Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-21-2016, 7:53 PM Reply   
So I bought a boat from a dealership and they agreed to sell my current boat (2002 Supra Launch) on consignment. Other than the fact that they've had the boat for a month and I had to email several times to get in touch with someone...

Is it normal for a dealership to want to fix everything that is wrong with the boat? I knew there were a couple of things (front lights kept tripping breaker and a few other not critical stuff) but they want to fix everything down to replacing the horn ("because it doesn't sound good") and make a custom bow canvas bow cover ("because it might be a while before we sell it"). Grand total on repairs is $2500.

This was never mentioned to me by the sales guy when offering to sell it on consignment and its over 10% of what the boat is worth. I feel like I'm getting bent over here and I wanted to see if anyone else here is familiar with this practice.

Thanks
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-21-2016, 8:12 PM Reply   
Have them or someone detail it and take great pics. Sell it yourself. You will save that money. Craigslist is a wonderful thing.
I am all for consignment if you have a good dealer that is working for you. You have hired them to work for you. If not, pull it and do it yourself or take it somewhere else.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-22-2016, 1:26 PM Reply   
Are those repairs going to increase the value 2500.00 or just make work for the shop during the slow season? Better off selling it yourself and you will have 10% to negotiate with.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       01-23-2016, 5:24 AM Reply   
keep in mind that your boat being sold by the dealer is a representation of that dealer to the end customer. they want to present a good product to the customer and what may seem like trivial things to you might be what the dealer wants to do to ensure they maintain a good reputation in the area.

now that being said, replacing a horn is downright silly, however fuses tripping I can see.

I am with the others. go pick it up, sit on it until spring and sell yourself. in the price range you will likely be in, I'd use CL, price it a tad over and negotiate. it can be a pita to sell yourself, but you will probably pocket more coin.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-23-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
Don't forget to post it on Onlyinboards
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-24-2016, 6:56 AM Reply   
I think the dealer is more concerned with a 2500.00 repair job than his reputation .
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-24-2016, 6:57 AM Reply   
That's a strange situation. I get the fact they dealership may want a working boat with no issues , but it's NOT their boat to be forcing you to make decisions on. As someone else said do the repairs increase your value 2500? If not you got played. Had a dealership told me I need to dump 2500 in a boat just for them to list it for sale I would have walked and elsewhere(this is assuming it's all minor things). Or even possibly just dumped it to them on a trade in for the difference. There is no guarantee after dumping 2500 the boat sells through them anyways.

You're the one selling YOUR boat. They are just giving you the listing exposure. What kind of repairs we talking? If it's cosmetic or nothing to do with the drivetrain or how the boat runs you won't likely recoup the 2500. List it on onlyinboards , here, and craigslist. Adjust the price accordingly. Just strange that a place would require you to dump that kind of cash into a boat in order for them to list it.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-25-2016, 7:50 AM Reply   
I asked the question about the repairs increasing the value and the service manager told me that "he didn't price the boats" so I'm guessing that's a no.

Repairs aren't cosmetic but things like the stereo isn't wired correctly (which I haven't change since I bought it and never had an issue). Maybe the head unit and amps aren't grounded in the same place but there wasn't any detail given. Parking lights trip a fuse but to me that's more of a FYI for the buyer if they wan't to fix in the future. Mechanically its 100% and the dealer did tell me that in their inspection.

I have it posted on craigslist and onlyinboards. I've had a couple bites on it too but have referred them to the dealership that doesn't have the boat posted on their website yet. I actually have a buyer lined up that seems fairly serious about purchasing.

Think I'm going to take everyone's advise and go and pick up the boat this weekend.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-25-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
Ya man, in this day and age of CL, Only Inboards and other types of sites I wouldn't be giving 10% of my boats value to someone else just because they can have it on their lot. To me if a person is looking for a used boat I'd be looking at the sites noted above before I started looking to see what the local dealers may have.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-25-2016, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandm01 View Post
keep in mind that your boat being sold by the dealer is a representation of that dealer to the end customer. they want to present a good product to the customer and what may seem like trivial things to you might be what the dealer wants to do to ensure they maintain a good reputation in the area.

now that being said, replacing a horn is downright silly, however fuses tripping I can see.

I am with the others. go pick it up, sit on it until spring and sell yourself. in the price range you will likely be in, I'd use CL, price it a tad over and negotiate. it can be a pita to sell yourself, but you will probably pocket more coin.
This is exactly the reason.

I'm sure that if you wanted to fix those issues yourself, they would be more than happy to have you do that. But when the buyer on the other end buys the boat, they see it as buying from a dealership and they are expecting that dealership to be selling a properly sorted boat.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-25-2016, 3:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
This is exactly the reason.

