Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-26-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
Hey guys I have a 1989 caravelle, I'm in the process of pimping the boat. Saw the new epic boat on trans world website with transom sound. I'm thinking of doing this to my boat. Also in looking at building a tower to mimic the new supra inverted towers. Want to build a swim platform for her and led lighting 360 degrees under water lightning around the boat.
Wanna take and tear out inside and paint the entire gel coat black. Not sure what to use.
I want to know what your ideas are on this and if any of you had any creative names or designs to slap on the wrap it will get soon. (thinking fighter jet)
I need some creative minds to help me out. I wanna go wild on this boat so any crazy ideas will be great.

Thanks guys let the creative juices flow!
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-26-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
We need pics!
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-26-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
I can find a few hull shots. The actual boat is at the marina getting checked out by my bud. I should have her back first of next week. I will find a few photos for reference.

Sorry for the chitty pics guys. All I could find of her online. I will snap the real ones next week sometime.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-26-2012, 10:10 PM Reply   
Oh man.... That's a project.... Between a new swim platform, under water LED, wrap and speakers in the back you're spending 4 times what the boat is worth! Did you bump your head?
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-26-2012, 10:13 PM Reply   
Ya I'll have to agree with mark there's a old saying " you can pour syrup on ****, don't make it pancakes!"
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2012, 10:41 PM Reply   
U asked...........

I will tell you that you are asinine and retarded to even consider all that. While I understand the stoke and wanting to bling out something you own..........save the cash and invest in a true wakeboat. You will get zero return on any mid you do to that boat. However buy an older comp boat and u can sell it for what you paid for it. No loss and if you pimp the compost it will usually get you a return. You mind as well light your Cash on fire if you use it for bling on that.

However a tower will never ever hurt your resale in any boat except an older classic closed bow stars n stripes Mastercraft

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-26-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-27-2012, 12:25 AM Reply   
Don't do it. Save your money.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2012, 3:56 AM Reply   
That is a poor investment.Think of the year model of the boat? What would anyone pay for a 1989 caravelle in mint condition? There you have your answer.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-27-2012, 4:45 AM Reply   
If you want a project, buy an old smoked Correct Craft 2001, mid 80s... pick it up for less than 3-4, put 2 into it and it'll be worth 6 when you sell it, and it's got arguably the best wake of any boat made before 1993.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-27-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
All these comments pretty much sum it up. Dont do it.
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 5:07 AM Reply   
listen to what everyone says. Im sure you got the boat for free or next to nothing and all the cash you have you figure dump it into the boat and pimp the hell out of it. I mean if you're not planning on doing any boarding behind it and just want a boat for the chicks i guess go for it, but if you plan on boarding don't waste your money. Accessorizing boats is the worst investment period. Underwater LEDs are expensive, same as towers and whole systems.... you'll never get the money back. Keep your money and buy something else
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 6:07 AM Reply   
hey guys thanks for the input i may just build a DIY tower for it and call it done maybe get the stereo to play. yes the boat was free has a merc 350 in it and runs good used to put out an ok wake
so where is a good place to buy a smoked 2001? i looked around last year a little for one but no luck locally. if you guys know where i should start turning stones well let me know.
thanks for telling me the honest truth on the boat. seeing my boat is in much better shape than this i may just polish the outside slap a name on it scrap the transom sound and swim platform and start the hunt for a true inboard. iwant an open bow whatever i find and i dont really care what brand of boat. just a good winter project boat
looks like the caravelle will limp me thru the year till i same up some bones.

thanks for the input guys.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-27-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
Not sure what part if the country you're in but craiglist had them listed. Heck...i randomly looked off the side of the highway last night and noticed a 2001 just sitting outside of a mom & pop car service place. Thought about stopping by and offerin them $500 to see if theyd bite.
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Im located in Ga about 2 hours south of atlanta. I will have to start riding these back roads around here hard then i guess.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-27-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/3069768316.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/bod/3165722288.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/3149469001.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/3149353376.html

Quick search around charlotte came up with these under 10,000
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Thanks man. Is there somewhere to find a boar with a salvage title or one that needs an engine?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-27-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp8race1010 View Post
Thanks man. Is there somewhere to find a boar with a salvage title or one that needs an engine?
Yeah just keep your eyes out on clist or your local area. Ive come across many selling for a couple grand. Tey wont appear overnight, you need to find someone who doesnt know anything about the potential gem they have. These guys selling for $9-10k know what they have and someone will pay that price.
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
That's what I thought on the price. I'm honestly looking for a fixer upper. Willing to travel to get her. I will start hitting ga Craig's list and fl Craig's list. If you guys know of one just post up your location and I will check it out thanks.
Now time for the hunt!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-27-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
I'll keep my eye out down here in FL. I know way to much about these 2001s when I was doing my research.

Check out these links to sometime...

http://billsboatworks.m.webs.com/sit...om%2Findex.htm

http://www.planetnautique.com/Correc...nuals/2001.htm
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-27-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
There's one in Virginia, the owner wants 2650. I can't drive down to see it. I bet it needs a lot but if you could see it, whittle him down to 2 grand, it'd be worth it. Trailer doesn't have a title, interior needs work. I assume motor issues and potential structural issues from the sounds of it
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-27-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
Everybody is on the right page, start with a better base to pimp and then go nuts but know you'll never get your money back out of the accessories when it's time to sell.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-27-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
Don't throw good money after bad. If you just want a boat to ride behind just do the bare minimum so it runs and floats. Save your money for an inboard. Under $10k is all wood boats, check stringers good or you'll be in for a $3k-$5k winter project.

