Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-15-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
Sup gang been lurking for a few weeks and thought I would toss up a few pics of my project.
It's a 85 Supra Marauder skier. I picked it up a month ago for 1k. Bad floors no interior but the motor runs like a champ, good comp on all 8 that was a plus. Anyways I have had the hull and inside refinished, I put new floors, carpet, new guages, new steering and controls. I'm in the process of finishing the interior. Still need a tower and install the auto ballast. Lots to do still. Anyways heres a few pics of my progress.

needed to wash it after putting in floor
Upload
traction deck for bow
Upload
jump seat build
Upload

I'll post more pics tomorrow
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-15-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
Nice, keep us updated. How did you refinish the hull?
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-15-2008, 9:31 PM Reply   
Had it painted at a custom paint shop they gave me a life time warranty. Cost me 3k!
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-15-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
Jeeze $3K looks good though.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-15-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
Isn't this the closed bow version of the Sunsport, or is the hull a little different?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-15-2008, 10:21 PM Reply   
original gangster gansta? jk Nice work man looks like it's gonna be nice.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-16-2008, 3:22 AM Reply   
Stephen yes its the closed bow version of the sunsport. Same hull
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       07-16-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
Absolutely gorgeous! Great great looking boat... well worth every penny you've spent.

Can't wait to see it with a blacked out tower and maybe some trailer work?

Awesome work man - congrats on such a sick looking boat.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
Yeah, that looks really nice. Are you going to redo the entire interior and replace the orange seats/dash? What colors are you going with on the interior? What tower are you thinking? Keep us posted!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
Dude that looks F-ing Sick I love it
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-16-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Very cool... can't wait to see it progress
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-16-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Cool project!

Is it me or does every house on the street look the same? Where is that?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
I would make sure you use marine plywood otherwise you will be replacing your interior in a few years.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Looks nice there are a few other 80's Supra SunSport owners on WW. Gotta love the all black. I have a black Monster Tower if you wanna see what that looks like in link below...

Here's the other SunSport thread active now:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/590245.html?1216182249
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
Shane, dude what % is your windshield tinted at ? That shiz is dark
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
O.G. gangsta?? Would that be original gangsta gangsta?

lol
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
It's Da O.G.G. Kinda Like The Dogg
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Sweet, cant wait to see the finished product!
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
Wouldn't want to touch that black top deck after its been in the sun more than 5 minutes! You're gonna burn your buttocks on that. Looks good so far though, lot of work to be done. Seems like a lot smaller project until you get into doing it huh!?
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-16-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for the props guys. I'll try to answer all your questions.
1.Onlyinboards, the interior isnt orange lol, bad cell phone pics, its Cardinal red. All the interior is red with black piping.
2.Sam, damn near. F-ing mobile home park!!
3.Dave, I sealed all the wood 3 times before laying the carpet.
4.Wakemikey, been peeping both threads you guys have. I didnt want to hijack it with my pics.
5.Montgomery. 2 layers Limo tint in most pics, painted inside glass on others. Going back to the limo tint. Coulndt see thru either lol. Going with 1 layer of limo.
6. The O.G gangsta was an brain fart.
7. Jason, yup its hot but I wanted it murdered out.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
It's F-ing sick I love it. I always wanted to murder mine out. I absolutely love the way it looks with no decals. Black with Red interior dude that is badass nice work
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-16-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Now on to some more plans I have, Trailer is getting bedlined black all LED's lights, 20" wheels to go with my jeep with 20's. It's murdered out also.
Black tower of coarse. I have eliminated all colors except the red for the interior. As of right now everything is gloss black, or satin black.
I plan on taking the rubber out of the rub rail and bed lining the aluminum and putting black rope in place of the rubber. (correct craft style)
I have plans for a in-dash dvd touch screen,1 11.5" tv in the engine cover cubby, 6 12's, 8 mids and highs and 2 wet sounds 485's so 4 speakers on the tower(2 enclosures)
bunch of other tid bits.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-16-2008, 6:51 PM Reply   
Few more pics.
Stripped and naked white hull.
Upload
red interior
Upload
4 foot sundeck for the ladies
Upload
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-16-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
This is going to be nice, I have always wanted to do a project 2001, but if I find one of these, I may go this direction instead. More room and lots of freeboard.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2008, 5:12 AM Reply   
So did you spray the whole boat while it was apart I assume? Looks sharp. What did you use for paint?
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-17-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
Yes I stripped it down so no tape lines. They used sikkens, Not my choice of paints but, its what they use on all their work.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-18-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
Nicest trailer park I've ever seen.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-18-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
dude that is sick! these boats are sweet. I have an 86.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-18-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
you need to put a stabbin' cabin up front! can't tell if you have room to or not. Sick boat lookin good.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
Shane, my whole trailer is Linexed and it is awesome. So easy to keep clean and there are no rock chips. If you need a place to get LED's let me know. My company is a heavy-duty/industrial electric wholesaler. We sell Grote, trucklite and Peterson lights. I can get almost anything style light in LED.

