Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
I am about to pull the trigger on a Gopro Hero 4 silver. I was wondering what is the best cost efficient memory card to get? And how many minutes (I know that settings and what not will vary the amount) will a 64G card hold. We are going to be going on vacation and I am not wanting to take a laptop. Any suggestions and/or advice on getting started with it would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (clutchind)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-14-2015, 6:54 AM Reply   
32 g cards will hold a little over an hour when shooting 4K. If you're not taking a laptop I'd bring a memory card for each day putting a fresh one in each morning in case anything happens to your camera you've only lost one days worth of footage not an entire trips.

I've had great luck with SanDisk Extreme class 10 cards. Make sure whatever card you get is a class 10 card or else you'll experience glitches and your go pro will randomly stop recording. Formatting your memory cards when you're done shooting will help avoid this problem.

I'd recommend bringing some extra batteries, these work great, I usually travel with a minimum of 4 http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-B...+pro+4+battery

-Cheers!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-14-2015, 7:18 AM Reply   
Why not go this route?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-14-2015, 7:48 AM Reply   
Get the black..

don't worry about 4k.. you won't be shooting in it - what would you do with it? 1080p is more than enough for the vast majority of footage (and frankly, 720 is more than enough for the typical youtube clips).

cards are cheap.. watch amazon deals - you can regularly get a fast 64G card for under $30.

Get extra batteries - agree with the wasabi recommendation.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-15-2015, 8:37 AM Reply   
I have the 3+ black and it will lock up if you don't have an extremely fast card. So beware buying a cheap card. When researching my lockup problem I saw that even expensive fast cards are sometimes counterfeit and not up to snuff.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-15-2015, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I have the 3+ black and it will lock up if you don't have an extremely fast card. So beware buying a cheap card. When researching my lockup problem I saw that even expensive fast cards are sometimes counterfeit and not up to snuff.
Good point! Stick with name brands (Sandisk, Kingston, etc) and buy from legit sources (amazon)
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       05-15-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
Also re cards, make sure to erase all from the camera after transferring photos. Do not delete from the computer.

If you don't delete all from the camera the disk gets fragmented and can't keep up, no matter how fast of rating it has.

Most notably this causes "random" stops when recording and gets really bad when can't go for more than a second or two without stopping.
Old     (gekkorider08)      Join Date: May 2015       05-16-2015, 6:08 AM Reply   
does anyone know of a mount for a Hero 3, that attaches to the board? I have a suction cup but it is no good on impact.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-16-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkorider08 View Post
does anyone know of a mount for a Hero 3, that attaches to the board? I have a suction cup but it is no good on impact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lWZlm6v3o
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-16-2015, 4:25 PM Reply   
H4 needs a pretty fast card. Make sure it's one of these: https://gopro.com/support/articles/s...update-release

I shoot wakeboarding in 1080p at 120fps. At that setting, a 32GB card with hold just about an hour of footage, which is about how long the battery lasts as well. If I have to swap the battery anyway, might as well swap out the card. Two 32GB cards cost about the same as a single 64GB, so I personally prefer the 32GB card route. Also, I've lost some cards because I'm an airhead, loosing a 32GB card is better than loosing a 64GB.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-19-2015, 11:13 PM Reply   
You've had loads of technical advice regarding GoPro's and card, no point me repeating them.
However I would say you need to be very careful with how you attach the GoPro, if you use the head strap, it will come off and sink, even a w2w can be enough to dislodge it. Use a floaty and tether the camera through the metal bar in the door to your bindings / life jacket as appropriate.

Check out as many of MicBergsma tips on youtube that you can, his stuff is excellent.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-22-2015, 7:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice... I got the camera and played with it a little last weekend and hope to get more time this weekend with the holiday.