Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
I would like to think I don't have owners goggle's on, I think I give a pretty fair assessment of everything I've ridden behind. And I think all boat mfr's let a lemon slip through once in a while. In no way is my boats interior and fit and finish as close to my friends other boats. And I laughed at the salesmen when he tried to tell me that. He made some stupid comment about how good the wake was, Also laughed at him for that ( I could see a good starting point).

Whatever boat someone chooses I hope they enjoy it, Because nothing is worse then buyers remorse. It might be a great deal but if it is a color you don't really like I bet when it is sitting in your driveway during the winter you will question if it's worth it or not.

Please NO POWER TURNS
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Oh 1 more thing, Adam hit me up about riding Sat or Sun. I'm going Sat but not sure if I'm hitting Elkhorn or KL

Moomba....No worries
Moomba ....Don't underestimate me

Sorry couldn't help it, It's part of theyre sales pitches....lol
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-22-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
If you are not sure about what boat to get, figure out what your priorities are as far as what you want to get out of the boat (i.e space, wake, interior, handling). Figure out your budget, then demo boats in that price range. When you demo the different boats, you will be able to tell not only the cosmetic differences but feel the differences in the way the boat performs. If you go this route you will be confident you made a good decision.
Old    mojo            07-22-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
i would start off with a budget. then find a boat with a wake you like. after that take into account the interior lay out/features, appearance, and condition.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-23-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
I love my Moomba, I love the payment, I love that it runs great, I love having a good time with family and friends. End state thats all that counts. I have a career, I don't plan to be a pro wakeboarder therefore I don't need a 60k boat with "The Best Wake". Im married, I don't need "bling". I like my "small" stereo. I also like that its all white (no water spots)

Ok I do hate the low freeboard but it looks cool slammed out.

Oh I also like my small underpowered stock rimmed Ram 1500 with the 4.7
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-23-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
LOL your killin me smallz, And Jay I'll take your interior sound over mine any day ! It sounds excellent in your cabin.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-23-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
thx jeff
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-24-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
How tall are the freeboards on a 06 and up moomba lsv. Also, how tall is it from the butt seat to the floor? Thank's for any help!!!
Old    ScottRobinson            07-24-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
Wow you guys are out of control. Buy whatever you like man. I have a 2011 Epic 23V and love it. It's not a "big three" but last I checked it was the boat I wanted and didn't care about anyone else but me!
Old     (CrashMan)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-24-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
Scott I like your attitude. I bought a Moomba last year because it was a boat that fit my needs and it's the boat I could afford without taking out a loan and it's been nothing but great. Did it impress my neighbor? guess not cause he bought a supra launch 24. My friend got a tige. I've had lots of fun behind all of them.
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-25-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
We really like our 08 Moomba LS. It's our first tow boat. I don't see us getting rid of it anytime soon. It may not have all the bells and whistles of the "big three" but it suits our needs perfectly. And, I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to buy it. Cheers.
Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-25-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
jay G - funny , i have the same set-up

unpowered ram and moomba lsv...but the wake is big and the truck pulls it...

i love it too....but the small stereo part ...had to fix...got some tower speakers and a solobaric with an extra battery...

nice taste bud
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-25-2010, 11:04 AM Reply   
One other option is to go over to the Moomba website and ask people who have them what they like and dislike about them.

I own an '08 Supra 22, a skiers choice product, has been a fantastic boat, everyone who rides in my boat comments on the quality fit and finish, how comfortable the boat is, functional ammenities it has, and most important how it throws a real nice wakeboard wake, just turned 215 hours on it. Couple minor warranty items that were taken care of by the dealer. However, my only gripe is the '08 and later models (this includes Moomba) had a very poorly designed ballast fill system. I had to re-do my fill system and now it works great, and the '09 and newer models now have a much better impeller driven system on them.

Looking at the Moomba line of boats, I believe the older 2000-2005 models are a little on the cheap side, it appears they are building a much better line with the newer years. Especially the 2010-11 models...