Bakes here in Seattle does a real cool thing with there trailers. They put clear oval lights in the the fender wells so it lights up the tire area when backing up.

By the way. That boat is gangsta gangsta at the top of the list.

(Message edited by polarbill on July 18, 2008)
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-18-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for the mad props, funny thing is I almost didnt buy the boat, it was on craigslist for almost 2 months and I kept holding out for something with less work. I finally said F-it! Glad I did now.

Brett you guys have a website?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
Not one that is worth anything. Here are some websites for the brands we sell.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GenericView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&pageName=/home.jsp

http://www.grote.com/

http://www.pmlights.com/techterms.cfm
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
Shane, I get the best deal on Grote product. They make a good range of LED stop/tail/turns as well as clearance/marker lights. If you look at their online catalog supernova stuff has lifetime warranty.

Dude, that red interior is so nasty.

(Message edited by polarbill on July 18, 2008)
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-18-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Brett thanks for the info. I will check them out soon.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-18-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Well I got my jump seat and engine cover back from the interior dude. Jump seat is a little different than what I had explained to him. Oh well I'll change it later. I also bought my wood to build my swim platform. 3/4" sanded walnut. Gonna stain it bombay mahagony (deep red). should look sweet. I was able to rough in the shape but need to cut it down a bit.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
3/4" ? Might be a little thin. Every is looking good
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-18-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
The teak platform was 3/4", should be fine I hope. lol
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-18-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
This is looking better and better, the red is a bold choice, but it looks great.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-19-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
What a great thread! Excellent job on your boat! I can't wait to see what she looks like all finished!
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-19-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Well I finished the swim deck today, Though I had to go to plan B. Anyone ever used Minwax's POLY SHADES stain? What a F-n abortion that turned out to be. It has the stain and polyeurathane all in 1 step. Needless to say I am no stain man. Anyways turned out I had left over carpet from the inside and I covered it with that. Looks decent and killed 2 birds with one stone. I dont have to buy any traction foam stuff now.
What you think?
Upload
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-19-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Another pic.
This pic shows how big the sun deck is. I also have mad storage under it for the sac and other gear plus still have full use of the ski locker. The engine cover lifts off now instead of flipping back. I have Stainless latches to hold that down.
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-19-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
When I have some weight in the boat (1000lbs) the platform is totally underwater.

Were you able to retain a rear seat?? Or was that sacrificed for the sun deck
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-19-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
Wakemikey, no I had to ditch it. My wife like to lay out when we are just chillin, the ski locker pad wasnt going to cut it.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2008, 11:20 PM Reply   

quote:

By Shane Miller (hematoma) on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 8:36 pm:

Wakemikey, no I had to ditch it. My wife like to lay out when we are just chillin, the ski locker pad wasnt going to cut it.

You can do both, look at boats like the Direct Drive Calabria Cal-Air. The built in arm rests for the back bench double a support for the seat. When it's up there, it goes with the padded rear locker cover and makes a large (for small DD boat) sun pad. I had one and used it as a sunpad all of the time.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
bad a$$ boat dude, i have an x-star and some people with them will look at this boat and say psh i have an x-star, i look at this boat and say dayyuumm id whip that in a sec, sikk a$$ murder mobile dude, keep up the good work!
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Shane,
What did you use on he bow? is it like gaor grip or something like it? I am looking 4 something to go in place of my teak and had some gator grip laying around but wasnt sure how it would look.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I was curious about that too it looks sick
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-21-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
look's like Hydro-turf.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-21-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
I can't wait to see it when it's all done. You have definitely turned that thing around. I really like the red interior as well.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
I don't know if I could do all black in TX, but it looks badass. I love project boats. This reminds me of that 'haters suck' Sunsport from a couple years back. Very nice work, keep it up. MORE PICS!!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2008, 12:43 AM Reply   
incredible job!! :-)
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-23-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
Beautiful boat! Love what you've done with it. Great vision to take something like the earlier pic and turn it into what you did. Very impressed!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-24-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Nice!! I'm diggin the red in those new pics. Looks good!

I like your split sunpad idea. Mine is HUGE and I may redo it like yours., sucks making ppl move to get to sac/storage/vests whatever.. looks good.

Couple observations: can you get to plug (sac pumps and valves or whatever else you need in the engine bay) with the doghouse flipping fwd? Or are you flipping it fwd? "lifts off" may get old... i have a sunpad on mine and still flip the doghouse back. Doesn't sound like it would be a problem, just a few things to consider. I also put gas shocks (gate lifts) on my sunpad to hold the weight.. not sure if that part of the reasoning or not.

I also noticed your platform looks flush with the transom. I don't see any hooks back there, but you want to plan out transom straps for when she's on the trailer.

She's lookin good man!! Love to see a good restore on these old boats....
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-25-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
Hey kids I have been in Louisiana workin for the past 5 days. Sucks wasnt able to work on her at all this week.

Snippy Tyno, and those wanting to know about the traction deck on the bow. Its called Sticky bumps traction pad. We use it on Surfboards to get traction instead of waxing the deck. I bought a pack for a 10' long board, its pre cut( takes out the pain of making straight cuts). Good stuff.