Also note you'll never get anywhere near your money out of those types of upgrades and add-ons. Do what you want, but keeping it simple clean and functional might be best unless you plan to have the boat for a LONG time.
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
you asked. SELL IT. that is as creative as I can get. the last 10 posts sum up just about everything that makes any sense. find it a good home and get an inboard. nuff said.
Old    kx250frider617            07-27-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
clean it up, fix what ever is wrong with it, and sell it for as much as its worth. You'll have nice little down payment for a different boat.
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
thanks for the links.
as for the boat in VA is there some way to get any pics of it? and on my 89 caravelle im gonna get her running and slap a homeade tower up on her and cram the a$$ end with fat chicks to throw some steller wake. (maybe not fat chicks might be easier to just buy fat sacs, lol).

can you find newer boats that have been run aground or blown engines? or are the newer boats just built really well? im pretty handy with fiberglass so i could patch a busted hull if need be.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-27-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
as for the boat in VA is there some way to get any pics of it? and on my 89 caravelle im gonna get her running and slap a homeade tower up on her and cram the a$$ end with fat chicks to throw some steller wake. (maybe not fat chicks might be easier to just buy fat sacs, lol).

can you find newer boats that have been run aground or blown engines? or are the newer boats just built really well? im pretty handy with fiberglass so i could patch a busted hull if need be.
I hate to ask but whats the hard on with buying another crapped out boat? You have one that doesn't run and you want another? buy a 2001 and have a real boat. Not sure how big your fat chicks are and it might be alil cramped but atleast you would have a real boat. 2001's are not that much. I'm having a hard time finding any rational thought here. Just sell the boat cheap/fast and get into another boat. You are talking thousands of dollars to polish a turd. I wouldn't waste a dime on that boat. its gonna be hard enough to get rid of.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-27-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
Look on www.LOWmarine.com
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-27-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
btw, I have no affiliation with this boat, if I was local and could talk to the seller in person, I may have bought it...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
1. Get the boat running
2. Get some fat sacks and see if you can make a decent wake with it
3. Find a extended pylon setup for an I/O on craigslist for $150 or less
4. Go enjoy the boat with people you like to talk, stereo systems are expensive, save your money for gas, spend more time wakeboarding and less time working on an old boat
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 5:58 PM Reply   
As of today boat is up and running. Needs a prop. Looks like this one ate up a sand bed. Water tested with no leaks. I have a ton of pipe laying behind the shop that will become the tower. The cd player actually worked and all the electrical stuff seems to be functional. Trailer needs tires. I was gonna cut and buff gel coat to see if it will shine a little. I have all the stuff to do it and plenty of time.
As I know this boat is not gonna sell for much I plan on running this beast till she goes. It has 779 hours on it and was a one owner boat. The older couple used it for ten years then health got bad and stored it away.
So it was better than I expected. And best of all my buddy checked it out at no charge.
All the crazy ideas are out. Gonna get where I can get in some board time behind her.
As for fat sacks what placement will net you a decent wake?

I honestly thank you guys for the input.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-27-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
Just be careful building ur own tower. It could turn out catastrophic and hurt someone pretty bad if its not done correctly.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-27-2012, 6:10 PM Reply   
Build a tower,maybe throw some budget speaks on it,get some sacs(you can use them in the next boat,so no $ wasted) go have fun til you can upgrade.I rode an I/O for 15 years and had fun every minute of it.An extended pylon is a cheap effective alternative to building a tower.I had a Waylon pole in mine,if you can fine one,they work great.It's also removable.

Last edited by wakebrdjay; 07-27-2012 at 6:14 PM.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-27-2012, 6:19 PM Reply   
http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...6781/index.asp
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 6:19 PM Reply   
Tower construction should be no prob. I am a welder by trade and have been in the trade for 5 years now. It will be well built and thoroughly inspected before anyone uses it. No law suits needed!
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-27-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
The tower is gonna be 6061 al since I have 40+ feet laying behind the shop from a prior job. Gotta tig rig that will make some real nice welds on it. Biggest task will designing the mount to hull and a release system when it's not needed/storing her in the shop
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Check eBay,weld on feet and mounting bracket sets available there sometimes.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-28-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
Ebay is iffy at best. Its all DIY wake stuff. Check E-Tec metal supply or Eastern Metal Supply. 1/2 the cost and better stuff. Both have web sites.
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-28-2012, 3:28 PM Reply   
Ok thanks guys will check that out.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-28-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
This cracks me up. You all want to send free stuff to the guy in the fakesetter thread,and if that ain't polishing a turd I don't know what is. Everyone gives him props for making due with what he has but this guy and others get told they have a POS and it is not worth anything because its not a v-drive .I can see not spending an unreasonable amount of money on it but if he wants to get into wakeboarding and enjoying the water and this is what allows him to do so than who is anyone here to stop him. The constructive criticism is one thing but the post above are just ridiculous thanks. You can now start flaming

Last edited by gravity; 07-28-2012 at 3:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (Sp8race1010)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-29-2012, 9:17 PM Reply   
Thanks gravity, I'm gonna keep her subtle for now. Will update pics this week.
Old     (J720)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-30-2012, 11:49 AM Reply   
Sell me the Caravelle when you're done using it! I'll drive to Georgia! Lol
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-30-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
This cracks me up. You all want to send free stuff to the guy in the fakesetter thread,and if that ain't polishing a turd I don't know what is. Everyone gives him props for making due with what he has but this guy and others get told they have a POS and it is not worth anything because its not a v-drive .I can see not spending an unreasonable amount of money on it but if he wants to get into wakeboarding and enjoying the water and this is what allows him to do so than who is anyone here to stop him. The constructive criticism is one thing but the post above are just ridiculous thanks. You can now start flaming
I didn't send anything but if you guys get a wild hair I need a wakesurf board and another 1000lbs of ballast lol