Just my .02.... here is the Moomba website address. Good luck with your search, I hope you get something you truly will enjoy, because at the end of the day thats what its about.

http://moomba.com/msgboard/index.php

Last edited by fman; 07-25-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-25-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
One other option is to go over to the Moomba website and ask people who have them what they like and dislike about them.
Just beware of the "Super Moderator" aka "God Almighty". Say anything negative over there and he's real quick to whip out his ban stick. Do not challenge! If he doesn't get his way he just bans people so they can't say anything except what he likes.

Certain people on the Skier's Choice forums do not deserve moderator priveledges. They abuse their power..... I'm not the only one that says this. I"ve had phone calls and PM's from other members that agree.

He'll probably ban me from the Supra forums for this statement BTW.
Old    mojo            07-25-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
i know that the mastercraft forum is owned by mc so they remove any negative posts and talks of other manufacturers, at least noticeable ones. not sure about other from the site communities.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-25-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
The Supra and Moomba forum is owned by SC, but it doesn't seem like they pay much attention to it. The mods are mostly just members.
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
I may be a little late to this party, but as a Moomba owner I wanted to chime in.

I began shopping for my first boat in winter of 2007. Knew I wanted a smaller boat, about 21' and I knew I wanted a V-drive. Looked closely at the X1, VLX, Sanger 215, and Moomba Outback V and Moomba LSV. As a new boater, I had no idea what I would eventually love/hate about the different boats. It was hard for me to predict problems with ergonomics, controls, ballast system pros and cons, etc.

What it came down to for me was this:

As a new boater, I didn't know the first thing about maintenance and potential problem areas. New boat warranty was HUGELY attractive to me.

Every boat I looked at was basically a hull, a tower, and a motor. I may catch some flak from some of you guys for that, and I know there are differences in construction methods, materials, etc. But from my noob perspective, they were all about the same. The difference was in gadgets and things more subject to personal preference than saying something is good/bad, like interior layout and stereo.

I purchased a 2007 Moomba Outback V new from a dealer in spring of 2008. I got it for a good price, and had the new boat warranty and smell.

We just turned 500 hours on the boat last week, so I have a very good feel at this point of what I like and don't like. I've also spent time on Bu, MC and CC boats Are the Moomba cushions thinner? Yep. Are the knobs and latches and hinges a little more flimsy? Yep. Is the ballast system a little more of a PITA than the others? Yep. Would any of this keep me from buying this same boat again? NO WAY.

My boat runs flawlessly every time I turn the key. The one issue I had with vapor lock on my fuel pump was resolved quickly under warranty, and that was more of an Indmar issue that a Moomba issue. It has served me well, and has been a great way to gauge what I want and don't want in a boat without dropping a ton of cash in the process.

I'm looking to upgrade over the winter to something that will hold more people, and owning this boat has given me a great feel for what I really want and what I don't really need. I was talking to the dealer about trade in last week, and he told me he would probably have my boat sold before I even actually gave it to them. Price point used boats are selling well down here in TX, so I'm not worried about getting a good price for it.

I highly recommend a new Moomba as a starter wakeboat. Warranty is great, and it's basic enough that you aren't going to spend a ton of money on accessories/features that you may not like. The wakeboard and surf wake is plenty for beginner/intermediate riders.

The two features that are factoring the most in my next boat are hard tank ballast, and rotating drivers seat. Those are the two things I really wish I had on my boat. Are they worth the extra $$? Now they are. Three years ago when I was shopping for my first boat? Nope. I would buy this boat again in a heartbeat.

MC, Bu, CC, Supra, Sanger, and the others are all great boats. There are differences, but let's be honest, Moomba is a price point boat. Nothing wrong with that. Cheaper doesn't mean cheap, just less expensive. And let me tell you, my boat has been used. It has held up very well to steady use by a lot of people.

Good luck with whichever boat you go with!

