gymnast and compares the cable park to a trampoline vs the mat being more equal to the boat.