Ryan, Lol I'm sure there will be haters, but the boat will speak for its self.

Nacho, I have openings under the pad to access the ballast sac and other things. The pad is 2 parts. The front part is hinged and has an 12" electric acuator for opening. The part over the ski locker is also hinged with a acuator also. I'll snap some pics today.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-25-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
Any good link to vendor of Sticky Bumps?
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-25-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
WakeMikey, this is a link to exactly what I bought. I picked it up at a surf shop near my house though.

http://www.stickebumps.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=33
Old     (ldp_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-25-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
Shane, I came up with an idea for your sundeck/rear seat while here at work as it being Friday and can not see my self doing anymore work. Maybe put some sort of rail/track system that can be installed at the edges of your sundeck/seat forms and on the inside of your boat. Check out the attached picture. I thought of some sort of rotating point but I don't think that would work. This way when it is in the sundeck position it can also be stabilized by folding the backrest down and also act as a locker. When it is in the seat position the backrest will simply rotate into place.
Upload
Old     (ldp_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-25-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Shane,
Just read some of your other posts and it looks like you already have your sundeck already planned out. That should be pretty sweet with the actuators.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
shane, that boat looks so sick. Nice use of left-over carpet for your swim deck... if that doesnt work out too well, or if it does not last, you can always have your deck rhino lined or line-x'd. the previous owner of my boat rhino lined the teak swim deck and I am super happy with it, even though i love and hate teak.

also, what do you plan on using for transom protection from boards?
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-25-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
Jesse, thanks for the blueprint, lol, Thanks for trying think up something, I changed some things today made it about 8" shorter. I want to hide the sac thats under it and still give wife some lay out room plus have rear seats/storage. I got it, I think

John, thanks bro the swim deck turned out to be an abortion and the carpet was an after thought. We will see how long it last.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
oh and I read that you were going to get rid of the chrome rub rail... I was thinking along those lines, you could powder coat all your rings and hardware black. real cheap.

I used a $50 home powder coat gun, $15 of powder, and my oven to powder coat all my levers and rear sets on my streetbike... real easy to do.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-26-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Hmmm, thats an idea. I always heard not to use the same oven you cook with though? Did it jack with the taste of food afterwards?
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-26-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
I dont think Id be too comfortable with plywood for the swim platform. Its gonna spend time underwater, constantly dripped on, and teh carpet will only keep the wood completely soaked.

Have you considered plastic lumber? You could probably make a decent platform out of a couple pieces of decking, and it wont rot EVER.

Oh, and everything else is SICK!!! What a great job!
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-26-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
Thanks Tony, I have explored many options. I did stain/eruethane the f'k out of it so maybe it will be water tight, lol. If not I'll think of something.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
Got the boat lake worhty as far as lights,bilge, blower and safty stuff. Wired all that and bought the safty stuff, I was able to finish alot of odd and end stuff. Getting closer.....

Went to put it in the water to do a test run and I dont have forward? I have reverse but forward doesnt engage? Any ideas, Im thinking the cable needs adjusting at the trans.

Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by hematoma on July 27, 2008)
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
look so freaking bad ass but i think this sundeck will be a lil too hot in black for those ladies haha
Old     (da_mose)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Damm that is the sweetest looking Rider I have ever seen can't wait to see what it going to look like with a tower. I put a tower on my old Sun Sport it made it look like a new Launch haha.
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
Wake addict, theirs red pads that cover the black deck, lol. They are going to the interior guy here shortly.

cmosley, thanks for the props, I have busted azz on it for 2 months plus work 60 to 80 hrs at my job a week. Been rough lol.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-29-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
That trailer has got to be painted black!
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-29-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
Lol one thing at a time grasshopper.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-29-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
looking great man!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-30-2008, 12:26 AM Reply   
yeah shane... i used my oven 5 months ago for powder coating. hasnt affected the taste of food or my brain. or my brain. or my brain function yet!!
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-31-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
John, where did you get your powder equipment at? thanks
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2008, 5:26 AM Reply   
I would seriously leave some things chrome. What is the point of black hardware? It scratches easily... Isn't black and chrome gangsta enough? Where do you live anyways? :-)
Old     (lennyp04)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-01-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
Dude, sweet project. Now you need 22's on the trailer! And gotta leave a little chrome hardware. Love the black and red gangsta look!
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
Man I cant stand anything thats chrome or polished, water and that sh@t dont jive well together. Powder coat is pretty tough, I also may go with a red anodized with the cleats and gas fill. Dont know yet.......
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-02-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Looks killer. Sundeck will definitely be smokin'. Make sure you lay a towel down or it will be a long day on the water.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
Shane, if you decide to not use carpet on your deck you could always rhino line it black that stuff is heat resistant I have it on mine and its awesome
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-07-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
Finally was able to start on the trailor (bedliner) and replaced the rub rail. I bedlined it and replaced the rubber in it.Still have a bit to go on the trailor frame under the boat, I have a new dolly jack and gonna get a new winch. Getting closer.
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-07-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
So what tower you putting on this bad boy?