Aaron in Austin
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2010, 11:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_boss View Post
I may be a little late to this party, but as a Moomba owner I wanted to chime in.

I began shopping for my first boat in winter of 2007. Knew I wanted a smaller boat, about 21' and I knew I wanted a V-drive. Looked closely at the X1, VLX, Sanger 215, and Moomba Outback V and Moomba LSV. As a new boater, I had no idea what I would eventually love/hate about the different boats. It was hard for me to predict problems with ergonomics, controls, ballast system pros and cons, etc.

What it came down to for me was this:

As a new boater, I didn't know the first thing about maintenance and potential problem areas. New boat warranty was HUGELY attractive to me.

Every boat I looked at was basically a hull, a tower, and a motor. I may catch some flak from some of you guys for that, and I know there are differences in construction methods, materials, etc. But from my noob perspective, they were all about the same. The difference was in gadgets and things more subject to personal preference than saying something is good/bad, like interior layout and stereo.

I purchased a 2007 Moomba Outback V new from a dealer in spring of 2008. I got it for a good price, and had the new boat warranty and smell.

We just turned 500 hours on the boat last week, so I have a very good feel at this point of what I like and don't like. I've also spent time on Bu, MC and CC boats Are the Moomba cushions thinner? Yep. Are the knobs and latches and hinges a little more flimsy? Yep. Is the ballast system a little more of a PITA than the others? Yep. Would any of this keep me from buying this same boat again? NO WAY.

My boat runs flawlessly every time I turn the key. The one issue I had with vapor lock on my fuel pump was resolved quickly under warranty, and that was more of an Indmar issue that a Moomba issue. It has served me well, and has been a great way to gauge what I want and don't want in a boat without dropping a ton of cash in the process.

I'm looking to upgrade over the winter to something that will hold more people, and owning this boat has given me a great feel for what I really want and what I don't really need. I was talking to the dealer about trade in last week, and he told me he would probably have my boat sold before I even actually gave it to them. Price point used boats are selling well down here in TX, so I'm not worried about getting a good price for it.

I highly recommend a new Moomba as a starter wakeboat. Warranty is great, and it's basic enough that you aren't going to spend a ton of money on accessories/features that you may not like. The wakeboard and surf wake is plenty for beginner/intermediate riders.

The two features that are factoring the most in my next boat are hard tank ballast, and rotating drivers seat. Those are the two things I really wish I had on my boat. Are they worth the extra $$? Now they are. Three years ago when I was shopping for my first boat? Nope. I would buy this boat again in a heartbeat.

MC, Bu, CC, Supra, Sanger, and the others are all great boats. There are differences, but let's be honest, Moomba is a price point boat. Nothing wrong with that. Cheaper doesn't mean cheap, just less expensive. And let me tell you, my boat has been used. It has held up very well to steady use by a lot of people.

Good luck with whichever boat you go with!

Aaron in Austin
Put it in pretty good perspective there man. I know what I would look for in a boat today, would be much different from what I looked for when we got our current boat. You just end up getting a feel for what really matters,

I do think the looks of the moombas have really improved past few years. Ive never been in one, so I cant speak from experience, but I do like the looks. Almost like a simpler Supra older Bu look too them.

Wouldnt be my first choice...but wouldnt be my last.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-26-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Just a quick chime in about bags vs. hard tanks....

When I bought my Supra I was a little hesitant about the bags, after using them and being able to easily upgrade from 400 to 750 lbs and have auto fill/drain at the touch of a button they have grown on me. Only gripe is no gauges, but after you use them for awhile its easy to overcome this. And the 2010 models now have ballast monitoring on them with the V.I.S.I.O.N and you can set bags at different fill % which is a great upgrade. If you start reading threads on this site, a large majority (not everyone) who have hard tanks end up adding bags because the hard tanks dont supply enough weight to get the desired wake for boarding or surfing.