I'm sure that if you wanted to fix those issues yourself, they would be more than happy to have you do that. But when the buyer on the other end buys the boat, they see it as buying from a dealership and they are expecting that dealership to be selling a properly sorted boat.
That's the thing. There was never any mention of the boat needing to be flawless in order to sell or any offer of you can get it fixed then bring it back to sell. It was a 5 minute phone call and a $2500 bill.

It's whatever now. I'm going to sell it myself. Sucks cause I did like the people at the dealership and didn't expect something like this.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-26-2016, 6:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseR720 View Post
That's the thing. There was never any mention of the boat needing to be flawless in order to sell or any offer of you can get it fixed then bring it back to sell. It was a 5 minute phone call and a $2500 bill.

It's whatever now. I'm going to sell it myself. Sucks cause I did like the people at the dealership and didn't expect something like this.
Yeah I get it, they should have told you what the expectations were.

I think what you'll find is that their typical customer is not a "DIY"er, and typically just pay them to do whatever is needed. So sometimes they may wrongly assume that you will just be OK with what they suggest is needed. If you had spoke up on the phone and told them that it was unexpected and that you'd like to try and figure something else out, I am sure that you could have come to an agreement. You need to speak up and be an advocate for yourself.

I think you'll be better off selling it yourself anyway, right now is a good time to be getting ready to list a boat for sale. I usually tell people, 1 week after the boat show in your area. Buyers will be shocked by the new boat prices and they'll be scouring craigslist for good used boats. Ride the boat show hype all the way to the bank my friend!
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-26-2016, 6:21 AM Reply   
having a working horn is a coast guard item - its law that your boat has a working built in horn or hand held one. if your navigation lights were not working, they would probably require you to fix that as well.
a cover is also a big deal. get the cover replaced and up the lowest amount you would take by $200.
as someone stated, the boat is a representation of that dealer, but 2,500 may be a little steep. i would put some money into a good detail/buff if needed and tell the dealership you are open to repairing some items if the new customer requests it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-26-2016, 10:08 AM Reply   
Dishonest dealings...they should have been upfront about your trade in boat needing 2500 in repairs BEFORE making the deal on the new boat....its bait and switch. Go get the boat from the rip offs.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-26-2016, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Dishonest dealings...they should have been upfront about your trade in boat needing 2500 in repairs BEFORE making the deal on the new boat....its bait and switch. Go get the boat from the rip offs.
it's not a trade in, it's a consignment sale.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-26-2016, 12:17 PM Reply   
OK...so its a consignment sale....they are now demanding he spend 2500 fixing the boat before they can selling it on consignment...big dif
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-26-2016, 2:48 PM Reply   
I sent the guy I was talking to at the dealership an email saying I'll be picking up this weekend. I was polite and stated that I didn't feel the expectations were communicated. No response yet.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-27-2016, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideGull View Post
having a working horn is a coast guard item - its law that your boat has a working built in horn or hand held one. if your navigation lights were not working, they would probably require you to fix that as well.
a cover is also a big deal. get the cover replaced and up the lowest amount you would take by $200.
as someone stated, the boat is a representation of that dealer, but 2,500 may be a little steep. i would put some money into a good detail/buff if needed and tell the dealership you are open to repairing some items if the new customer requests it.
Having a working horn is not a law and the horn "didn't sound good" but was working.

The dealership stated that they would not list the boat unless these repairs were made. If I didn't want to pay for the repairs then it would be sold at wholesale. Repairs at customer request when negotiating final price is a different story.

Last edited by ChaseR720; 01-27-2016 at 6:04 AM.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-27-2016, 6:37 AM Reply   
What is the complete list of things they offered to fix? It may be worth $2500 but you only listed a few examples of the work they wanted to do on the boat.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-27-2016, 7:10 AM Reply   
He gave me the big stuff over the phone and have been waiting for a list of the rest for over a week. I shouldn't have to bug someone to speed up the process of paying for a repair bill.
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-28-2016, 5:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseR720 View Post
Having a working horn is not a law and the horn "didn't sound good" but was working.

The dealership stated that they would not list the boat unless these repairs were made. If I didn't want to pay for the repairs then it would be sold at wholesale. Repairs at customer request when negotiating final price is a different story.
It's law to have a sound producing device on board whether its the boat horn or a handheld device.

Every dealership is different and maybe that is just procedure for them to repair as much as possible.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-28-2016, 10:33 AM Reply   
Right. I was trying to say that the horn isn't a must have (and had some functionality still) and shouldn't be a necessary repair item. I see it as paying them for service hours and inflated parts cost while not putting any substantial value into the boat.

If it was a bent prop or something then I see a need for a fix before sale but items like a "good" sounding horn and custom fit bow cover I see as unnecessary.