With the Z-5 rack, using up the ski locker space with bags is not a problem, because I only stow vests and ropes in the lockers. The fly hi ballast bag/Z-5 rack is a great combo to have.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-26-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Are the Moomba cushions thinner? Yep
Keep in mind that in 08' they upgraded to dual density foam. Much nicer in the 08+ models.
Old    mojo            07-26-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
i ended up removing the hard tanks from my x-2(now x-1) and just throwing some 750's on the floor. provided more storage and an easier way to add weight. i have wedge tanks in my 210 and while i enjoy having guages, they aren't needed and i'll probably take them out at some point and put in bags. once again you get more storage when not in use and it's easier than dealing with over flow vents and what not. my only problem with buying a moomba or the like "as a starter boat" is that if you buy one new, and decide to upgrade a few years down the road you are taking a huge hit. while you should make sure you are going to be an inboard guy for life i still think that if you plan to just upgrade to something bigger or with more bells and whistles that may be where to start rather than move to.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-26-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
This thread is too funny. Seriously though I have a Moomba and love it. If i could have afforded a Bu or MC would I have got one instead? Heck yeah I would have. I got what I could afford. Its been a trouble free rig and i've not only had an awsome time using the boat but also doing a crap load of upgrades on it over the last few years, something i wouldnt have had to do if I spent more money on a higher end boat.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-26-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
this thread is going to have more posts than the BOOBS FOR BALLAST thread.LOL
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2010, 8:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
this thread is going to have more posts than the BOOBS FOR BALLAST thread.LOL
BTW we needa get that thread rolling again!!! along with the boat bun thread haha.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-27-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
I have a 2007 Moomba. It is my first wakeboarding boat. My family, friends, and I have enjoyed the boat every time we use it. Great starter boat for the Money hands down. I also looked at several different manufacturers of boats. I just, at the time, could not afford a different boat. I have done several upgrades to the boat, from upgrading the stereo to upgrading the ballast system. I do plan on upgrading in the future to a bigger boat. I have acquired more peeps that love to be on the water. That's why I need a bigger boat. Not sure on what I want. As of now, my boat is awesome and have no real complaints. Just as mentioned above, i also upgraded to a Z5 Cargo Rack. By far the best upgrade for the money I have ever done. Plus it make the boat look even better. People always ask me, "Who make that Bimini?"
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-27-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
About Z-5. Just got back from week long trip on Center Hill Lake. Here is how much gear you can put on a Z-5 Cargo Rack. 3 surf boards, 1 air chair, 1 wakeboard and a floaty chair for the wife.

My first Skiers Choice boat was a 98 Moomba that really sold me on the brand. I have been fortunate enough to been able to buy the Supra's over the last few years. That Moomba was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Attached Images

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-27-2010, 7:56 PM Reply   
Looks like you can easily surpass the 50 lb limit Z-5 rates them at!!!! Wow, thats a lot of gear... but I second the Z-5, will never buy another boat without one!
Old    1lab_trainer            07-31-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
You guys are great. I am from a Mastercraft, Supra and Tige background and I think it is great to not see in this Moomba thread brand bashing. Because of the economy and hit I took we sold our Tige 20V which we really enjoyed it from a performance and recreational viewpoint. It also was great value price point when I bought it at the end of the 2007 season.

I am researching so once I recover from the economy I am looking for what might serve my family needs without busting the bank. Moomba looks like something worth looking at in the 2009 and newer models. Foam has been upgraded, freeboard has improved and a couple of other items so it made the test drive list in the future. I don't need all the bells and whistles for a max of 20 weekend season and 1-2 1 week vacations on some of the White River lakes.
Thanks for all the info in your discussions.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-31-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
I know its a Moomba post but I couldnt help chiming in..

I sold my 08 Mastercraft bought a 07 Supra ssv24 & had enough left over for a good down payment on my lakehouse... I have all my service work done & a Moomba dealership, They are awesome... And I love my boat, the power, size, quality, dependiablity, and most importantly the WAKE...